Sponsored

Question on putting a Turbocharger on a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Is putting a turbocharger and getting the Ecoboost's HP up to 500hp going to be the equivalent of having a V8? Below is the one I was looking at.

My 2016 Ecoboost manual was used as a commuter car for years and is high enough in miles that it's not worth very much. It's still running great though so I'm wondering if doing some upgrades for a few thousand would be a better idea than buying a new car. Or even upgrading to a V8 Mustang.

https://ffperformance.co/product/pr...d-mustang-ecoboost-nx2-upgraded-turbocharger/
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Tune Plus recommends 400 or so max for a stock engine. The quote below is from the Tune Plus website.

" Power Potential of 550whp on Focus RS, and 450whp on Ecoboost Mustang. Both will require built engines/port injection to make that power, on stock engine cars we will limit the power to 400whp on Mustang, and 420whp on RS (E30 Minimum Required! ".

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I think the term "a few thousand " you use is probably optimistic. From what I read on the site you posted you're going to need to spend $3500-4500 in parts and up to $7k if you want to optimize it.. And then there's labor to consider.. Are you willing and able to do the work or will you have to get a shop involved? If, as referenced above, you plan on a stock engine you probably won't get to 500hp. Now if you plan to build the block then probably. Another thing to consider is the stock headgasket/headbolts are not the strongest and will a high milage engine even be able to handle the added power/ boost??
And that's not even getting into the whole V8 mystique.
I love my ecoboost convertible but if I wanted V8 power! I'd sell it and get a V8. In the long run it will be far simpler and more reliable.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
What's your plan for it? Return to daily, street sleeper or fun at the track ride? Me? I'd build it reliably past stock, turbocharged, add the proper suspension bits, good brakes, then go tear up the local autocross emabarrasing all of us heavy/boatie V8 wanna bee's. You can do it!

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....I'm wondering if doing some upgrades for a few thousand.....
It would be $7,000.00 + a built block + labor (figure $25,000+) to get to 500HP.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
It would be $7,000.00 + a built block + labor (figure $25,000+) to get to 500HP.

A built short block is $4300.00 and is rated to 650whp, ported head is $3700.00. Add labor cost to assemble your components. Another option is a Long block and that costs $10,150.00. Now you need to add a 4 port fuel injection system at $1400.00, turbo $2100.00 on up, tuning package with accessport $820.00 on up. You are at $8k and change just for upgrades not including motor. I'd think you might need a bigger low pressure fuel pump as well. It ain't gonna be cheap. You could put a turbo, port fuel injection with a tune and get 400 whp and call it a day for cheaper, but 500 plus is going to be quite pricey. Oh don't forget, you are gonna have to run E30 fuel blend minimum. Good luck.

I came from the Ecoboost platform and have experience with this.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
What's your plan for it? Return to daily, street sleeper or fun at the track ride? Me? I'd build it reliably past stock, turbocharged, add the proper suspension bits, good brakes, then go tear up the local autocross emabarrasing all of us heavy/boatie V8 wanna bee's. You can do it!

I honestly don't have a plan. I don't think it's a track car just yet so mostly just driving an enjoying it.

I'm just learning the ropes of doing mod's to my car. I've gone from "what's a tune" to installing a Cobb Stage 2 Tune on my Ecoboost and it make a pretty big difference. I'm looking at sway bars, better bakes, better struts, etc...This turbocharger seemed like a good upgrade if it was below $10,000 but given the information presented on here that may not be realistic (short and long blocks).

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Look for a good rear hit turbocharged Ecoboost, and get the entire motor/wire harness even tranny and simply swap it out to your car. I would think there's plenty out there, just be patient. Winters here, there are always snow wrecks from spinning out. I think this is a cheaper way to go than building up from a short/long block. Work your way up and learn as you go. Dropping 10g's or so on a 4 banger toy like described above sounds crazy to me.

I edited the estimated cost from previous posts.

Last edited:

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Look for a good rear hit turbocharged Ecoboost, and get the entire motor/wire harness even tranny and simply swap it out to your car. I would think there's plenty out there, just be patient. Winters here, there are always snow wrecks from spinning out. I think this is a cheaper way to go than building up from a short/long block.
The OP is looking at 500whp. The stock block is good for the low 400s. To get where he'd like to go, a built block is necessary. When one of the top Ecoboost tuners (Adam Brunson @ Tune Plus) won't do a tune for more than 400whp on a stock engine, that means doing so will in most cases make the motor go pop.

To get to 400 is sub 5K. Turbo, 4 port fuel injection, tune. I'd also add a intercooler, exhaust and cold air intake.

Last edited:

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
The OP is looking at 500whp. The stock block is good for the low 400s. To get where he'd like to go, a built block is necessary. When one of the top Ecoboost tuners (Adam Brunson @ Tune Plus) won't do a tune for more than 400whp on a stock engine, that means doing so will in most cases make the motor go pop.

To get to 400 is sub 5K. Turbo, 4 port fuel injection, tune. I'd also add a intercooler, exhaust and cold air intake.
I think the last sentence in your response makes the most sense for the OP, reasonable cost as well.

Sponsored

NavyNut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jean-yves
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Sell it and buy a V8 instead of spending that much.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Sounds a little optimistic lol. Like stated, you can order/build a built block and rotating assembly - cost alone will be near used/new coyote territory. Another option is NA 2.0/2.5 engines - I have no idea on what those make modified but apparently they get can get built, turbo-ed, and are a dime a dozed used. The minor plus is the 2.5's have an actual exhaust manifold, making turbo installs easier.

Another factor is optimal power range. While I haven't driven a big turbo Focus/Fiesta or Mustang, bigger turbo=more lag. Once the boost really kicks in, it'll feel like V8 power.

There's also all the small stuff to get it running right, plus dyno tuning.

400whp out of a little 2.3 is nothing to sneeze at. Factoring in average drivetrain loss of 15%, you're near 450hp at the crank. I'd personally just go that route - see who has what supporting mods are needed for that and go from there. Gen 3 GT's are probably at 400/410whp as it is.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Good information thank you.

I’ve got a Cobb Tune on with an intercooler and cold air intake so thinking exhaust, fuel injectors, sway bars and such. After the advice on here it seems to do mods but shoot for the 400 ish HP rather than invest in a turbo charger that’ll get it to 500 hp and then potentially break the engine. Trying to listen and learn by the way so thank you for the advice.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Sell it and buy a V8 instead of spending that much.
My Mustang isn’t worth anything. I commuted for 6 years and the mileage is about 240,000. I’ve maintained it though so right now spending 5k and pushing it to about 400hp is all I can do since I don’t really have more than that to spend on a new car.

Otherwise yes a V8 would be a lot of fun.
Sponsored