Sponsored

Question, how do you set a pinion angle on irs?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Reason why, I had my car lowered before I added my 1 piece aluminum ds. The stock shaft never vibrated at any speed even when after lowered. Fast forward to now after my n/a build my dynotech ds and i get vibration starting at 60mph and through 80mph its down right annoying now. It increases lifting off the gas at those speeds. It rattles the inrterior panels when I'm in that speed range. I have steeda irs chassis braces that bolted up with no issue. So im assuming the cradle is aligned. I think the vibration is because with this dynotech ds you must have the correct pinion angle. The dynotech does not have the benefit from the stock ds's cv joint style. Please chime in
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Lowering the car should have no effect on the pinion angle. The trans and diff don't move in relationship to each other when you change springs.

The axle angles will change, though.

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So pinion angle is only a factor on a live axle?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Have you clocked the driveshaft you installed (twist it 180* on one side) - see what happens.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The angle will change.

The same is true if the car is lifted or suspended in the air with no load on any of the suspension. Driveshaft angle changes - same if lowering a car. Nth is is why when Ford Servuce Centers have to do the driveline vibration diagnosis, they have to (or are supposed to) do it with a loaded suspension, to replicate when the car is on the ground, all due to pinion angles.

Same principle applies to when a truck owner lifts a truck, pinion angles change.

I would mark the driveshaft and piñon as it is, then rotate 180*, go for a drive and it may be fixed. If not, trial and error with the reindexing. If still no change, then it may have to do with the angles.

There was a Ford SSM for the F150's a while back where it was recommended to shim the center support bearing, due to the vibration on those vehicles.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So pinion angle is only a factor on a live axle?
Yeah. The diff is bolted to the car and doesn't move any more than bushings allow. Or rather, it still matters but its built into the design and doesn't change when you lower or raise the car.

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you clocked the driveshaft you installed (twist it 180* on one side) - see what happens.
Not yet, my suspension installer said it will still vibrate with 180 degree rotation. He said of all the cars he's done this for it never made a difference! So i haven't tried it yet! Guess its worth a shot, i mean what have i got to lose right?

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
The angle will change.

The same is true if the car is lifted or suspended in the air with no load on any of the suspension. Driveshaft angle changes - same if lowering a car. Nth is is why when Ford Servuce Centers have to do the driveline vibration diagnosis, they have to (or are supposed to) do it with a loaded suspension, to replicate when the car is on the ground, all due to pinion angles.

Same principle applies to when a truck owner lifts a truck, pinion angles change.

I would mark the driveshaft and piñon as it is, then rotate 180*, go for a drive and it may be fixed. If not, trial and error with the reindexing. If still no change, then it may have to do with the angles.

There was a Ford SSM for the F150's a while back where it was recommended to shim the center support bearing, due to the vibration on those vehicles.
Incorrect on the s550. The pinion angle does not change and is completely fixed
Due to being bolted in the cradle. A sra design car like a truck and s197 this can be a real issue when lowered.
The s550 pinion angle is fixed in a bad position for nvh.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Not yet, my suspension installer said it will still vibrate with 180 degree rotation. He said of all the cars he's done this for it never made a difference! So i haven't tried it yet! Guess its worth a shot, i mean what have i got to lose right?
Clockin made mine much better. The car is the issue and the reason ford used so much rubber on the stock 2 piece shaft. A big company is working on subframe shims to correct the angle to lesson the vibration.

Slikk

n0oB
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT
Clockin made mine much better. The car is the issue and the reason ford used so much rubber on the stock 2 piece shaft. A big company is working on subframe shims to correct the angle to lesson the vibration.
Do yo remove and rotate the shaft 180 degree, or unbolt the rear connection and rotate that pinion 180 degree?

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Just the shaft. The rear hub requires that you remove the pinion nut....which messes with your gear pre-load I believe.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Do yo remove and rotate the shaft 180 degree, or unbolt the rear connection and rotate that pinion 180 degree?
Whatever you find easiest after disconnecting the driveshaft from the differential pinion. Whether that means unloading the wheels and rotating the diff pinion shaft 180° (either way) or putting the transmission in neutral and rotating the drive shaft (ditto) doesn't matter.

Norm

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
why is clocking the ds 180 fix the issue?

can anyone take pic of the bolts that should be removed? sorry to sound stupid here but want to give this a shot. the three that are bolted to the shaft, or the other three that go into the rubber?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
why is clocking the ds 180 fix the issue?

can anyone take pic of the bolts that should be removed? sorry to sound stupid here but want to give this a shot. the three that are bolted to the shaft, or the other three that go into the rubber?
I would not use the ones that go into the rubber. Ford provides no torque values for those in the service manual or anywhere else I could find.

OP
OP
Dominant1

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My car is an auto so no rubber gueebo but this video shows the install for manuals!

Sponsored