Sponsored

Question for those with aftermarket kits (Metra or Scoshe)

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
For those who are using one of the aftermarket kits that are available, what connects to the USB port under the start button? Is it possible to connect that to the back of the deck? I want to be able to use it to plus my phone in to run Android Auto.
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
PAC-Audio has an adapter that might be of use... USB-GM1 is it's name. That one should fit and enable you to connect this USB to your deck.

Shagen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Supercharged
I have the Scosche kit and the USB near the start button does connect to the back of the radio. I use it for Android Auto.

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
I have the Scosche kit and the USB near the start button does connect to the back of the radio. I use it for Android Auto.
Perfect. Exactly what I'm planning on.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
But only if you use the USB cable provided with the kit. The USB connection in the armrest wont work this way.

Sponsored

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
But only if you use the USB cable provided with the kit. The USB connection in the armrest wont work this way.
I need some clarification on this if possible but I don't have the kit. I tried to use both USB ports to stream music thru my LG V10 phone and my Sandisk MP3 player and the system doesn't recognize it. If I use BT the system recognize the phone great.

Is there a special type of USB cable I have to use?

Thanks in advance.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
There is no special USB cable. The headunit needs to support some kind of USB hub as this is the way the factory USB cable works. To connect the factory USB cable to the headunit you need the PAC-Audio USB-GM1.
Or you could ditch one of the USB ports in the car and use the USB cable supplied with either the Scosche or the Metra kit.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
There is no special USB cable. The headunit needs to support some kind of USB hub as this is the way the factory USB cable works. To connect the factory USB cable to the headunit you need the PAC-Audio USB-GM1.
Or you could ditch one of the USB ports in the car and use the USB cable supplied with either the Scosche or the Metra kit.
Thanks for the clarification but how can I know or confirm if my Headunit really supports the USB hub for streaming music?

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
What has me thinking is that the specs indicate 2 USB Charging Ports and doesn't say nothing about streaming music.

Here for reference:

SYNC 3 with 8" LCD capacitive touchscreen, 911 Assist,®

AppLink,® Apple CarPlay™ compatibility, Android Auto™

compatibility, and 2 smart-charging USB ports

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Well, i guess with "streaming" you think of using Apple Music, Spotify and stuff like that?

This is supported both over bluetooth and wired connections.
Does your headunit support wired Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto? -> Bingo, you got a winner
Does your headunit support some other kind of connectivity between device and headunit (Kenwood Weblink and stuff like that) and is your streaming service of choice supported with this connectivity? -> Bingo, you got a winner

So all you need to do is to check if your headunit support either CarPlay or Android Auto and if your streaming service supports either CarPlay or Android Auto or the other means of connectivity.
In this case it really doesn't matter which USB port you use, but if you use the supplied USB cable from Metra or Scosche, then you're limited to the center console USB port as both USB cables attach to the center console of Metra or Scosche.
If you want to use the USB port in the armrest, you need the PAC Audio USB-GM1 as this attaches to the stock USB connector and mates to the USB connectors on the back of your aftermarket radio.

Sponsored

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @Cathul....

When I mean streaming I mean thru music on the Phone or MP3 Player.

Also as mentioned before, if I connect thru BT works fine Android Auto and music player.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
When I get home I will unpair/delete the phone and create again but thru the cable to see if that resolves the issue.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Every modern headunit can play music from your smartphone, especially if it’s an Apple device.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I have not been clear what I want to achieve. What I really want is to use a USB stick, Phone LG V10 or my Sandisk Music Player with music on them and play it thru USB port connection. I do this on my factory head unit on my older Explorer 2011 and in my lap-Top without problems.

Hope I cleared my request.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Just to clear up things. The problem was resolved. I was using a USB cable that came with a Portable speaker that is only for charging purposes. Test with another cable and everything worked fine. Also the USB sticks worked great....

Thanks to everyone.
Sponsored