Question for those who self installed a Whipple Gen 5 System

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I just received my Whipple Gen 5 Stage 2 system and I was planning on doing the install by myself. That was until I picked up the box that the supercharger came in. That unit is heavy!! I'm hoping though, with removing the lid, and the intercooler, it'll be manageable for a one man install. What say you guy's that have done it. Thanks in advance!

20200321_155913.jpg
Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
So here's the thing I just did my install about a month ago and its pretty easy I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself you are still probably going to want someone to help you lower the blower on the heads, and you will appreciate help getting the connectors and clips from the wiring harness of the back of the factory intake manifold. Dont hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about the install. also one tip I can give right off the back is install the injectors and rails into the blower before installing it the way Whipple has to do it is incredibly difficult.

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
I did my install about 2 months ago. It was not bad at all. Agree, you probably need 2 people to lower the blower on the heads. It is def lighter with the lid off though.

LGSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT
Did the install a couple months ago 2017 with GEN5 and it really made it a lot easier to put the blower on the heads with a second person. Follow AZ_whipples550 advice on installing injectors and fuel rails on the blower before putting it on the heads.

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
also one tip I can give right off the back is install the injectors and rails into the blower before installing it the way Whipple has to do it is incredibly difficult.
^^^
Ive installed 3 Whipple’s in my garage, you will need a extra set of hands to get it in the car

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
^^^
Ive installed 3 Whipple’s in my garage, you will need a extra set of hands to get it in the car
I did mine a few months ago. You can do it yourself. The only part I needed an extra hand was when I was placing the supercharger onto the manifold. I just had my wife pull some hoses out of the way as I laid it down so I knew it would sit flush.
thanks

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I was just about ask this question..

do you need a lot of mechanical experience to install it?

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
I was just about ask this question..

do you need a lot of mechanical experience to install it?
Alot no but definitely more than normal. If you normally work on your car then yes you can probably do it. If you normally dont work on your car then i would suggest not doing it.

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Yeah, agree with the above. If you plan on doing OPG too, I'd say you need a little more mechanical ability.

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
If you can change brakes, you can do opgs and install Whipple.

More importantly you have to have the right tools

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
I didnt do opg. Im rolling the dice on that one. I think it will be fine.

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I just installed my Whipple at the beginning of the month. The installation is really straight forward and not too difficult. I did the installation by myself and the only semi difficult part was positioning the blower. To make this easier, I made a platform out using a sheet of plywood that sat over the drivers side fender and positioned the blower assy there. I also created a platform out of plywood at the fwd end of the engine to kneel/stand on. Having the blower on the platform and actually being above the engine made dropping it into position on the motor a snap.

The oil pump gears might look intimidating, but if you work step by step using the factory service manual, it's not hard. If your car is a 2018 and newer, you'll have to remove all of it's bolts and lower the pan. You don't have to take it out, just lower it enough for the oil pickup tube to come out of the pump.

20200627_173451.jpg

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Alot no but definitely more than normal. If you normally work on your car then yes you can probably do it. If you normally dont work on your car then i would suggest not doing it.
I did a lot of my mods like coilovers, radiator and etc but not my OPG
Sponsored