• Total voters

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
So hey,

Been a while since I posted, but I decided to ask this question here. I been mulling about getting a GT500, but no deals came along until now.
I have a deal in place that could put me in a 2021 GT500 with the options I would get. But now I am starting to wonder.......should I ??

I enjoying driving my Sasha. Yes I love shifting the gears. She is moded with what's in my sig, makes good power, and I have the 19 engine. I have 8k on the clock. She was bought new today, in 2017. So I started to wonder......am I buying a GT500 for the sake of a GT500 ? Is it the more power ? Is it the new car smell ???

For power I could go to Fathouse Fab and put the 800 turbo kit in. Or perhaps a whipple. This way I would have more power and keep my gear shift and headers :)
I could get the GT500, have more power and a newer car, which IMO would hold value, and still be a blast, but no more shifting.
Or I could say the heck with it, and just leave it all alone.

So I ask: To see opinions of the members here who may of had the same thoughts:
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I understand exactly your situation. It is really hard to know if you will like the 500 enough to get rid of your GT350.
The issues comes down to technology in my opinion. I sold my Mach 1 which was probably the best drivers car I have owned. I went back to the 10R80. I realized that the benefits of the 10 speed, especially with even a cheap tune to speed up shifts was more important to me than the full control a manual trans gives. It is simply a blast to drive it.
I have days where I drive completely in sport and use the paddles exclusively to shift. I find myself wanting to drive the auto more than I did the stick. Just the speed of shifting and downshifting and the gearing. I can say the comparison between the M1 and just a stock '19 has to be a minimum of a 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. The auto is really a super deal for the price.

But if you are good on spending the extra money on the 500, do it. The DCT is so much better than even the fantastic 10 speed.
Beware, if you do a PD blower, like the Whipple, you will need a stronger clutch assembly which increases the pedal pressure. And, even a small increase in clutch stiffness can really be irritating over a short time. I would not do it.
Here is what else you will get: A MUCH better dashboard, no comparison. If the 500 offers it, the adaptive cruise as well. Your car is 4 years old with very low miles but you cannot stop the aging of the rubber on the tires. You will need to replace those soon as the rubber gets harder as it ages.

You can to the M1 with the 10 speed and have Zach at Granger put a Whipple on it for 9,500 I think, not sure. You would be a good 20 less than the 500 with similar power. Just a thought.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
I understand exactly your situation. It is really hard to know if you will like the 500 enough to get rid of your GT350.
The issues comes down to technology in my opinion. I sold my Mach 1 which was probably the best drivers car I have owned. I went back to the 10R80. I realized that the benefits of the 10 speed, especially with even a cheap tune to speed up shifts was more important to me than the full control a manual trans gives. It is simply a blast to drive it.
I have days where I drive completely in sport and use the paddles exclusively to shift. I find myself wanting to drive the auto more than I did the stick. Just the speed of shifting and downshifting and the gearing. I can say the comparison between the M1 and just a stock '19 has to be a minimum of a 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. The auto is really a super deal for the price.

But if you are good on spending the extra money on the 500, do it. The DCT is so much better than even the fantastic 10 speed.
Beware, if you do a PD blower, like the Whipple, you will need a stronger clutch assembly which increases the pedal pressure. And, even a small increase in clutch stiffness can really be irritating over a short time. I would not do it.
Here is what else you will get: A MUCH better dashboard, no comparison. If the 500 offers it, the adaptive cruise as well. Your car is 4 years old with very low miles but you cannot stop the aging of the rubber on the tires. You will need to replace those soon as the rubber gets harder as it ages.

You can to the M1 with the 10 speed and have Zach at Granger put a Whipple on it for 9,500 I think, not sure. You would be a good 20 less than the 500 with similar power. Just a thought.
There is no adaptive cruise.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
You mod you lose. But itā€™s really fun. I sold a Frankensteined 2015 that I spent more on mods than I did the car new. I did it to make room for a 500 and certainly lost my ass as expected. Iā€™ve only put 300 miles on the 500 but I can tell you itā€™s a blast to drive and my wife who is not necessarily a car person loves it. I worried about missing the third pedal but in a short time with the paddled Tremec Iā€™ve found that manual mode makes me happy. All of that being said Iā€™m glad I did it. The Fathouse moded 350ā€™s though are some of the tightest units Iā€™ve ever seen. Meticulous workmanship and attention to detail are top notch. I would only do this if I planned on keeping the car because the majority of that money isnā€™t coming back.

Sponsored

Jbenne517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT 500
Its a tough move! I have just recently made that exact change and while I do miss the shifting and the absolute beautiful sound of my 350....... You will not be mad at yourself at all for making the change. The 500 is just a different car, different experience but one that is fun and fast. In a perfect world I wish there were room for both. Good luck with your decision.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Two totally different cars I own both and just night and day. GT500 baddest ass production affordable car I have ever owned and go to my YouTube channel and I tell all. Sold my Hellcats over the GT500šŸ˜Ž
I have a bunch of videos but here is my daughter and I having funšŸ˜

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
First, a stage 2 whipple, on there tune, on pump premium unleaded is 750ish at the rear wheels. Stock 500, little over 700. My stage 2 was 753.
Second, an aftermarket clutch has the same pedal as oem. I have an McLeod Rxt in mine. That said, the engagement point is slightly higher. The oem clutch will be just fine for a while, depending on how you drive.
Third, Iā€™m not a fan of the video game dash in the 500, I prefer the look of analog. But that is purely preference.
Fourth, there is no doubt a poor driver in a 500 can get a decent quarter mile time. Not the same in a 350. That said, I didnā€™t buy a 350 for quarter mile times. If that was the goal, Iā€™d by a gt with an auto and boost it to the moon with dot slicks. The 350 is a drivers car, pure a d simple.
Fifth, the dct in the 500 is an amazing engineering marvel. It is pretty much flawless on a track in straight auto.
Sixth, tires. Not worth addressing. Both cars will go through tires. If thatā€™s an issue, buy a carolla.

The reality which was stated about not recouping the money invested, is true for the most part. The thing is if you truly enjoy the manual, youā€™ll regret the 500. That is by no means a knock on the 500, its an amazing car. The 500 can make a sub par to average driver look good, thatā€™s not the case in the 350. Its hard to get around the satisfaction of driving a 350, especially on a road course or twisties, well. Its just such a visceral experience. I didnā€™t want to give up the manual so I did all the mods to my 350. But to be fair, I was also in the position to purchase an R after I did. It really comes down to how much you enjoy the experience of shifting and being completely engaged with the car. If you want the extra power, the factory warranty, and peace of mind that comes with it then you canā€™t beat the 500. Both of these cars are so phenomenal its a difficult decision, but its really cool we have that dilemma to ponder. Best of luck!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
man i loved my 350R, bought her brand new and owned her for 3 yrs to the date. just sold her though bc the desire for 2 things were too strong: boost and and long warranty. i researched practically every blower and twin turbo set up and have build sheets left and right and at the end of the day just couldnt do it, to spend that kind of money and risk buying a new motor and also affecting my resale. when i got an offer well over what i paid for it, that was it.

got my 2022 CFTP in the order bank...subbed to this thread to see how things go for you man. but i get the struggle...it's real šŸ˜‘

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies and votes. Today I plan to go check out the GT500 in earnest. I will be looking at a CFTP Carbon grey, and a Antimatter blue with carbon, tech, and handling.

See how it goes !

Sponsored

Jobsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350
So I just did this. I had my 350 I bought a whipple and all supporting mods. while waiting for my appointment at the shop I test drove a gt500 and I was sold. I started shopping around and found a good deal. Between my trade in selling the whipple and all supporting mods ( didnā€™t lose a penny ) and money set aside for the install I picked up a gt500 for same payment I have now and never looked back .
The 500 is just an amazing car. I did weigh my options same as everyone manual the sound etc
In the end I would be dumping a ton of money into the 350 void my warranty and always thinking in the back of my head when the motor will blow. The 500 is just as fast stock, and has the warranty and even if you do want to mod it seems it can handle it a lot better
Once you drive the dct you wonā€™t even miss the manual

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If you can truly find a "deal" on a GT500, do it without hesitation unless you'll miss rowing your own.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well update: So the one deal fell thru when I pulled up in my Harley F150 and the manger goes they want the truck AND my GT350 then they can lower the price to 115 for a CFTP. Lol ok. Sales guy sitting looking helpless. All of the other GT500's were sitting at 110 or above with options like tech, or handle. Walked out of that place.

No2: Get there go to see the car, its gone. Somebody else just sold it ??? Right. They did have a Antimatter Blue, Tech and handle package, Recaro seats upgrade. The guy says he will talk to his manager and see if he can put the same deal on this vehicle as the one that disappeared.

Stay tune.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
I voted for you to keep and mod yours. I traded in a 2018 gt auto. There was no downside to my trade. I would have almost bought a gt350 but when I'm already going thru that much trouble you might as well go all the way. Keep your and mod this piss out of it.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Better than my day , usual dealer was at 25 over a base 500 and wouldn't budge even when I offered 8 over.

First sales team in history to let someone walk away from someone clearly trying to make a sale :headbang:
Sponsored