Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
please do. I have a very talented tuner that worked at a shop with me dying to get his hands on the car. Maybe i can blame him lol. he is the one that talked me into the 10 speed. i was dead set on a manual until the dealership started telling me what colors they had. After talking to this tuner i said ok ill give up the manual if they have the color i want with the 10 speed.

For me it still seems to be related to that 4-5 shift at 5500 rpm. i wasnt trying to make it do it the first time it happened today but the longer i sat in the house the more it bothered me thats why i went back out and sure enough i was able to replicate it.
I’ve told you since day one it is the tune and a fuel issue and I’m not a betting man unless I know I can win and I’ll bet 100% that’s the issue. Unfortunately you have that issue and a dealer who doesn’t care to compound things. I think a custom tune and a BAP would solve all your issues, but I get the warranty and wanting Roush and the dealer to make things right before you do anything else. I was on the same course as you but I’m tired of waiting and will solve the issues/ problem myself and get a hell of a lot more hp/tq out of my fix.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
So... Today I got on the freeway and pushed my car pretty hard in Track mode. Took it up to about 100mph at WOT.. Car sent me a message over the Ford Pass app and the Check Engine light was flashing. It went off after a few seconds.. Pushed it a bunch more on the way home and it drove fine.

Code was a misfire on Cylinder 2... Also said the connection to the ABS module was lost. I only had a 1/4 tank of gas in the car. The only other time this happened was on the strip during my burnout. Car got whacked out and threw the same codes. I stopped and filled up the gas and ran the codes again and they were gone.

My 2018 got the P008 code when I was low on fuel and two weeks later the CAT's needed to be replaced.

I read that when the CEL flashes during a misfire it is turning on CAT protection. Mine are a little neutered right now so that's not the problem.

Have they verified the CAT's aren't going bad on your car?

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
So... Today I got on the freeway and pushed my car pretty hard in Track mode. Took it up to about 100mph at WOT.. Car sent me a message over the Ford Pass app and the Check Engine light was flashing. It went off after a few seconds.. Pushed it a bunch more on the way home and it drove fine.

Code was a misfire on Cylinder 2... Also said the connection to the ABS module was lost. I only had a 1/4 tank of gas in the car. The only other time this happened was on the strip during my burnout. Car got whacked out and threw the same codes. I stopped and filled up the gas and ran the codes again and they were gone.

My 2018 got the P008 code when I was low on fuel and two weeks later the CAT's needed to be replaced.

I read that when the CEL flashes during a misfire it is turning on CAT protection. Mine are a little neutered right now so that's not the problem.

Have they verified the CAT's aren't going bad on your car?
Both our cars are brand new 2021’s so I would hope the cats are bad after a few hundred miles. I’m taking that out of the equation anyways with some new LTH’s that are free flowing.

Tucaz520

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1973 mach 1, 2021 GT
I’ve told you since day one it is the tune and a fuel issue and I’m not a betting man unless I know I can win and I’ll bet 100% that’s the issue. Unfortunately you have that issue and a dealer who doesn’t care to compound things. I think a custom tune and a BAP would solve all your issues, but I get the warranty and wanting Roush and the dealer to make things right before you do anything else. I was on the same course as you but I’m tired of waiting and will solve the issues/ problem myself and get a hell of a lot more hp/tq out of my fix.
ill take the bet lol. What are we betting?
I think you are already one up on me since you got your CEL on before i did last time.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
The person i spoke to at Roush said he wanted to send it out asap but was getting pushback because it cost $20k it links up via satellite and lets them monitor everything that is happening in real time. Im sure once they start getting phone calls monday morning it will happen.
I would push them on this. Document everything. Years back had an issue with brakes on my 17 Toyota 4Runner. Lost brakes and no codes. I was not driving fast and got it stopped with emergency brake. After several weeks of multiple tests-they told me come and get it-nothing wrong. I refused to drive the car off the lot. Politely provided them complete documentation of the many conversations and visits. Gave them a few days to consider options. They finally agreed and brought in a tech expert with similar equipment. I drove the 4 runner for a 30 mile loop with the tech monitoring and recording. He then cracked deep imbedded stored codes. Asked me date and approximate time lost the brakes. Bingo-the data all there and .........Yes sir found the problem. Entire new brake system installed. Stick to your guns, don't loose your cool and document everything. Just sad to here its come to this level.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
ill take the bet lol. What are we betting?
I think you are already one up on me since you got your CEL on before i did last time.
I’ll bet you a dinner but you have to come down either way for the meal no matter who wins! 🤣

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Do custom tuners ask for the current Roush tune to be sent to them? If so, I assume they use that as a starting point and tweak it to provide higher rpm shifts, maybe advanced timing, different throttle mapping, etc.? If that is the case, there is a possibility that a flaw in the current tune or with some mechanical aspect of engine would simply carry over into the custom tune.

I could be totally wrong about their current process. Seems that when I was exploring tuning a year or so ago, a VMP rep explained that they start with the current tune.

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Do custom tuners ask for the current Roush tune to be sent to them? If so, I assume they use that as a starting point and tweak it to provide higher rpm shifts, maybe advanced timing, different throttle mapping, etc.? If that is the case, there is a possibility that a flaw in the current tune or with some mechanical aspect of engine would simply carry over into the custom tune.

I could be totally wrong about their current process. Seems that when I was exploring tuning a year or so ago, a VMP rep explained that they start with the current tune.
They start with the roush tune. A mechanical issue would make no difference what tune you have the problem would still exist. The misfire did not carry over in my case. It was obviously an issue of running out of fuel for me.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
They start with the roush tune. A mechanical issue would make no difference what tune you have the problem would still exist. The misfire did not carry over in my case. It was obviously an issue of running out of fuel for me.
Yeah, I guess Roush thought they could solve the fuel issue through the latest calibration, but I would be much more comfortable with a BAP or better pump. I haven't had a single issue since my pump upgrade over a year ago. If fuel delivery was the issue with Tucaz, surely the dealer or Roush would have corrected it by now. If not, they did a poor job of diagnostics. Checking fuel pressure is not rocket science.

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Yeah, I guess Roush thought they could solve the fuel issue through the latest calibration, but I would be much more comfortable with a BAP or better pump. I haven't had a single issue since my pump upgrade over a year ago. If fuel delivery was the issue with Tucaz, surely the dealer or Roush would have corrected it by now. If not, they did a poor job of diagnostics. Checking fuel pressure is not rocket science.
When the dealer looked at mine the tech determined it was lean. The dealer replaced the fuel pump under warranty but after I picked up the car I still had the flashing engine light. I changed the fuel system and have not had a problem since.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I inquired with VMP about a custom tune and they said they require a Fuel Pump Booster. They also suggest upgrading the intercooler pump and getting a triple pass heat exchanger, 170 thermostat but not required.

Apparently they said the stock fuel system is at its limit.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I could be wrong here, but I was always under the assumption that they start with the stock tune, do their tune and adjustments, and not the Roush tune? lol

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
A week ago I got my updated CAL to address my 3rd gear redlining at 5500k. I got a chance to test it out today and can say that it pulled through 7k. No, I will not admit what the speedometer was reading.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I inquired with VMP about a custom tune and they said they require a Fuel Pump Booster. They also suggest upgrading the intercooler pump and getting a triple pass heat exchanger, 170 thermostat but not required.

Apparently they said the stock fuel system is at its limit.
They love pimping that HE but it's just a negligible upgrade for anything more than cruising and car shows.