Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I haven't been on the site much lately. So I'm going to respond to a couple topics I saw and I had a couple questions that you guys can probably answer.

I'm surprised it is considered normal for use 1 qt of oil in 2,000 miles. That seems a little excessive to me. I haven't really had a chance to see if mine consumes oil as I haven't driven it enough miles.

There is a lot of talk about aftermarket tunes. I won't have a before and after dyno for my car with a custom tune. So I won't be able to give any HP differences. However, one advantage of the tune was an improvement for overall driving. The VMP tune helped with surging while cruising. It also fixed an issue with throttle response delay. My car had a pretty good lag at throttle tip in. It is much better with the VMP tune.

Questions
1. My car has the phase 2 kit for a Gen2. Do they replace the thermostat as part of the install and if not, should I get a colder one? I'm not even sure what these cars have stock, but I see a lot of people recommending a 170 degree thermostat.

2. I think the Phase 2 kit comes with 47 LB injectors. Isn't 727 HP kind of pushing the limits for only 47 LB injectors? I wouldn't even think they could support that much power.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I haven't been on the site much lately. So I'm going to respond to a couple topics I saw and I had a couple questions that you guys can probably answer.

I'm surprised it is considered normal for use 1 qt of oil in 2,000 miles. That seems a little excessive to me. I haven't really had a chance to see if mine consumes oil as I haven't driven it enough miles.

There is a lot of talk about aftermarket tunes. I won't have a before and after dyno for my car with a custom tune. So I won't be able to give any HP differences. However, one advantage of the tune was an improvement for overall driving. The VMP tune helped with surging while cruising. It also fixed an issue with throttle response delay. My car had a pretty good lag at throttle tip in. It is much better with the VMP tune.

Questions
1. My car has the phase 2 kit for a Gen2. Do they replace the thermostat as part of the install and if not, should I get a colder one? I'm not even sure what these cars have stock, but I see a lot of people recommending a 170 degree thermostat.

2. I think the Phase 2 kit comes with 47 LB injectors. Isn't 727 HP kind of pushing the limits for only 47 LB injectors? I wouldn't even think they could support that much power.
The majority of the owners in here have the 2018+ 2650, but I had the kit you have.... so I might be able to answer....

1. Get a 170 thermostat.... My 2015 did not come with an upgraded one and it helped keep the cylinder head temps a bit cooler....

2. 727 hp is crank hp.... not to the wheels. The 47 ln injectors are a limitation and can easily be upgraded. Since you have a phase 2 you also have a BAP. If you are interested in saving money you can use Ford Racing 56lb injectors.... I'd just do 1000's though...

TonyHawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, Roush Stage 2 SC kit, Roush axel back / x-pipe, chin splitter, aero foil and side scoops, GT350R wheels
The majority of the owners in here have the 2018+ 2650, but I had the kit you have.... so I might be able to answer....

1. Get a 170 thermostat.... My 2015 did not come with an upgraded one and it helped keep the cylinder head temps a bit cooler....

2. 727 hp is crank hp.... not to the wheels. The 47 ln injectors are a limitation and can easily be upgraded. Since you have a phase 2 you also have a BAP. If you are interested in saving money you can use Ford Racing 56lb injectors.... I'd just do 1000's though...
the Kit doesn’t change the thermostat but the it upgrades to 56 lb/hour injectors

TonyHawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, Roush Stage 2 SC kit, Roush axel back / x-pipe, chin splitter, aero foil and side scoops, GT350R wheels

kjuy76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kjuy
Vehicle(s)
carolla
That was a very good thing that everyone should kept it and very useful for the purpose of fishing or triping.

kjuy76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kjuy
Vehicle(s)
carolla
Im real disappointed in the IAT2's. Its right around 50 degrees over ambient which is crazy. This is without even getting into boost while maintaining 70mph on interstate. I called Roush and the guy said that 40 was acceptable, but 50 made him Leary. I plan on upgrading the LTR (heat exchanger) and cost isnt a factor.
Ive had other cars with the VMP dual fan system and I hate the fans running all of the time. Its annoying for city driving and such.
I am a weekend driver - maybe going to the 1/8th mile once a year if that. I just want to get the IAT2's low so I can get off of the Roush tune and get a VMP or PBD tune but I want the IAT2 down first.
Does anyone have real data #'s from this blower using
VMP tripple core with fans?
VMP tripple core w/o fans?
Whipple large Heat exchanger
Any/all suggestions are welcome.
Again, Im not going to ever run back to back 1/4 runs - Im just a bit OCD about high IAT2's.
For the purpose of fishing and trips.

donlx90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, JK Wrangler, 2019 Road King Special 114
Im real disappointed in the IAT2's. Its right around 50 degrees over ambient which is crazy. This is without even getting into boost while maintaining 70mph on interstate. I called Roush and the guy said that 40 was acceptable, but 50 made him Leary. I plan on upgrading the LTR (heat exchanger) and cost isnt a factor.
Ive had other cars with the VMP dual fan system and I hate the fans running all of the time. Its annoying for city driving and such.
I am a weekend driver - maybe going to the 1/8th mile once a year if that. I just want to get the IAT2's low so I can get off of the Roush tune and get a VMP or PBD tune but I want the IAT2 down first.
Again, Im not going to ever run back to back 1/4 runs - Im just a bit OCD about high IAT2's.
I’m in the

I felt like I was reading a post that I didnt remember writing.
I recently purchased a used 2018GT with dealer installed Roush 2650 phase 1. My IAT2 were 50 above and I spoke with Gavin. He said that 40 above is ok, but 50 made him Leary lol.
I just received the free phase 2 upgrade today and installed it. I havnt had much time to get real data but its only 60 degrees here today. I will also say that the hose coming vertically out of the intercooler pump was kinked 90% when I took the lower cover off the other day. I did notice that my temps were a little better after unkinking that hoses.
I also dont like the fans running constsanly. If I do the VMP with dual fans, I will put them on a switch which is probably the best option. This new heat exchanger is a little thicker but not THAT much.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the

I felt like I was reading a post that I didnt remember writing.
I recently purchased a used 2018GT with dealer installed Roush 2650 phase 1. My IAT2 were 50 above and I spoke with Gavin. He said that 40 above is ok, but 50 made him Leary lol.
I just received the free phase 2 upgrade today and installed it. I havnt had much time to get real data but its only 60 degrees here today. I will also say that the hose coming vertically out of the intercooler pump was kinked 90% when I took the lower cover off the other day. I did notice that my temps were a little better after unkinking that hoses.
I also dont like the fans running constsanly. If I do the VMP with dual fans, I will put them on a switch which is probably the best option. This new heat exchanger is a little thicker but not THAT much.
40-50 is pretty normal when pushing it. Your best bet is a killer chiller. Several guys have gone with or have recently ordered one. A ford tech who just installed a phase 1 just ordered a chiller on youtube.

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
I have had to add 2.5 quarts of oil since the supercharger was added and I've only put a little more than 3k miles on it. There is no way that is normal.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have had to add 2.5 quarts of oil since the supercharger was added and I've only put a little more than 3k miles on it. There is no way that is normal.
Are you absolutely sure it had 10 quarts of 5w50 in it at installation?

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Are you absolutely sure it had 10 quarts of 5w50 in it at installation?
yes 100% I checked the oil the day I picked it up. It was full and after about 1200 miles I checked the oil again. It was a quart low I added a quart. I just checked it again and it was 1.5 quarts low after another 1800 miles. I would say using a quart of oil every 1200 or 1500 miles is a bit excessive. I'm going to check the plugs in it tomorrow and see how they look.

Last edited:

TonyHawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
The phase 2 2650 kits for the 18+ have 47lb injectors from what I have seen in this thread based on part numbers... i could be wrong, but confirmation would be great.....
Looks like I grabbed the wrong info off of americanmuscle.com. The Ford site says 47 https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6066-M8. I couldn't find the info on Roush's. Install instructions parts lists has Fuel Injector Kit (Set of 8) 13119F593K

Last edited: