Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
No bad press for Wengerd that I’ve seen.
I've spoken with him and have an idea on whats what. I'm in the "doing my research" stage on the past work between a couple of tuners/shops.

I’d add Brenspeed to this list. Not sure they do remote though
I don't think Brenspeed does remote. I've seen many of his videos that work on Roush cars but I think they do remote either.

DRP Motorsports can also fix this issue and remotely (using RTD3)

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Anyone know the part number for the Roush air filter that comes solo without the intake box? The red one that comes with the SC kit?

My local Ford dealearship parts guy said "The air filters aren't sold separately without the intake". I remember seeing them sold separately just not sure of the part number.

I'll just order one off the web and do it myself.

UPDATE: OR do you guys just use soap and water with a little simple green and hand wash, let dry for a few days, then install?

Last edited:

cimbt001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Anyone know the part number for the Roush air filter that comes solo without the intake box? The red one that comes with the SC kit?

My local Ford dealearship parts guy said "The air filters aren't sold separately without the intake". I remember seeing them sold separately just not sure of the part number.

UPDATE: OR do you guys just use soap and water with a little simple green and hand wash, let dry for a few days, then install?
The filter is washable. I use Dawn and let it air dry. Do not oil!

Reactions: MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
The filter is washable. I use Dawn and let it air dry. Do not oil!
I was hoping to get a spare so I could hot swap them but I guess not. I'll take it out the box tonight now that I retrieved the car back from Ford.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I won't post the book that I want to but do any of you have Active Exhaust? I am on my 2nd pair of cats and they are failing too. One has a huge black band on the outside where the middle chamber is. In January, I started getting a notice on my dash that the exhaust mode wasn't selectable. It happened a few times when it was super cold so I didn't think much about it. About a month later I got a CEL for cat inefficiency and cleared the codes. A week later the CEL came on again for Cat inefficiency and also one for an exhaust valve not working or some shit. Upon researching I noticed that there is a Ford TSB for the exhaust valve and a NHSA article about the exhaust valves not working and causing backpressure, MISFIRES!, loss of power, burnt cats, etc... Got me thinking about how many of those issues I have had.... And the fact I'm on the second engine in my car... I always start it in quiet mode so I wonder if that's been a factor at all with my issues. Probably not but...

Either way, my cats are toast and the headers are going back on at the end of the month. I was thinking about pulling the fuse for the AE but my new neighbors (new hood) are going to hate me if I do... It has a Borla Type S and cold starts with headers and no cats are unbearably loud. AF.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I won't post the book that I want to but do any of you have Active Exhaust? I am on my 2nd pair of cats and they are failing too. One has a huge black band on the outside where the middle chamber is. In January, I started getting a notice on my dash that the exhaust mode wasn't selectable. It happened a few times when it was super cold so I didn't think much about it. About a month later I got a CEL for cat inefficiency and cleared the codes. A week later the CEL came on again for Cat inefficiency and also one for an exhaust valve not working or some shit. Upon researching I noticed that there is a Ford TSB for the exhaust valve and a NHSA article about the exhaust valves not working and causing backpressure, MISFIRES!, loss of power, burnt cats, etc... Got me thinking about how many of those issues I have had.... And the fact I'm on the second engine in my car... I always start it in quiet mode so I wonder if that's been a factor at all with my issues. Probably not but...

Either way, my cats are toast and the headers are going back on at the end of the month. I was thinking about pulling the fuse for the AE but my new neighbors (new hood) are going to hate me if I do... It has a Borla Type S and cold starts with headers and no cats are unbearably loud. AF.
I went off road before I go boost on my C5 but i knew when I heard the backfires on stock manifolds and cats after going with the 750hp roush tune that the cats would have no chance. is there a reason you can't have active exhaust with no cats?

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Went through 5 cats on my 19 Roush Stage 3 in only 14,000 miles and I had enough. Roush 2650 is a poorly designed blower for Gen 3 running too much boost. Never again.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The Gen3 Roush setup has pretty robust cat protection in place, moreso than any of the other SC brands. They do run a bit more boost than most, though. The trucks run a ton of cam overlap and less max rpm and the cats seem to do better but they leave some power on the table like that.

I'm going down an interesting path in my Nitemare, by doing flex tuning. The only physical mods are a thermostat, BAP, and very soon a 103 mm TB. I've done a lot of tuning for flex and it's working fantastic so far. The stock pump is holding pressure very well and the stock injector duty cycle has plenty of room left on the table; but we'll see soon if I can say the same after the TB upgrade. That said, the small intercooler and high boost aren't an issue when on E85. Egt is also cooler so cat failures should be less frequent.

I'm wondering if the same methodology and tuning could have similar effects on the car as it does on my truck. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

Last edited:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
I went off road before I go boost on my C5 but i knew when I heard the backfires on stock manifolds and cats after going with the 750hp roush tune that the cats would have no chance. is there a reason you can't have active exhaust with no cats?
no, not really. If the cats aren’t there, I’m pretty sure the valves opening and closing won’t be an issue. Even if they get stuck on one side. With cats in place though the active exhaust makes me think that’s the reason for all the melted cats. If I have no kitties on there, I would prefer to keep quiet mode for my neighbors sake. It is earth shattering loud to have no cats and started normal.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The gt500 includes logic that opens the active exhaust to protect the cats. I don’t see this in a random Roush car cal I pulled.

Last edited:

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Anyone want to be a guinea pig?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The gt500 includes logic that opens the active exhaust to protect the cats. I don’t see this in a random Roush car cal I pulled.
I open my active active exhaust whenever I'm driving outside of my neighborhood. I only pull away from the house with QUIET mode engaged. Then I flip to TRACK exhaust because everywhere is off road!

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
no, not really. If the cats aren’t there, I’m pretty sure the valves opening and closing won’t be an issue. Even if they get stuck on one side. With cats in place though the active exhaust makes me think that’s the reason for all the melted cats. If I have no kitties on there, I would prefer to keep quiet mode for my neighbors sake. It is earth shattering loud to have no cats and started normal.
I miss that. My corvette is pretty quiet straight piped in comparison. Nothing beats a Coyote cold start. Even with the cats and just roush cat back It's ridiculous.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
I'm wondering if the same methodology and tuning could have similar effects on the car as it does on my truck. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?
After the headers are BACK on my car, I'd be willing to blow up my second motor in the name of science (first one was free from Geico, so I'm one up). I'd prefer E85 but E54 is more readily available. Headers should be on before the end of the month.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
After the headers are BACK on my car, I'd be willing to blow up my second motor in the name of science (first one was free from Geico, so I'm one up). I'd prefer E85 but E54 is more readily available. Headers should be on before the end of the month.
I actually prefer flex tuning over dedicated e85 tunes anyway. One thing I do is let the fueling float and adapt just like it does for the f-150, but for timing I set it up to “toggle” on at 12/1 learned stoichiometry (~e50). In this way, you can watch the factory AFR gauge and know the switching point is 12/1. When switching fuels to gasoline, you know you’re safe once the AFR shows >12/1 because the additional timing turns off.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Edit, I just realized this is an old post and had sent you the part number and link to purchase awhile back. Here is a link to buy one. There are a few places that sell them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...KrKwu9FrCeo-8EGr-4t_1hv_TVt8JjPBoCZIcQAvD_BwE

Reactions: MCS