Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Updates are unlimited

I had the kit installed at a Roush certified Ford dealership, and that's where i would take it for the update. What about once the 3/36 is up?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Ohhhhh, I finally had the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light come on this weekend. We were all over the place on Saturday but I noticed the light come on when I started the car on Sunday morning to leave my gf place. I drove the car home very gingerly for like 30km.

Parked it and turned it off so I could do the driveway shuffle. When I started it up to move it close to the garage no light came on.

I popped the hood, took the side covers off and checked the oil. It needed a little so I ran over, using the Beater, to the auto/hardware store and grabbed some.

Post oil add I started it up again. No SERVICE ENGINE SOON light.

Washed the car. Then started it up a third time and moved it into the garage. No SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. My neighbour who has an F150 said Fords are notorious for throwing Soft Code lights so I didn't think much of it.

Go to bed.

Wake up this morning and my iPhone's notification deck actually had a notification (dated yesterday morning when I first noticed the light) from FORD PASS telling me that the car had detected an issue with the Catalytic convertor and that is why my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light was on.

Will be interesting to see if it comes back next time I take the Mustang out for a spin.

Last edited:

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Hasn't come back on yet. And I've driven it a few times.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
sometimes when I'm bored I come here and randomly choose a page to start reading from and fantasize about my one day supercharged mustang :cwl:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Hasn't come back on yet. And I've driven it a few times.
Do you mean the CEL or the wrench icon? I've had the wrench a couple times and from what I understand, it means the car is in limp mode. It has always gone off after turning the car off and restarting it. Happened once while doing my burnout at the strip. Never came back on. I've had it happen to both cars with this kit...

When my CEL came on for the catalytic converters, it stayed on. Till they were replaced.

I don't think I've had a code from the fordpass app when the wrench icon comes up.

sometimes when I'm bored I come here and randomly choose a page to start reading from and fantasize about my one day supercharged mustang :cwl:
How long did that take in this thread :p LOL... A month? I think I was one of the first people to post in this thread.. Been here awhile. It will never die. Search for Roush P2 in some search engines and this thread is one of the top results..

Do it... If your on this thread you will know that it's warrantied but a heatsoaking POS (It does heatsoak.. It's still Fast as Fuck)... It's a lot of fun though. I am the only person I know of to blow a Roush Supercharged Gen 3..... I've owned two..

No matter what kit you get, the coyote responds to boost very well. I love the look on the face of the Hellcat Redeye drivers when you start to gap them. In your stock looking 5.0.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
How long did that take in this thread :p LOL... A month?

Do it... If your on this thread you will know that it's warrantied but a heatsoaking POS (It does heatsoak.. It's still Fast as Fuck)... It's a lot of fun though. I am the only person I know of to blow a Roush Supercharged Gen 3..... I've owned two..

No matter what kit you get, the coyote responds to boost very well. I love the look on the face of the Hellcat Redeye drivers when you start to gap them. In your stock looking 5.0.
haha I don't think I'm 25% through this thread. But currently it's either Whipple or Roush, a requirement for me is 50 state carb legal (Roush said they cannot disclose if it's undergoing the process and Whipple said it has started). Closer to this time next year is when I'll actually be in the market for one. I like to "set it and forget it" so I'd be running the canned tune without further mods, and all I do is spirited street driving maybe 1 pull on the way home from work so either sounds perfect to me.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
haha I don't think I'm 25% through this thread. But currently it's either Whipple or Roush, a requirement for me is 50 state carb legal (Roush said they cannot disclose if it's undergoing the process and Whipple said it has started). Closer to this time next year is when I'll actually be in the market for one. I like to "set it and forget it" so I'd be running the canned tune without further mods, and all I do is spirited street driving maybe 1 pull on the way home from work so either sounds perfect to me.
Very nice, can't go wrong with either one. I can't vouch for the whipple but I have heard a custom tune is good for the drivability because the canned one isn't that great... Only what I've heard though.

Roush's tune is okay.. It drives well but does have a few quirks. When I floor it on some onramps that are a steep incline or downhill, it can shift and bounce off the revlimiter instead of shifting. S+ mode is a little weird with downshifts.. Again, I thought the canned tune was okay. The transmission tuning is fantastic when tuned by @wengerd... It's a totally different beast.

I'm back on the Roush tune and my headers are off for now because the dealer and my insurance company insisted on it... Whoops.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Very nice, can't go wrong with either one. I can't vouch for the whipple but I have heard a custom tune is good for the drivability because the canned one isn't that great... Only what I've heard though.

Roush's tune is okay.. It drives well but does have a few quirks. When I floor it on some onramps that are a steep incline or downhill, it can shift and bounce off the revlimiter instead of shifting. S+ mode is a little weird with downshifts.. Again, I thought the canned tune was okay. The transmission tuning is fantastic when tuned by @wengerd... It's a totally different beast.

I'm back on the Roush tune and my headers are off for now because the dealer and my insurance company insisted on it... Whoops.
were you on the roush tune for both incidents?

Last edited:

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Do you mean the CEL or the wrench icon?
CEL. It wasn't limp mode. According to FORDPASS, the car had detected an issue with the catalytic converter. Many folks who run boosted vehicles (regardless of kit) have stated that sometimes you can melt a convertor.

It hasn't come back on since and I've done some aggressive driving :)

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 1967 Chevy Chevelle
I seem to remember that the s550 cats from a certain year up are prone to this issue with cats.. Even at stock power levels.. Pretty sure everyone in this thread has had theirs replaced. Thats why I took mine off on this car at 3,000 miles or so... Unfortunately I managed to blow my motor.. $13,000 and 4 months later I have a working Roush P2 with exhaust manifolds and stock cats. We will see how long they last.. Hopefully till emissions next year.
what caused your engine to blow and how is the Phase 2 you have on it now?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
what caused your engine to blow and how is the Phase 2 you have on it now?
looks like cats + piston 6 if you go to the previous page

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 1967 Chevy Chevelle

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I decided to try SPORT mode since it was re-tuned in April with the latest calibration, and it's basically undrivable in the city. You need to be so heavy on the accelerator to get any kind of smooth shift, and heavy acceleration is massively loud due to the RPM shift points. Normal driving at normal acceleration is very spine intensive. I shudder to think how bad Track would be.

Thank god I programmed MYMODE with NORMAL driving/acceleration and TRACK exhaust LOL

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
The car was tuned when cylinder 6 went. It was misfiring on cylinder 6 and spewing white smoke if you got on it. I could tell it was hurt. That is all I know because my insurance company authorized a complete engine as the fix. The dealer said they borescoped it and there was scoring on cylinder 6 and they think it was a ringland.

Personally I don't think it was the tune because of all the other issues I've had with this particular car. I miss the tune and will be putting a revised tune back on it in September when my Roush warranty is up. It would have never went back to the Roush tune if this would have been out of my pocket.

Car was driven almost twice it's normal mileage in the year it was tuned. We put 8,000 miles on it during a road trip. I jumped it off an onramp backwards and bottomed out the car.. No damage to car but yeah.. I was that Mustang driver. Returning home we hit 165mph in Mexico and when I let off the car smelled like gas or smoke. That was after driving it all day averaging 90mph. The car was at 21,000 miles when we got home and went about 1,500 miles later. It had probably 20 trips down the 1/4 mile in that time as well. There was no sign of trouble until the CEL popped up.. Then it was over.

Pretty sure the engine was going LONG before it was tuned.