Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I've also got the UPR Dual Catch Can kit.

The Roush Tune is only drivable in NORMAL mode. If I'm in sport+ if it is jarring going from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 (on the A10) and if I'm in TRACK mode my spine hurts after my neck snaps back during the same shifts.

Next year I'll be looking at options to change that as I enjoy driving around in SPORT mode LOL

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Yeah the install could vary based on your other mods. That's why I figured I'd post some pictures of mine.
It took me a couple tries to get everything fitting over the Roush coil covers. I don't remember if I used the shortest provided hose (with 90 connectors) on the passenger or driver side.

**Edit** Oh actually it looks like UPR updated that webpage. Those installed pics are much better now.

Last edited:

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

The Roush Tune is only drivable in NORMAL mode. If I'm in sport+ if it is jarring going from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 (on the A10) and if I'm in TRACK mode my spine hurts after my neck snaps back during the same shifts.

Next year I'll be looking at options to change that as I enjoy driving around in SPORT mode LOL
Sports mode with 750hp is truly a blast. I got a manual though. Hope you get it fixed by next season. :like:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

Wengerd all the way. Light throttle in S+ shifts like butter. Mash the gas and it shifts like drag mode though.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I would be really pissed if I had to go to 3rd party tuner and lose the warranty. the whole idea of roush kit advantage is dealership serviceable warranty and stock-like manners, which is the case for manual transmission cars.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I would be really pissed if I had to go to 3rd party tuner and lose the warranty. the whole idea of roush kit advantage is dealership serviceable warranty and stock-like manners, which is the case for manual transmission cars.
That is precisely where I am at right now. The thought of getting a third-party tune on a car and losing the warranty is quite frustrating. This isn't like I spent $1000.00 for a set of wheels. Adding a SC costs more than some people's entire car.

I will be providing feedback to Roush directly. The local Ford dealership has nothing to do with it at that point.

Greyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1971 fj40, 1986 fj60, 2003 f250 7.3, 1968
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update for those that are still here :p

Being tuned by @Wengerd Performance is a night and day difference over the Roush tune. I still have no cooling mod's to speak of but summer (and cooler months) performance is MUCH better. The drivability is great and strip numbers are way more consistent. I've been to the track the last couple of weeks and other than flat out race cars, there aren't too many cars that are faster.

With the Roush tune, I was lucky to hit 120mph (compared to 112 when stock) in the summer. This summer I was at 125 with the Wengerd tune. In the cooler months here on the Roush tune I could hit 128mph on a good run. Now I'm at 133-135. This is on 20" Street S/S tires averaging a 1.9 to 2.0 60'. Best run on the Roush tune was a 10.9 @ 128mph with a 1.7 60'. The other night I ran a 10.74 @ 134 with a 1.87 60'.

Heatsoak is obviously still an issue but on the Roush tune if I hot lapped the car my numbers always went down. That 10.7 was 15 minutes after running a 10.9.. I had 3 runs in 30 minutes and still run 133mph the other night. Temps were in the 60's and my IAT2's were at 125 sitting in the pits after each run. DA was 1000'.

My best run was against a weight reduced, bolt on NA, E85 18+ S550. He was on 17" drag radials and had a 1.57 for a 60'. He beat me in the 1/8th mile with a 7.05 @ 99 to my 7.07 at 108 (my best 1/8th). He ran an 11.0 @ 124. I ran a 10.7 @ 134. I know his passenger and rear seats were removed. With my reaction time I managed to catch him in the first 330' with a 1.87 for a 60'. It was a damn good race and compared to most people at the strip, this guy knew what he was doing :)

I also noticed that after the tune, I no longer hit 7th gear in the 1/4 mile. Car now shifts into 6th a bit before the end of my run. The other night I was barking the tires and getting a little kick out from the rear end in every shift... Crazy breaking traction at over 100mph. Obviously I need some better rubber for the strip but I'm pretty happy with the car lately. I still have plans to go E85 but it will be a bit.

Seriously though, even if it's all in the transmission tuning and raising of the rev limiter/shift points, the tune was worth every penny. Hot weather soup or not :)

Here are my slips from the other night. First 3 runs were done in 30 minutes and then the car sat for an hour and a half. The next two runs were 10 minutes apart. First run was just testing for track prep so I didn't floor it until 3rd gear or so.

These were my most consistent runs *ever*. I plan to dyno it for shits & giggles soon. All runs were done in Drag Mode, Shifter in S, with TC off. I did a burnout until the tires smoked briefly.

2022-11-18 track.jpg

Watched many a Hellcat with the same size drag radials struggle to get out of the 12's. There was a 2023 M4 Comp running mid 11's after his first few runs. Fastest cars there (not brought on trailers) were two Silverado pickups running low 10's. They were beasts.
Yo guys, u know I sold my supercharged mustang a while back and have regretted it after moving to Fl

Anyway, I found a car
Wanted to know what you thought?

2018 GT Convertible Premium A10
PP1 with Active Exhaust
Digital Dash
Magna Ride

It has 10k miles
1 Owner
However its not certified but a good carfax, no accidents

Dealer wants $38000
Sticker was 60k new

What do u think?
stymee just to be funny this thread is for questions for guys who actually have the roush kit but since you are the OP in this you wont be directed somewhere else in the forums!!!!

Greyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So just to show the progression 1 run was roush phase I when i first recieved the car in 2018 (disappointed) then phase II (said if it ran in the 6’s id be happy), pbd 93r tune (big difference) then wengerd e85 and kc kit stock pulley.

6F5325C6-B48F-4CBD-A736-34CA5212EC16.jpeg

DB64D499-BEF9-45F3-AE45-2351D662BBBA.jpeg

C6C9478D-AB00-40F2-9A52-5E73DF55D42B.jpeg

2EC671F8-FC45-4687-B271-DA22AF633FCF.jpeg

Greyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So just to show the progression 1 run was roush phase I when i first recieved the car in 2018 (disappointed) then phase II (said if it ran in the 6’s id be happy), pbd 93r tune (big difference) then wengerd e85 and kc kit stock pulley.

6F5325C6-B48F-4CBD-A736-34CA5212EC16.jpeg

DB64D499-BEF9-45F3-AE45-2351D662BBBA.jpeg

C6C9478D-AB00-40F2-9A52-5E73DF55D42B.jpeg

2EC671F8-FC45-4687-B271-DA22AF633FCF.jpeg
Not quite in the right order picture wise but do have probably 30+ passes on the car so to start at 7.5 and now at 6.37 in 1/8th has been great to see the progress and of course now im thinkin of smaller pulley or go vmp 8rib then even smaller if fuel rails will handle it ill go in small increments tho.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
Not quite in the right order picture wise but do have probably 30+ passes on the car so to start at 7.5 and now at 6.37 in 1/8th has been great to see the progress and of course now im thinkin of smaller pulley or go vmp 8rib then even smaller if fuel rails will handle it ill go in small increments tho.
I would kill for your 60' times but I'm not willing to buy new 17" rims unless I buy Weld's and that just ain't happening :) Doesn't help our drag strip is gone next year...

My MPH is very close to yours in the 1/8th and 1/4 (unless this was a run where you let off, can't remember) but I just can't get below the 7's in the 1/8th.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don't know guys, I’d have to agree. If u have a warranty for 3 years u may as well wait til it ends to mod the car but everyones different

Seems now some dealers aren't busting balls on the Whipple kit with the Whipple warranty so regardless of Roush or Whipple I’d run the canned tune til the warranty ended, but again thats just me

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
I don't know guys, I’d have to agree. If u have a warranty for 3 years u may as well wait til it ends to mod the car but everyones different

Seems now some dealers aren't busting balls on the Whipple kit with the Whipple warranty so regardless of Roush or Whipple I’d run the canned tune til the warranty ended, but again thats just me
agreed, I bought my 19 PP2 used with the phase 2 already on it and got a 80,000 mile 10 year bumper to bumper for dumb cheap. So what I did was contact Roush and they had a calibration update for my car. So I’d suggest owners check with roush. I’m sure I could make more consistent power with an after market tune but I’m happy with the power output and drive ability. I haven’t taken it to the track but I’ve run a stage 3 GTI and a c6 z06 and beat them both. I’m happy with it.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
3 years, 836 pages later..... I feel like @Greyhorse and I are the only one's still here pushing the limits of this kit. If you skip back 200 pages, it may be the same discussion!

Even the OP has a negative stance on this kit and I'm pretty sure he only pressed on the gas a total of 3 times when he owned it. Not much time to rate a kit.

My stock 2018 Mustang was the fastest car I've ever owned and the first car I've taken to the strip since 2001. Add the Roush and it's more than your average person has ever experienced, let alone driven. After 2 years and at least a hundred runs at the strip I traded the 2018 for a 2019 and started modding it almost immediately. Could I have chosen another kit? Yep.. But not one that would roll into Ford Financing with 0% interest. Did I mention that Ford gave me $10,000 above what I owed for a lease?!?! The second one has been modded even further and I had no qualms getting it tuned after a year and a half and it still gets work done under warranty.

I've pushed this kit pretty hard and told Roush about almost everything I've done to the car.. Drag Radials? Yep. Drag strip? Yep.. Hell, the dealer that I traded the first one to called me and asked me what the dyno numbers were and what it ran at the strip...

The kit is reliable which is why you don't see any blown motors... It may not as fast in the summer months but it's faster than anything you will come up against most of the time and when you add a tune it comes alive even further. I wouldn't have any issues buying this kit a 3rd time and tuning it right from the get go. Would I do it again? No.. This will be the last 2 door coupe I ever own. I have a few more mods in store if I decide to go crazy. Wouldn't be any cheaper with another kit.

See you guys in another 835 pages :)

To add on to this, any S550 I've seen at the strip with another kit was driven by your average joe and was struggling to get into the 11's... A common problem for cars with high HP driven by inexperienced people and I suffered from the same problem. For the longest time when I started going to the track the fastest Mustang there was a V6 S550 with a procharger running mid 10's.

Last edited:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
Still lurking with mine. Waiting to blow through the 3y/36 mile warrant for a proper tune. Will be glad to have the transmission shifts cleaned up with the proper tune. Not sure Roush will ever get that worked out.
Just a bump (from April!)... Get that thing tuned. The transmission is like butter now over the Roush tune.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
3 years, 836 pages later..... I feel like @Greyhorse and I are the only one's still here pushing the limits of this kit. If you skip back 200 pages, it may be the same discussion!

Even the OP has a negative stance on this kit and I'm pretty sure he only pressed on the gas a total of 3 times when he owned it. Not much time to rate a kit.

My 2018 Mustang stock was the fastest car I've ever owned and the first car I've taken to the strip since 2001. Add the Roush and it's more than your average person has ever experienced, let alone driven. After 2 years and at least a hundred runs at the strip I traded the 2018 for a 2019 and started modding it almost immediately. Could I have chosen another kit? Yep.. But not one that would roll into Ford Financing with 0% interest. Did I mention that Ford gave me $10,000 above what I owed for a lease?!?! The second one has been modded even further and I had no qualms getting it tuned after a year and a half and it still gets work done under warranty.

I've pushed this kit pretty hard and told Roush about almost everything I've done to the car.. Drag Radials? Yep. Drag strip? Yep.. Hell, the dealer that I traded the first one to called me and asked me what the dyno numbers were and what it ran at the strip...

The kit is reliable which is why you don't see any blown motors... It may not as fast in the summer months but it's faster than anything you will come up against most of the time and when you add a tune it comes alive even further. I wouldn't have any issues buying this kit a 3rd time and tuning it right from the get go. Would I do it again? No.. This will be the last 2 door coupe I ever own. I have a few more mods in store if I decide to go crazy. Wouldn't be any cheaper with another kit.

See you guys in another 835 pages :)
U make great points Baked but believe me I raced the car on the street and it ran very well, unfortunately if u remember correctly almost all tracks weren't open because of Covid before I could even get a slip. Atco even cancelled a track rental we had weeks before I sold it which really pissed me off but it is what it is.

Next I had a situation where RETIREMENT at 55 was a possibility and in the end retiring to Fl was a bit more important to my wife and I vs a time slip so I sold the car and now I swim, cycle and go to the gym and basically live my life with no stress😎

I would like another GT and even put up a few posts about getting one but like you I’m also thinking a performance sedan may be better choice?

Now lets be truthful, u got rid of a leased car when the stars aligned (Overvalued Covid Cars) which for u was awesome but not the norm, I’m happy for you but don't make it out that this is a common occurrence because in 6 months that wont happen as the bubble is coming to an end.

I hope u go as fast as u can and wish u nothing but the best, but to take shots at me with your bs comment (the original poster) was kind’ve mean spirited…

Happy Thanksgiving😎

82171BC9-1EAB-4A32-B6D6-1C15B4C7FC3C.jpeg