Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Mine dynoed at 681/599 with just the blower. I feel like 750 whp should be pretty easily achievable with a pulley swap, boostane, and a tune. I don't have a magic number in my head, but I would like to beat my old car's numbers, so if I could get 800 out of it I'd probably be happy. My asy mustang had a lot of work put into it (2015 in sig) and the last time i had it dynoed before i sold it it made something like 766/560. Stock P1SC only made like 550hp/?tq so I'm definitely impressed with the power numbers stock to stock. If I ever start going to the strip I'd like to have a chance at 9s. But I did buy a manual which will make that a lot harder.
I don't think 800 would be realistic with 93 pump gas. You could get low 700 depending on the dyno and atmosphere. I've never really been big on dyno numbers it's just a tuning tool really. The track is where you will find out how much power the car really makes. I have not been able to get to the track yet since switching to E85 but I'm sure it will be high 9s

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Just curious....has anyone ever run 9s with a 2018+ Roush? Seems I recall the guy from Texas running VERY low 10s but I haven't kept up with the latest strip numbers. Doing it with a manual would be a noteworthy event to say the least.

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Just curious....has anyone ever run 9s with a 2018+ Roush? Seems I recall the guy from Texas running VERY low 10s but I haven't kept up with the latest strip numbers. Doing it with a manual would be a noteworthy event to say the least.
I honestly don't remember but I thought someone had done it already.

jtgdg5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Somewhere buried in this tome of 2018+ Roush knowledge there was a dude that ran into the 9s. They were on e85, smaller pully, and Nitrous. I think he was from Texas. Definitely was near max for the blower.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I don't think 800 would be realistic with 93 pump gas. You could get low 700 depending on the dyno and atmosphere. I've never really been big on dyno numbers it's just a tuning tool really. The track is where you will find out how much power the car really makes. I have not been able to get to the track yet since switching to E85 but I'm sure it will be high 9s
If I were to go down that route, I would be using 93 with 32 oz boostane which would put it around 102. If I can't get close to that with a tune, pulley, and 102, I'll probably just swap platforms when I start modding. I could maybe, possibly, do E85, but it would be a massive pain. Closest E85 station is almost 80 miles away so I would have to haul some 55 gallon drums to fill up and then make that trip every so often to reload.

I'm not experienced with racing. I'd like to start, but right now I'm pretty much an armchair racer. I know that I won't be running 9s with a manual and me as the driver unless my setup is easily capable of it and I get a lot of seat time. The good news is that this isn't my DD, so i dont have to worry as much about breaking stuff. But for now it's just theoretical.

If you guys are struggling to find one person who ran 9s with the blower, that's a good indicator that I should look elsewhere if I decide I want more power. I probably won't waste money on a tune and pulley and stuff. I'll just leave it as is until I want more power, then pick a different setup. I'd like to drive a whipple car and a turbo car before I decide on a setup though. Turbos would be the best in terms of future power gains.

Somewhere buried in this tome of 2018+ Roush knowledge there was a dude that ran into the 9s. They were on e85, smaller pully, and Nitrous. I think he was from Texas. Definitely was near max for the blower.
The Nitrous kinda invalidates the blower running 9s though, right?

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Turbos is a much better way to get lots of power. I think 8 or 900 would be possible with e85 and a few other mods like ported blower and a smaller pulley. I also think the car really isn't ideal for street driving at that point. In my opinion after 800whp the car starts to become more of a track car than for street.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
@Fx2beast (Primo) is who ran a 10.1 at the strip and that was before he had some other modifications done. Pretty sure had he made it back to the track with the new mods he could have hit high 9’s easily.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Turbos is a much better way to get lots of power. I think 8 or 900 would be possible with e85 and a few other mods like ported blower and a smaller pulley. I also think the car really isn't ideal for street driving at that point. In my opinion after 800whp the car starts to become more of a track car than for street.
I would think that in terms of streetability, a centri is probably the best at that power level. You don't have to do a lot to it (about the same as other setups, but no porting or impeller mods or anything, just pulley and fuel), and you don't make boost driving around normally. Downside is the torque. I'm not sure where the whipple would lie, but i imagine it's still fairly friendly at that level.

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I would think that in terms of streetability, a centri is probably the best at that power level. You don't have to do a lot to it, and you don't make boost driving around normally. Downside is the torque. I'm not sure where the whipple would lie, but i imagine it's still fairly friendly at that level.
It was the easy to access low end torque that I liked about the Roush...that and no additional NVH. No need to rev it to the moon to make power and it sounded stock. Personally, I can't stand the sound of a procharger but that is up to individual taste. There are a number of factory supercharged vehicles but none that I know of uses a centri and I suspect they have their reasons.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It was the easy to access low end torque that I liked about the Roush...that and no additional NVH. No need to rev it to the moon to make power and it sounded stock. Personally, I can't stand the sound of a procharger but that is up to individual taste. There are a number of factory supercharged vehicles but none that I know of uses a centri and I suspect they have their reasons.
That's fair. I personally like the sound of a centri but like you said that is personal preference. I haven't run my roush very hard yet, so I can't give a really good comparison, but I do feel like I didn't once feel like the car was slow down low. Let me go through my post history and find a dyno graph from that car and I'll post it here to see how the torque compares.

As far as reliability, I never had an issue with the procharger that wasn't due to error on my part. Not clamping hoses properly, etc. I imagine that the main factors for why they aren't used are that a)they are loud, like you said, and b)they require fairly regular oil changes. They also stick out in the engine bay and don't give an OEM look.

Edit: here is my last procharger dyno. I'm going to post it and then look at it and edit again.

First one is the procharger dyno. It was done in 4th gear and had an ABS issue. Second is my stock roush dyno in 5th gear.

IMG_20191009_185145.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

So it looks like he hit it at about 3400 RPM and it was over 400 instantly. That was in 4th gear, I'm not sure exactly what that converts to in 5th gear. Roush was up over 100 rwtq at that point and kept climbing, although it fell off after 5k where the procharger stayed pretty flat. So a pretty big difference down low, but I don't think it felt much different.

Edit with a question:

Does the roush kit use a BAP? Or does it just rely fully on the stock fuel system?

Last edited:

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
@Roush05 no bap in the kit just new injectors and factory fuel pump.
Okay, thank you. I looked around a little online but the descriptions for the kit are pretty vague when it comes to fueling. I wonder what the duty cycle of the 47 lb injectors is with the roush tune.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Well, if you wondered if a Roush kit will spit flame, here's your answer :)

Some Youtubers borrowed my car for a day.

Fx2beast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford f150 2019 mustang gt
@Fx2beast (Primo) is who ran a 10.1 at the strip and that was before he had some other modifications done. Pretty sure had he made it back to the track with the new mods he could have hit high 9’s easily.
Yea best time was a 10.01 on 93 octane. I ended up going e85 and smaller upper pulley. For sure would have been mid 9s. Guess we'll never know 😢.