Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth I have a 19 with a roush on it. Canned tune install 10/19 with 200 miles on car, 3500 as of today. Was just in Mexico doing a roll with a CTS-V in perfect weather. First run 80-155 I’m out in front a car or two. Second run get down to 60 he takes the hit I punch the gas and the throttle closes up like I’m slamming on my brakes. Really disappointed in this setup honestly. Regret the purchase, happy to have warranty that’s cool and important but if that is what I get for the $ then it wasn’t worth it. One pull, on a roll none the less in 53f temps?....
Yeah I think these are good for one Race type pull with lots of cool down with good air at highway speeds. Anything more and it seems to be time for an ice tank or other cooler.

ccull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Roushcharged
Yeah, idk you would think with that low of outside temps it would do well for a couple rolls on the freeway. I respect them being cautious for warranty purpose but that’s really soft. Trying to figure out where I go from here. Try phase two, love it or put the intake back on sell Roush, take a beating on cost and go turbo....

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not related to the Phase 2 kit, but I just got my Phase 1 calibration updated (I believe an update came out a few weeks ago). Don't think there is more power but the shift points and throttle response have been improved quite a bit, I'd say this is a bigger improvement from the 1st to 2nd calibration update I had done before. Haven't had a lot of seat time just yet but from a couple of highway pulls I can already tell this setup is way more fun to drive.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, idk you would think with that low of outside temps it would do well for a couple rolls on the freeway. I respect them being cautious for warranty purpose but that’s really soft. Trying to figure out where I go from here. Try phase two, love it or put the intake back on sell Roush, take a beating on cost and go turbo....
was the CTS-V stock?

ccull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
was the CTS-V stock?
Not sure what, if any modifications were done but for the first run I was pulling on him before it was time to slow down. Which is how it should be I believe unless there are significant modifications to it?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what, if any modifications were done but for the first run I was pulling on him before it was time to slow down. Which is how it should be I believe unless there are significant modifications to it?
So the second run he took you easily because of the tb closing?

I’ll be honest. I’ve taken quite a few trips to Mexico and never had the tb close down like hitting “the brakes”. Cut power sure when it’s super hot but now what you described

ccull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
So the second run he took you easily because of the tb closing?

I’ll be honest. I’ve taken quite a few trips to Mexico and never had the tb close down like hitting “the brakes”. Cut power sure when it’s super hot but now what you described
Yeah literally I pressed the pedal and the car fell flat on its face.....did not move. Not I lost and it felt slow, the car literally did not move, it closed out like I braked. There was no race 2 essentially my car did not move. Appreciate the skepticism, not here for that tho just sharing my experience for other prospective buyers.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah literally I pressed the pedal and the car fell flat on its face.....did not move. Not I lost and it felt slow, the car literally did not move, it closed out like I braked. There was no race 2 essentially my car did not move. Appreciate the skepticism, not here for that tho just sharing my experience for other prospective buyers.
no skepticism. I believe you for sure but I think there might be an issue. Mine becomes closer to stock the hotter it gets. Especially if it’s been sitting in the sun.

Im no Roush fan right now but I’d call them and tell them what happened. Leaving out the Mexico part of course.

ccull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
no skepticism. I believe you for sure but I think there might be an issue. Mine becomes closer to stock the hotter it gets. Especially if it’s been sitting in the sun.

Im no Roush fan right now but I’d call them and tell them what happened. Leaving out the Mexico part of course.
thanks toast. Yeah I’m going to call them, I haven’t done many passes like today but I have done a couple back 2 backs before today and that has not happened to me until now. Today was the first time however I was in a back to back race where I stayed in a little longer the first run and the response I got for the second was like damn....this thing really is significantly handicapped.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I don't know anything about 80-150 mph runs but I think CTSv are high 11 to low 12 second cars in the quarter when stock. That is about where a stock 10R80 Mustang is.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know anything about 80-150 mph runs but I think CTSv are high 11 to low 12 second cars in the quarter when stock. That is about where a stock 10R80 Mustang is.
the new one is 11.6 but older ones yeah, unless they’re modded. Modded they can be nasty. Lot of potential with those things. If you hear an after market exhaust look out

ccull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
the new one is 11.6 but older ones yeah, unless they’re modded. Modded they can be nasty. Lot of potential with those things. If you hear an after market exhaust look out
it was a good run, def didn’t stand a chance (CTS) run one however sucked falling flat round two...my car is a pp1 a10 car. Car typically feels really good for one pass as I have done many times, was shocked it crapped out second run. Was disappointed that at these temps from a roll the tune was so conservative that happened. Will call them, see if they supply new calibration and update here. I want nothing more than the money I spent to be well spent but today def stung.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
it was a good run, def didn’t stand a chance (CTS) run one however sucked falling flat round two...my car is a pp1 a10 car. Car typically feels really good for one pass as I have done many times, was shocked it crapped out second run. Was disappointed that at these temps from a roll the tune was so conservative that happened. Will call them, see if they supply new calibration and update here. I want nothing more than the money I spent to be well spent but today def stung.
I had mine installed by a speed shop. When I picked up The car the tuner came out and tried to charge me extra. She bitched about the Roush tune and rambled about how long it took to download. With everyone’s bad experiences I’m starting to wonder if she said fuck it and Dyno tuned it herself. They had it for like 2 weeks and when I asked what was taking so long they kept saying the tuner had it. I’m like why is the tuner doing anything? Who knows but your story isn’t unusual at all. It’s pretty unanimous the canned tune sucks.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
LOL
I hear ya bud. I'm like,.............buy mods for the Mustang, (or save up for my next daily driver, which I won't need for a very long time), ordering a Jeep SRT. Choices, choices. LOL :crazy: :crazy: :crackup:
I plan on moving south when I retire, but that's in 20 years, 67 years old. :facepalm: lol I ABSOLUTELY HATE the cold, snow and ice.
Are you guys getting snow today/tonight as well?

Philly is getting snow now, I’m in Fl for a month, it’s sunny everyday and 75-80

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
At least I have never heard anyone complain about the drivability of the Roush tunes. It is possible that the phase 2 cal will not be so quick to close the throttle. It will be interesting hear how it does as more people get it and share info.

Like we all know, the basic design is flawed for repeated WOT pulls. The new cal may help but it is highly unlikely to be a complete fix. Roush knows that phase 1 has a bad rep for heat soak. They claim the phase 2 is better. We will see....