Sponsored

Question for FPRS Track Attack Car Owners - Exhaust Damper Weights

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
If you own one of the FPRS Track Attack cars, please let me know if your car has the exhaust vibration dampers in place and, if so, whether they are full size.

I ask because the Mule's appear to be cut down - well one is cut down and the other has the rubber almost completely torn off. I'm wondering if that was intentional or if something occurred during its rather hard former life.
Sponsored

Slywilliez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
My right side was cut down and the left side is gone!

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL - mine are opposite!

Slywilliez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
I found these! The run 100 bucks, just not sure they are

E90782A0-B3EE-425E-B4FE-C72C5ADC91E4.png

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep - I have a set on order.

But, I'm curious to learn if other FPRS cars have their weights cut off or otherwise removed. Lots of mention of cracked headers..... so it could be that they took the weights off to avoid more cracks or the cracks appeared because they took the weights off. Hmmmmmm - inquiring minds want to know.

Sponsored

Slywilliez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
My wife’s car#15 are perfect and not cut.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Yep - I have a set on order.

But, I'm curious to learn if other FPRS cars have their weights cut off or otherwise removed. Lots of mention of cracked headers..... so it could be that they took the weights off to avoid more cracks or the cracks appeared because they took the weights off. Hmmmmmm - inquiring minds want to know.
I would think that the cracks occurred because they were removed, fell off, were modified, etc. I remember talking to the factory Ford teams (during the grid walk at COTA in 2017) about the swap from FPC to CPC (subject has been discussed here some) among other things for the GS series. I expressed disappointment that they only ran the "factory" car for one year.

There were a number of factors that made sense due to BOP, but they also discussed issues with vibration due to the removal of the tuned mass damping systems (and lots of other mass) on the car - particularly on the exhaust.

I recall one of the engineers saying: "Don't mess with the exhaust or mass dampers and you won't have a problem. Change the components or remove mass and you will crack the exhaust."

I've taken him at his word so far!

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I just looked at mine. The drivers side appears to be trimmed. The passenger side does not appear to be.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My wife’s car#15 are perfect and not cut.
#15? white with blue stripes? Ben Treynor's wife, Christine drove that car at the first GT350 track attack. If you don't know who that is, google it.

Slywilliez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
#15? white with blue stripes? Ben Treynor's wife, Christine drove that car at the first GT350 track attack. If you don't know who that is, google it.
Thanks, I’ll look into it!

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I don't think the dampers were cut although they look like it. I think they crack and flake off layers. Just a theory though.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I don't think the dampers were cut although they look like it. I think they crack and flake off layers. Just a theory though.
I agree - just looked at your photos. I would have expected striations from a sawzall or similar if they were intentionally cut down.