Sponsored

Question between subwoofers (aftermarket jl subs)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I had a JL Stealthbox in my mustang, I liked it. But I wanted more. I found a dual tw1 12 box. In which I bought and it sounds way better than single tw3 12. But they are still shallow subs.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-bnEZUa3Q1AZ/p_13693317/JL-Audio-CS212LG-TW1.html

But my winter vehicle is a Scion tC, it has just a 10 inch subwoofer, JL Stealthbox. Itā€™s a 10w3v3

both my mustang and Scion both have a 500 watt rms running 2ohms, now donā€™t get wrong. The mustang sounds solid and very happy, but now Iā€™m in winter car and I realize the damn scions 10w3v3 sounds amazing. Makes me wonder if I should get a 12w6v3 for the mustang instead dual tw1ā€™s

now there is a difference the Scion has no trunk, itā€™s open hatch sothe sound has no barrier just clean open sound.

my mustang has spacers on the seat latches porting trunk to the cabin which honestly was 10x better than without it.

What would sound better?

dual tw1 box with 500watts @ 2ohms

or single 12w6v3 @ 500 watts 2ohms. Same amp

hereā€™s the the box Iā€™m thinking about. Itā€™s 150 more than the tw1 box. Maybe that says something.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LYeQhxOL4JM/p_13693307/JL-Audio-CS112G-W6v3.html

What would be stronger, more forceful, or better sound quality?
Which would you pick.

part of me wants to order it, just to toss in there and see the difference. 10 bucks to return it if I donā€™t like it.
I could always sell the tw1ā€™ box pretty easily imo
Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
If you want a prefab JL Audio box, this is the one to get, since you only want one 12ā€ driver:
HO112-W6v3

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve always preferred sealed boxes, would that be much different other than being ported?
Just curious. Always loved tight clear bass. All my friends have boomy bass. I just prefer tighter.

see I turn down the tw1ā€™s on some music, they absolutely jam. But I just wondered if I could give up a little bit of output for some deeper harder hits

Dual tw1 12ā€™s vs single 12w6v3 both running 500-600watts rms @ 2 ohms.

What difference would I notice?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Iā€™ve always preferred sealed boxes, would that be much different other than being ported?
Just curious. Always loved tight clear bass. All my friends have boomy bass. I just prefer tighter.

see I turn down the tw1ā€™s on some music, they absolutely jam. But I just wondered if I could give up a little bit of output for some deeper harder hits

Dual tw1 12ā€™s vs single 12w6v3 both running 500-600watts rms @ 2 ohms.

What difference would I notice?
In general, a SQ box is typically sealed as it has much better low frequency extension (ability to play to 20 Hz or lower) and power handling. A ported box, in general, will offer more overall output at the expense of low frequency extension and it cannot handle as much power below the boxā€™s tuned frequency.

The bottom line: there is no free lunch. You can make a ported boxā€™s tuned frequency lower to help with bass extension, but, typically, the box size starts to get very large.

In your Mustang, try moving your dual TW1 box in several different positions (closer to the back seat, closer to the trunk latch, while firing forward and backward, and try the box with the long edge running from front to back in the trunk) using the same volume setting on your radio and same amp gain setting. Itā€˜s possible that you are hearing a standing wave or mode issue that is giving the impression of poor bass response. If positioning of the box changes the bass response, itā€™s a vehicle issue. Replacing your existing box with another in the same position will yield similar disappointing results.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ported or sealed don't define "tight" or "boomy". You can build a boomy sealed and a tight ported box. It just depends on how to model the box to the specs of the driver.
That said, most prefab boxes are not exactly fit to the drivers and therefor they tend to be "boomy" as they have large peaks in certain areas of bass, most of the time in the upper bass region.

Tune a ported box low with WinISD according to the specs of the driver and a ported box will be as tight as a sealed one, albeit will have a lot more bass around the tuning frequency and less distortion in the lower bass due to the fact that around the tuning frequency a driver in a ported box almost has no excursion.

Sponsored

bba37GT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I am running a single 12in W6-v3 D4 in a custom sealed enclosure and cannot recommend it enough. If installed correctly, it is all the sub you need in a car the size of the Mustang in my opinion. The sub hits hard and is clean sounding, in fact I had to tune the bass down since it could overpower the music. My amp for the sub is an older amp MTX 1000XD running at 500 watts RMS at 4ohms, which is plenty to make the sub happy and perform well above expectations.

The major caution to look out for is to make sure your box/ enclosure has enough depth and volume. The W6 depth and volume requirements should be followed for a sealed box/ enclosure, otherwise you are not going to get the sound you are expecting and/ or looking for.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Crutchfield told me that my current box with the double cone surface is going to be way harder hit. He said going to a single, I would lose quite a bit impact.
He said my current
Box and tw1ā€™s go to gym 24hz meanwhile the w6 can go to 20hz but claimed I wouldnā€™t be able to hear the difference.

Part of me says, order it. If I donā€™t like it, I know and only cost me 10 bucks to send back lol.

thatā€™sJL audios prefab box and w6sub together. From them directly, Iā€™d have to
Imagine itā€™s sized correctly.

bba37GT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
They are right about the sound part, we are only able to hear so many frequencies as humans. From owning the W6v0 and now the W6v4, you will tap out from the pressure first when you start pushing the sub(s). I have not ran two 10s in a car in a very long time, so I cannot say whether the two 10s hit harder than the W6 12". Also once you have it installed and tuned, I have a feeling that you will not consider sending the sub back.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I say go for it.

Crutchfield told me that my current box with the double cone surface is going to be way harder hit. He said going to a single, I would lose quite a bit impact.
He said my current
Box and tw1ā€™s go to gym 24hz meanwhile the w6 can go to 20hz but claimed I wouldnā€™t be able to hear the difference.

Part of me says, order it. If I donā€™t like it, I know and only cost me 10 bucks to send back lol.

thatā€™sJL audios prefab box and w6sub together. From them directly, Iā€™d have to
Imagine itā€™s sized correctly.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I decided rock what I got, but still was curious. I tossed the dual tw1ā€™s in my Scion 500watts rms @ 2ohms, itā€™s a hatchback with no separation between trunk and cabin. Sounds nasty.

but part of me still wonders what a single 12w6v3 soundsin comparison.

so I ordered it today. Itl be here Saturday, I can do a direct comparison in my Scion, both subs in trunk, just unhook and hook other sub.20 second swap, do some testing with my ears.

God itā€™s gonna suck if I fall In love with the w6 means Iā€™m gonna have to take a loss and sell the tw1 box. I figure I can probably get 550-600 from it.

Or.. toss it in my gfā€™s little 2015 sonic hatchback lol/

my logic is,
I will have the exact clarity with these two subs in Scion. As testing purposes since I can hear them with no trunk separation

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve bought like 30 subwoofers and enclosures from them, asked them straight up I want to see if itā€™s worth upgrading too. They said 10 bucks is our charge to return.

fine with me.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
As you know from our previous conversations, we both use Crutchfield a lot and agree their service is great.

Iā€™ve bought like 30 subwoofers and enclosures from them, asked them straight up I want to see if itā€™s worth upgrading too. They said 10 bucks is our charge to return.

fine with me.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The link in original post, the dual tw1 box. It was 670, + like 50 for tax. So roughly 720 out door for me.

think I can get 550-600 2nd hand? Itā€™s sold out online.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Just did a little sound test. Lost some pressure like intensity... but.. I am hearing some lows Iā€™ve never heard. Instead of headache level bass, I am having hairs sticking up from lows. In Scion, I just stuck box in mustang about to drive around and test

13D16D3A-9F7F-44F5-8917-B6F0B9BBEE4C.jpeg

60B717B8-C2DB-45CF-8D63-853F722E29CD.jpeg

01844C51-D1CF-4A59-929B-AFE53E2D9E55.jpeg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I'm betting you are going to like it.
Sponsored