OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Whatever plastic, or poly material it is, it scratches if you look at it too hard. I have been using plastic polish to remove the superficial scratches that appear from regular cleaning. I assume it is a soft pliable material that permitted that result in the wreck.
i've been having a heck of a time trying to clean this plastic panel up. it's got light swirls and stuff on it that i cant seem to remove. tried meguiars stuff and griot's and i just cannot clean it up to my liking. it's such a pain. am i alone in this?

so does that plastic polish work? got a link? need to try anything at this point.
Not to get too far off the original topic, but here is a DIY thread I had created a while back to help others with cleaning and restoring that rear decklid appliqué. The method can be applied to any S550.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/

——

Thanks for all the replies fellas - so it’s confirmed the Shelby rear panel is same material as all other S550’s. It’s just so damn strange how that panel wrinkled instead of shattering into pieces.
Sponsored

DBL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
For what it’s worth, the back of my panel says S550 Cobra Decklis Appliqué Assy. It’s a 2 piece assembly epoxied together. While somewhat flexible standalone, it’s pretty rigid when in place...so I agree it’s strange it just didn’t shatter.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
What polish are you using?
I did not have success with auto branded cleaner waxes or polish on this panel. I found Novus #2 does the job......but any wiping of this panel returns the fine swirls and scratches, so I use Novus 2 when I clean the car. The rear of this car is dirty after one drive so I avoid 'dusting' the rear as the dust alone seems to scratch this panel. My last try I used Novus #2 and then sealed with Mothers CMX. Seems to be holding up better now.

What is your process for applying and removal ?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
And a side note when I had my Shelbys one had the panel develop some hairline cracks beside the Cobra emblem and I had the panel replaced under warranty (you can't replace just the emblem or panel the emblem is spot melted onto it) and they told me if I would have had to pay for it its little over 900 bucks.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
1 year bump...closest thread I could find about the rear black panel.

I know I talked about it with someone before but I cant find it.

Anyway, on my 16R, one side stuck out a hair more than the other. On my 20, the whole panel (at the bottom edges) sticks out more than the tail lights. I know someone was saying they would be adjusting their tail lights to see if they could even it up but I haven't found it again.

When you look at mine from the side, the black panel makes it look like the trunk is open...but the sheetmetal all lines up.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
1 year bump...closest thread I could find about the rear black panel.

I know I talked about it with someone before but I cant find it.

Anyway, on my 16R, one side stuck out a hair more than the other. On my 20, the whole panel (at the bottom edges) sticks out more than the tail lights. I know someone was saying they would be adjusting their tail lights to see if they could even it up but I haven't found it again.

When you look at mine from the side, the black panel makes it look like the trunk is open...but the sheetmetal all lines up.
Check the bolts at the bottom corners of the decklid. They are behind some rubberized covers.also check to see if they bottom is flush with the sheet metal along the edge (open the trunk lid, look from below - this will well you if plastic decklid was installed properly, basically it has some plastic hooks that need to be slid it when put on). If all this checks out then your taillights are likely the problem.

Mine was totally warped where the camera hole is. I got a new one under warranty.
Sponsored