Sponsored

Question about the rear decklid panel on a Shelby

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Was looking around online and came across photos of this wrecked GT350.

What I found interesting was that looking at the pics of the rear crash damage, the black rear decklid panel is tweaked, crushed and wrinkled as if it’s not the common ABS black plastic found on the S550. I expected to see a broken, shattered and cracked panel, as opposed to seeing how this one is damaged.

Link to pics:
https://poctra.com/2018-FORD-MUSTANG-SHELBY-GT350/id-B9vn2keNS6i1VyW4/EAST-BAY-CA/Photos

Is the GT350 panel not plastic like other S550’s? Or maybe that one just looks to be metal the way it absorbed the impact?? I mean, even looking at the area around the backup cam, the material seems to be wrinkled like sheet metal...
Sponsored

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm....interesting! I thought it was plastic as well. When I had my 2018 GT, I had to replace the back lid due to a significant scratch. The new panel I bought was definitely plastic.

On another note...how much did that suck that whomever owned the car in the pic was wrecked with only 153.5 miles on the odo?

Tim

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
It’s exactly the same as all the others, save the badge.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
You make a good point about the "crushed and wrinkled" plastic. It definitely looks bent.
I would hazard to guess that it is a malleable plastic which followed the crushed curvature of the metal deck lid.
I checked my 2019, and the black piece is also non-metallic. Oddly enough, while I was checking, I discovered that both my hood and fenders are aluminium.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You make a good point about the "crushed and wrinkled" plastic. It definitely looks bent.
I would hazard to guess that it is a malleable plastic which followed the crushed curvature of the metal deck lid.
I checked my 2019, and the black piece is also non-metallic. Oddly enough, while I was checking, I discovered that both my hood and fenders are aluminium.

Yes, I’ve worked with that type of plastic before and usually - in most instances - if that plastic is even slightly tweaked the wrong way, it instantly cracks, shatters or pieces would break away.

That’s why when looking at the pics - I was not sure if that panel is different on the GT350 or not. With an impact that hard, I definitely would not have expected to see a wrinkled panel that conformed to the wrinkled sheet metal.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Shelby, meet pole (or tree), backward.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Wonder what cars and coffee that was.
That would have to be one stout person to cause that level of damage. We all know that people are the only things hit when Mustangs leave cars and coffee :giggle:

Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Whatever plastic, or poly material it is, it scratches if you look at it too hard. I have been using plastic polish to remove the superficial scratches that appear from regular cleaning. I assume it is a soft pliable material that permitted that result in the wreck.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever plastic, or poly material it is, it scratches if you look at it too hard. I have been using plastic polish to remove the superficial scratches that appear from regular cleaning. I assume it is a soft pliable material that permitted that result in the wreck.
i've been having a heck of a time trying to clean this plastic panel up. it's got light swirls and stuff on it that i cant seem to remove. tried meguiars stuff and griot's and i just cannot clean it up to my liking. it's such a pain. am i alone in this?

so does that plastic polish work? got a link? need to try anything at this point.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I did not have success with auto branded cleaner waxes or polish on this panel. I found Novus #2 does the job......but any wiping of this panel returns the fine swirls and scratches, so I use Novus 2 when I clean the car. The rear of this car is dirty after one drive so I avoid 'dusting' the rear as the dust alone seems to scratch this panel. My last try I used Novus #2 and then sealed with Mothers CMX. Seems to be holding up better now.

DBL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Definitely plastic. Mine was scratched during transport and dealer had to replace it. Dealer gave me the scratches one so I could pull the badge off.

Upside, I picked up my 2020 GT350 last night!
Sponsored