• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Question about mismatched offsets

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I have a full sized spare that is 0.5mm (43) different from the wheels on the car (42.5). Let’s say my wheel god wrecked.. could i use the spare as a permanent swap? Would that .5 difference (42.5 on one side and 43 on the other) do any damage in the long term (diff, tire wear, handling etc)?
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Why would you use a spare permanently? The entire point of a spare is to get you home or to the shop where you can have the issue addressed, not run it for 30K miles with the rest of the tires until they all wear out.

OP
OP

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Why would you use a spare permanently? The entire point of a spare is to get you home or to the shop where you can have the issue addressed, not run it for 30K miles with the rest of the tires until they all wear out.
I’m just curious. Since it’s a full sized regular wheel/tire.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I’m just curious. Since it’s a full sized regular wheel/tire.
If everything else between the "spare" and the other three is exactly the same and the only difference is a half a MM offset, then I doubt there would be an issue running it long term due to the offset difference.

Personally, I would never do that long term. You'll end up running three tires with the same amoutn of wear and a fourth tire with little or no wear. That means uneven height between the tires.

Exact same tire (brand, model, size, etc.)? If not, that's more issues.

I guess I'm just the kind of person who likes to get things fixed right and not have to worry about it.

OP
OP

Glossox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
If everything else between the "spare" and the other three is exactly the same and the only difference is a half a MM offset, then I doubt there would be an issue running it long term due to the offset difference.

Personally, I would never do that long term. You'll end up running three tires with the same amoutn of wear and a fourth tire with little or no wear. That means uneven height between the tires.

Exact same tire (brand, model, size, etc.)? If not, that's more issues.

I guess I'm just the kind of person who likes to get things fixed right and not have to worry about it.
I hear ya. I wanted a “spare” that j could at least drive a decent distance since I’m about to go on a loooong trip, didn’t have a spare and didn’t want to be stuck on a highway somewhere doing 50mph. Couldn’t find any 42.5 except for actual factor wheels which were 400-500$ online and $800 from the dealership. I figured 43 was close enough for a spare. I’ll never use it long term., was just curious as to how much difference .5mm makes.
Sponsored