Question about Gen 2 and Gen 3 camshafts

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Long story short, I may be buying a '17 Mustang GT. My friend has a '18 GT with Comp NSR cams in it and he is going to be removing them now that he is going twin turbo.
He said I could have the Comp cams simply for helping him with the Hellion install.
So my question is, aside from the hpfp lobe on the Gen 3 cams, can they be used in a Gen 2 Coyote? He said if the fuel pump lobe was an issue he could remove it at his dad's CNC shop on a lathe.
Thanks
Ken
Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Short answer, no. The exhaust phaser is completely different and the the valve train geometry is based on the Voodoo motor. You'd be better off just selling them if he ends up giving them to you.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did your friend state why he is taking them out? I mean id take the cams if given to me too but no reason to take the cams out even going with turbos. Lunds 1300+hp Blue Goose is running NA cams, it will be fine with the turbos.

OP
OP

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Did your friend state why he is taking them out? I mean id take the cams if given to me too but no reason to take the cams out even going with turbos. Lunds 1300+hp Blue Goose is running NA cams, it will be fine with the turbos.
I have no idea what his thought process is. I asked him the same thing and he seems to think stock cams will work better for him. I tried to talk him into leaving them in and seeing how the Hellion street sleeper reacts with them and he wants to swap now while he is putting in a built shortblock.

If that's what he wants to do then I'll take them and start looking at the 18+ GTs again like I was originally planning to do. Hopefully the front bumper cover grows on me the more I look at them! :)

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
If that's what he wants to do then I'll take them and start looking at the 18+ GTs again like I was originally planning to do. Hopefully the front bumper cover grows on me the more I look at them! :)
[/QUOTE]

+1

Gen 3 coyotes really rock. If it helps, the 15 - 17 cars have the prettier mug but the 18+ cars have the hood and lights dropped one inch for increased aerodynamics (like the GT350).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
I believe he is referring to the hood being lower profile on the 18+ verses the 15-17. Which it is, the 18+ headlights also help with the lower profile front end. The GT350 is also lower profile, more so than the 18+ cars and way more than the 15-17 cars despite the headlights beIN the same on the 350 as the 15-17.
He as I see it was just making a comparison about the lower profile hood which is a big plus in the 18+ Mustangs. Even though I like the 15-17 front bumper, I have always thought the hood looked way to bulky and high! My fiancee has a 15 v6 and the hood to me is just way to tall!
Sponsored