Sponsored

Question About Drop In High Flow Air Filters & Cold Air Kits

Nach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost Premium
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by to read and/or chime in.

My first question I have is: Do high flow drop in replacement air filters benefit from a tune? Is there a technical reason to choose these over a CAI kit?

Lastly: Which CAI kits would be the most effective to add to an Ecoboost that both keeps temps down and provides the turbo and engine with the best possible performance results?
Sponsored

b00sted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
All aftermarket CAI will provide similar results. The factory airbox being sealed will provide slightly lower air intake temps in traffic. I personally went with the JLT. It fit my budget and Im a fan of JLT.

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Hi Nach, I've read pretty much must of the sticky thread on this as well as thoughts from tuners on the board.

Pretty much everyone feels the CAI is the last mod for performance. No one has compared the drop in to a CAI so I'm not quite sure, but with the logic that it is the least performance gain bolt on it probably be small between the drop in and CAI.

If you like one for looks and the sound, that is another question. If you're looking for performance, there are other bolt ons ahead of this one.

But hey, this is Mustang! Have fun and do what meets your goals/wants from the car...

rl16v6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Black EB Premium, 2008 Shelby GT500
Nach,

I went with the AEM dry drop in filter and AirAid Intake Tube on my EcoBoost. It feels like it pulls harder, but only a Dyno could tell how much HP was gained. It definitely is not as loud as some of the other CAI's because of the stock air box. Inlet air temperature stays within about 1 or 2 degrees of ambient temp.

Definitely get an oil catch can with your EB!

OP
OP
Nach

Nach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost Premium
If you like one for looks and the sound, that is another question. If you're looking for performance, there are other bolt ons ahead of this one.

But hey, this is Mustang! Have fun and do what meets your goals/wants from the car...
Thanks for your comment, Lexman. I'm totally aware of the world of performance mods that do far more in terms of gains. I'm really just on the fence about intake and I wanted to get some feedback from the community.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nach

Nach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost Premium
Nach,

I went with the AEM dry drop in filter and AirAid Intake Tube on my EcoBoost. It feels like it pulls harder, but only a Dyno could tell how much HP was gained. It definitely is not as loud as some of the other CAI's because of the stock air box. Inlet air temperature stays within about 1 or 2 degrees of ambient temp.

Definitely get an oil catch can with your EB!
If you ever DO hop on a dyno, please let me know if you can determine if the drop in shows gains over the paper filter!

Oh and I already have a catch can installed. I started up my build thread here too. Check it out here! I should probably add this to my sig while I'm at it.

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for your comment, Lexman. I'm totally aware of the world of performance mods that do far more in terms of gains. I'm really just on the fence about intake and I wanted to get some feedback from the community.
Well, I am on the other side. Total noob but trying to learn as much as I can.:D

I personally like the looks of the JLT and Mishimoto. Not sure if i want anything obnoxious though.

Also like you, not sure of the difference between a filter. I know Adam recommends a 3" tube I believe for optimal balance in HP/TQ. But if you decide to tune your car, it can be adjusted to the CAI.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I went with http://afepower.com/ dry filter. Not all CAI are California standards. I went with this one after a lot of research. I didn't want to go with oiled filter as I have read about some problems with MAP sensors. I felt like got better pull, but have not put it on a dyno or anything.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Was told that a drop in air filter performs just as well as an aftermarket CAI. I got the MMR one when they had a sale. Sounds great and looks much better then the stock airbox. I had a Green drop in air filter before that and that worked just fine as well. So it really depends if you wanna spend the money on it or not. My intake was my 4th mod after my tune, intercooler and downpipe.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
I also went with the AEM dry filter and Airaid inlet tube. I just used an old school formula to determine the amount of air needed for the amount of boost I am using up to 6500 RPM with the displacement of the engine. So, the factory size was good enough for my application.
I have not had the car tuned yet. It will be around July when I get all the parts I want installed. Good Luck...

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
I'm running Unleashed 93 tune. I put in a green drop in filter, data logged it, and Torrie revised my tune. So while you don't need a tune to benefit, these tuners can tweak for them so you get more out of it.
Sponsored