Sponsored

quarter mile times

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
So I guess its safe to say the automatic's are faster then the 6 speeds right? Just from reviewing peoples quarter mile times, it looks like the auto have the sticks beat. Why is that? PP I would think would b faster. 3:73 and launch control, why is it still slower then the auto?
Sponsored

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
So I guess its safe to say the automatic's are faster then the 6 speeds right? Just from reviewing peoples quarter mile times, it looks like the auto have the sticks beat. Why is that? PP I would think would b faster. 3:73 and launch control, why is it still slower then the auto?
quickness between shifts, shit points, not missing gears, and the launch plays a big role as well. Most people dont know how to launch the car and will rev it up too high then dump the clutch with the gas mashed. With the auto you only have to worry about 1 pedal. Computer vs Human basically

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
For the majority of people an auto is faster bacause the majority of people can't drive a stick. A stick actually takes some skill. Personally, I will never have a sports car in auto. Plus, I have never taught my wife how to drive a 6 speed. I don't have to worry about her driving my cars.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Auto's 99.99% of the time are faster due to a number of reasons...

Torque multiplication from the TC and trans gearing

No missed shifts

Better able to concentrate on launches

There is a continued delusion amongst the manual faithful/true believers that a well driven manual will outperform a modern automatic on a drag strip. It's not true at all, it's getting to the point where some transmissions shift right around 225-250 milliseconds, which is faster than a human's nerves can even transmit a "shift now" command to their limbs.

Right now the only reason to buy an automatic is personal preference and if it enhances a persons individual driving experience. When it comes to drag racing and being competitive manuals are totally obsolete.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4

No missed shifts

There is a continued delusion amongst the manual faithful/true believers that a well driven manual will outperform a modern automatic on a drag strip. It's not true at all, it's getting to the point where some transmissions shift right around 225-250 milliseconds, which is faster than a human's nerves can even transmit a "shift now" command to their limbs.

Right now the only reason to buy an automatic is personal preference and if it enhances a persons individual driving experience. When it comes to drag racing and being competitive manuals are totally obsolete.

99.99% ??? This is BS! If this was ture, then why would even Bama Performance choose a 6 speed with the goals that they had. 9.91 in the 1/4 with a 6 speed. Lol, OK...you are right...the autos are faster:crazy:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
99.99% ??? This is BS! If this was ture, then why would even Bama Performance choose a 6 speed with the goals that they had. 9.91 in the 1/4 with a 6 speed. Lol, OK...you are right...the autos are faster:crazy:
I can pretty much assure you that had those same modifications been done to an automatic the car would have been faster.

In real, competitive drag racing automatics are the transmission of choice. Some classes are restricted to gear-bangers only, but truly fast cars in Pro/SuperPro classes are automatics. Usually variants of the Ford C4, GM PG or TH350/400 and the TorqueFlite A727 and 904.

You can get mad about it and call me wrong, but spend some time at any real drag racing event, look at what transmission people are running, and get back to me.

15COPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GTPP/2015 DIB Mustang GT

No missed shifts

Only one way to find out if the manual trans is obsolete. Side by Side. Never had a problem on the street out running an automatic car :D

15COPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Mark my words on this...

An auto 3.55 with weight reduction (3,650ish lbs with driver), LT's, exhaust, intake and tune on DR's with lighter wheels will be an absolute rocket.

11.60's @ 120 is my guess in good air.
Same goes for a 6sp manual. Except 150 shot of n2o and it will be way faster than that.

Sponsored

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
any one who argues manuals are faster is a total retard.. im just going to leave it at that.. and a perfect example of this is the comparison of the viper and the SLS AMG. the viper has more power and less weight.. but why does the AMG win?? because it has an incredible 7 speed auto.

[ame]

15COPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
any one who argues manuals are faster is a total retard.. im just going to leave it at that.. and a perfect example of this is the comparison of the viper and the SLS AMG. the viper has more power and less weight.. but why does the AMG win?? because it has an incredible 7 speed auto.

LOL! Still comes down to the driver with a manual trans. Everyone drives different.

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Manuals can be a lot faster in low-torque cars. I'm thinking of pretty much anything Honda. If you're spending 25% of your available torque to drive a pump...the manual's gonna be faster.

With the V6 accords, acura CL, TL vehicles, the manual would be a second faster...0-60!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Modern automatics are faster than manuals for straight line acceleration from a stop (the exception may be for low power cars, as limequat mentioned). They have better launch capabilities, faster shifts, and sometimes more available gears so the engine is making a higher average power.

For a roll races (especially high speed ones), the launch advantage goes out the window and the efficiency advantage of a manual may help compensate for the shift speed advantage of the automatic (there are far fewer shifts in these types of races). Gearing will play a part here as well, especially when speeds are high and the cars spend a long time in a single gear.

On a road course the DCT is the best for speed because it shifts the fastest, doesn't over heat, and lets the driver focus on all other aspects of being fast (smooth inputs, following the correct line, etc). A manual is probably the most exciting, and a Torque Converter auto can be fast but is more prone to overheating.

One is not necessarily inherently better than another. Pick the one that excites you the most.

I will personally always choose the manual over the automatic (whether TC or DCT) simply for the added interaction.

-T

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Only one way to find out if the manual trans is obsolete. Side by Side. Never had a problem on the street out running an automatic car :D
I've never had a problem on the strip taking down the manuals even ones that on paper should have beat me with a HP advantage. :D :D :D
Sponsored