NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
Hey Everyone,

So I hear that you get more WHP because of the reduction in mass, but I can't find any actual Dyno results. Anyone know anything or can point me in the correct direction on what to expect?

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
No, you wouldn't get more WHP. The reduced mass would have an extremely slight effect on acceleration since it take less energy to get it spinning, but it's not changing the power output of the engine.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
No, you wouldn't get more WHP. The reduced mass would have an extremely slight effect on acceleration since it take less energy to get it spinning, but it's not changing the power output of the engine.
You should have more whp because of the reduction in drivetrain lose. One of the local guys dyno'd like 515hp with headers, exhaust, e85 and I believe the QA1 drive shaft. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees the post. I think he did multiple mods at once so he may not have exact numbers on the driveshaft alone.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You should have more whp because of the reduction in drivetrain lose.
Switching to a carbon fiber drive shaft doesn't change "drivetrain loss". Drivetrain losses are due to friction. Unless there's a reduction in friction, there's no change in WHP. Switching to a carbon fiber drive shaft doesn't alter any friction in the drivetrain.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Switching to a carbon fiber drive shaft doesn't change "drivetrain loss". Drivetrain losses are due to friction. Unless there's a reduction in friction, there's no change in WHP. Switching to a carbon fiber drive shaft doesn't alter any friction in the drivetrain.
Your reducing rotating mass in the drivetrain. Which will allow the car to more power to the ground.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes, a lightweight driveshaft would reduce rotational mass which frees up wheel horsepower. How much hp depends on the application.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Your reducing rotating mass in the drivetrain. Which will allow the car to more power to the ground.
That's about inertia, It doesn't change the amount of power being generated by the engine, transmitted through the driveshaft, and getting to the ground/tires.

I promise you, a CF driveshaft does not increase WHP. To do that you either have to increase engine HP or reduce drivetrain friction.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yes, a lightweight driveshaft would reduce rotational mass which frees up wheel horsepower. How much hp depends on the application.
If that were true, then every manufacturer would have been using CF driveshafts for decades, because if you "free up" wheel horsepower, you would also be increasing MPGs and lowering emissions. Every vehicle would have them automatically.

It's the same as switch to CF wheels, lighter fly-wheels, etc. Reducing the mass to be rotated has benefits, but it does not change the amount of WHP.

Please understand, I'm not saying there's no benefits, as a CF DS probably does help increase acceleration a little. But that's not because the power getting to the wheels is increased. Just that the power is being used more efficiently due to less mass to be rotated, spinning the DS easier and faster. None of that changes the HP being made by the engine or getting to the tires.

There might be very tiny gains low under the curve, at lower RPM. but MAX HP will remain unchanged.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
https://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

"If we make a driveshaft lighter and keep everything else the same, the vehicle acceleration change is often insignificant.
Despite what we are told, a change in driveshaft weight has, at best, a very small effect on acceleration. Likely any change is immeasurable in a street/strip car."
Sponsored

Last edited: