QA1 carbon SFI driveshaft vibrations 10r80

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
Am I the the only one that has bad vibrations with the QA1 10r80 carbon SFI driveshaft. After about 55mph mines vibrating pretty bad. Seems like I just pissed away $1700. Installed per instructions torque correctly and all the lines colors match up.

If I was to rotate it, I assume I need to remove the shaft then flange . Reclock the flange 180 to rear end then install the shaft with all the lines matching??
Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
I had this driveshaft on my 2020 10r80 and will put it on my 2022 now. I love it and think its a great piece. Based on my experience:

- There's defintely risk, if not some likelihood of some vibration moving to a one-piece driveshaft from OEM two-iece, even with the best like this QA1. I had some mild vibration, mostly beginning at about 70mph that I worked through.
- I think the driveshaft angles are mostly to blame which is masked or effectively eliminated by the two-piece OEM design
- Usually driveshaft balance tweaks are focused on the rear. I played with clocking on both ends and got some improvement. I'm fairly convinced QA1 knows what they're doing and this results is completely due to the balance of the items Im connecting to, NOT the driveshaft
- I actually got meaningful improvement from two adjustments : The 'hose clamp' weight adjustment on the front side. And shimming down the transmission crossmember. This comes up in driveshfaft threads - it improves the driveshaft angle. With the angle, in almost every application you have a downard sloping driveshaft. Vibration issues are at a minimum when the angle at the trans output and at the rear end flange are equal and opposite.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
As mentioned above, first thing I would do is try reclocking it 180*. Our QA1 has been silky smooth up to 160+ without any complaints. We have full steeda hardcore braces on the rear diff also so if there was any, we'd notice it lol

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
There is no pinion angle to be set on an s550. That combined with horribly set up differentials. Almost no car is perfect and some are worse than others.

unless it is just balanced really bad. It’s not a driveshaft issue itself. It’s the inability to be set up perfect

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My buds QA1 was out of true by .022". They said it was normal.... It shook the whole car and took out his pinion bearing. He went back to the stock driveshaft and returned the QA1.

IMO, stay away from one piece driveshafts until they truly fix the common NVM issues........

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
My buds QA1 was out of true by .022". They said it was normal....
.022” is a huge number IMO.
The MFG. stating that’s normal tells me their ears heard .002” or possibly .0022”.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
.022” is a huge number IMO.
The MFG. stating that’s normal tells me their ears heard .002” or possibly .0022”.
He saved the conversation he had with them. He checked it and did everything he could to make it better. Then finally they refunded him and took it back after telling him .020’ish wasn’t out of the normal sometimes.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
He saved the conversation he had with them. He checked it and did everything he could to make it better. Then finally they refunded him and took it back after telling him .020’ish wasn’t out of the normal sometimes.
YIKES