Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not technical enough to answer that one for ya' :)

From experience, I haven't seen a modern tire flat spot, though. I don't think you need to worry about that. But if you want to be extra careful, could also get something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-FS-Flatstopper-Pack/dp/B003ZAGJAM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=322WIETX4ELAJ&dchild=1&keywords=flatstoppers+car+storage+ramps&qid=1603381917&sprefix=flatstopper,aps,181&sr=8-2
Kevin, was more thinking about temps. Does it hurt the tire to let it get super cold. I mean not below freezing as the garage is not headed however its isolated. However it gets negative 30 in Wisconsin. When people talk about heat cycles in the tires I was also thinking letting them get super cold does not help. Thoughts?

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
Get some race ramp flat stoppers. That's your best solution. You don't want to leave your suspension components uncompressed for too long.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Kevin, was more thinking about temps. Does it hurt the tire to let it get super cold. I mean not below freezing as the garage is not headed however its isolated. However it gets negative 30 in Wisconsin. When people talk about heat cycles in the tires I was also thinking letting them get super cold does not help. Thoughts?
There's a resource available that's even better than this forum - call Michelin's 800 number and ask them. They can tell you whether the tires will be ok or not.

Personally, I'd put a set of cold-capable tires on - I have all-seasons I use - and store the summers in a place with enough heat to keep them from freezing.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I was having the same concern. I call Michelin and if the tires get below 14 degrees F they are shot (throw away, do not use). I didn't want to deal with putting it on jack stand and storing the tires, so I swapped them for A/S3+. (OE Tires were 75% to 80% worn at 3k miles with no track days believe it or not). So far I haven't noticed any shortfalls from the A/S3+ for public road use (still don't hit the limits in the dry, WAY better traction in the cold and/or wet, and improved MPG!).

Edit: Also from Michelin - if they get to or below freezing, but above 14 degrees, they need to warm to at least 70 degrees for over 24 hours before they can be used.

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I'm not technical enough to answer that one for ya' :)

From experience, I haven't seen a modern tire flat spot, though. I don't think you need to worry about that. But if you want to be extra careful, could also get something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-FS-Flatstopper-Pack/dp/B003ZAGJAM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=322WIETX4ELAJ&dchild=1&keywords=flatstoppers+car+storage+ramps&qid=1603381917&sprefix=flatstopper,aps,181&sr=8-2
Last winter I used the low profile drive-onto flatstopper race ramps and the SC2's remained round as new - first test of spring after 4-5 months in storage they were absolutely perfect.....HOWEVER that was in a heated to nominally 50F garage....this year not as lucky , no room at the inn (friends vette collection grew) and my build of a new garage project totally #$&%ed by covid impact job furlough then loss....still trying to figure out what to do - storage anywhere nearby is so damned expensive @$400+/mo. Tires only have 900 miles on them and not thrilled at spending on A/S3+'s or 4's etc when feeling a bit beat up financially. Aftermarket car cover was great except for wind - acts like a vacuum pulling grit up even to coat to the painted black roof where it then gets slapped by the wind. Hating 2020....though today is sunny & warm....time for a spirited drive out to some remote dairy stand for a burger & ice cream - worry about the rest after new work for hire job start 11/2.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I was having the same concern. I call Michelin and if the tires get below 14 degrees F they are shot (throw away, do not use). I didn't want to deal with putting it on jack stand and storing the tires, so I swapped them for A/S3+. (OE Tires were 75% to 80% worn at 3k miles with no track days believe it or not). So far I haven't noticed any shortfalls from the A/S3+ for public road use (still don't hit the limits in the dry, WAY better traction in the cold and/or wet, and improved MPG!).

Edit: Also from Michelin - if they get to or below freezing, but above 14 degrees, they need to warm to at least 70 degrees for over 24 hours before they can be used.
That seems a bit extreme. Was this specifically for the Cup2s? Did they give a reason why this is the case?

I've most definitely had mine get that cold.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
That seems a bit extreme. Was this specifically for the Cup2s? Did they give a reason why this is the case?

I've most definitely had mine get that cold.
It was for the Cup2s and it has to do with the compound. Different warning on their site for those so I asked the question. (and yes it applies to the ford specific version for the GT350 too). If you search around GM has a lot of issues with new corvettes on Cup2s that got cold in shipping and cracked before they even got to the dealers I had PSS and PS4S tires on my 2011 GT500 and stored it for the winter on those without any issues.

Gray Area GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
I use the tall RaceRamp blocks. Inflate the tires to 40psi for the long winter. No flat spots and the blocks are tall enough to roll under it on a creeper and admire the chassis not to mention cleaning the details. My garage is typically around 40F and occasionally dips to 20 during the arctic blast when I have the heater turned off.

IMG_4148.jpg

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I’ve been storing multiple vehicles for many years and never have them on jack-stands. Not good for the suspension

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I’ve been storing multiple vehicles for many years and never have them on jack-stands. Not good for the suspension
Pretty sure earlier he said its to remove & store the SC2 tires to climate controlled storage.
I assume its not for any other reason as I have the same problem. We sometimes go subzero here in New England.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Brad...are those the 12”? How did you get those under the wheels?

Had my car up with a QuickJack (which is already higher than anything I’ve ever achieved with a Jack/stands) and measured under the wheel specifically for this. Looked like 8” would be all I could fit unless I do something different.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Gm had a problem with the tires cracking when moved in cold temperature. The cold wasn’t the problem. It was moving in the cold.

I think the 14F limit is garbage. These tires are shipped in the winter time. If that was the case Michelin would have to design some system to make sure the tires never reached below the threshold. Semi trucks are not heated and get very cold at night. Think of the liability.
I'm not tire engineer but I've hung out with some at Indy so here's a thought: Compounds outgas & weep - what could be a grace period could change over time as the compound ages unlike a fine wine it gets worse.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Ok let me ask you this.. more damage to the tires to leave them on the car over the winter or more damage to the suspension by putting the car up.
Its doesn't have to be either or does it? Spit-balling: With some added planing as you let down each side you could prop the suspension with lower set jack stands or use the lower ~4" blocks or wheel cradles like the "display & show" ones Raceramps.com or similar sells. If you did it with jack stands buy better ones than what you showed for carrying the full chassis weight (those you showed look cheap AF - I like 4 point gusseted aluminum heavy duty ones with cast rack posts - better yet with also those 3rd party wider no move bases to set them in) & use the ones you already bought to prop the suspension rather than letting gravity hang it to an extreme extension (sag). Put thick leather or similar between suspension stands, or buy the jack stand rubber contact caps, to not mar up anything not carrying the full load of the car.
But that's a lot of fussing around when a 2nd set of all seasons solves all of this & saves the SC2's for summer or more spirited times. That's the ideal plan for a valuable car like this.
I wish the spare doughnuts were cheaper as yet a 3rd option because a set of 4 of those as silly as it would look would be a nice lower cost buck to support the chassis off season and make it roll-able.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Going to look into some winter wheels and tires.If I can get a shit set for like 5-800 I will go that route. Otherwise its going to be race ramps and prey the garage keeps it above 20 during the winter.
Sponsored