Putting gas from a gas can in 19 gt

Juiced35th

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Luke
Vehicle(s)
19 PP GT
I only have one good E85 station near my house so I decided to try and put gas in my car the other day from a gas can at the track and can't seem to find a nozzle that goes inside the the gas mechanism on my 19 gt. Spilled gas all down the side of my car. Anyone that has successfully put gas in their 18 or 19 Mustang with a gas can please point me in the right direction.
Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
The piece that allows you to use a gas can should be in the trunk under the lining where the spare tire is. Its typically a little tube piece, yellow in color.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Did you use the little funnel that's in the trunk? for some reason, all newer cars are coming with this little funnel, usually where the spare is. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what is was for, until I tried to use gas from a gas can. I had the same experience as you. Gas everywhere but in the tank. Finally figured out that the little white tube (doesn't really look like a funnel), is in case you need to use a gas can. And voila, no more problems!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Like others said use the one that comes in the truck under the liner or buy the capless gas funnel from your auto parts store. I made that mistake the first time I tried to use e85r from a can.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Use a transmission funnel with a wide opening. Works like a charm. You’ll be all day trying to use the little yellow one. That comes with the car. And you’ll spill half the jug on your shoes.
4288FAC6-0151-4F6D-9689-A28E46A3CB1D.jpeg

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I only have one good E85 station near my house so I decided to try and put gas in my car the other day from a gas can at the track and can't seem to find a nozzle that goes inside the the gas mechanism on my 19 gt. Spilled gas all down the side of my car. Anyone that has successfully put gas in their 18 or 19 Mustang with a gas can please point me in the right direction.
Use a funnel it just has 2 fuel doors. U can also use a flathead screw driver

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Use a transmission funnel with a wide opening. Works like a charm. You’ll be all day trying to use the little yellow one. That comes with the car. And you’ll spill half the jug on your shoes.
4288FAC6-0151-4F6D-9689-A28E46A3CB1D.jpeg
Those "no-spill" gas cans are an abomination. For one, they don't have a vent, so they glug and take forever to empty. Then the pour spout is usually rigid and requires you to activate it in a certain way.

I don't buy any expensive gas cans, I just buy the standard plastic cans you see in the store, but I replace the pour spout with a flexible spout and drill a hole in the can for a vent. Basically this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Products-Flexible-Universal-Accessories/dp/B07QQKMNP9/

There's a ton of products out there that do the same thing, just search for gas can spout on amazon. Completely solves all my problems I've ever had with gas cans.

To answer OPs question, the tank funnel looks like this:
311L1IqbMeL.jpg

Mine was white, but it's the same thing. It's in the spare tire compartment in the front (close to you when you open the trunk). I also bought a spare and leave it with my gas can jugs so I don't have to pull the thing out of the car all the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S66BUAE

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Does the 16's come with this little gas thing asking for a friend

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Those "no-spill" gas cans are an abomination. For one, they don't have a vent, so they glug and take forever to empty. Then the pour spout is usually rigid and requires you to activate it in a certain way.

I don't buy any expensive gas cans, I just buy the standard plastic cans you see in the store, but I replace the pour spout with a flexible spout and drill a hole in the can for a vent. Basically this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Products-Flexible-Universal-Accessories/dp/B07QQKMNP9/

There's a ton of products out there that do the same thing, just search for gas can spout on amazon. Completely solves all my problems I've ever had with gas cans.

311L1IqbMeL.jpg

Mine was white, but it's the same thing. It's in the spare tire compartment in the front (close to you when you open the trunk). I also bought a spare and leave it with my gas can jugs so I don't have to pull the thing out of the car all the time.
Yea the new gas cans are a pain in the ass. I just unscrew the cap all together. Set it to the side. And let it rip. I also punch out the anti slosh mesh at the neck of the can. So it'll pour faster.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
I'm using an old Blitz 5gal can like this one, I cut the little hook piece off and filed the writing down flat and it works without leaking.

I've also modified one of the Commiefornia spill proof types,, It works but leaks. It's also made by Blitz with the green plastic safety lock.

s-l1600.jpg

I also modify all my non-vented cans by installing a chrome valve stem as a vent like this one. Fuel flows a heck of a lot faster when they're vented.
Valve stem as a vent ......

urself-a-perfectly-good-vent-leave-the-cap-a-tad-bit-loose-while-storing-to-prevent-the-pressure.jpg

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase

311L1IqbMeL.jpg

I just used a few of these ideas successfully at the track this past weekend. I bought a brand new 5 gallon Midwest gas jug and the same flexible spout kit off Amazon. I threw the original cap in the garbage. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the top back side of can at the highest possible flat surface and installed the included plastic vent. Filled the can with E85 and drove 115 miles to the track with no leaking, no smells, etc. I used the small funnel included with the car, pointed the flexible spout as deep as it would go into the funnel, tipped the can to start gas flow, and then flipped the vent open and let it rip. Took maybe less than a minute to dump the entire 5 gallons into my tank without spilling one drop!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
the OEM one in the trunk sucks. everytime I use it to put fuel stabilizer in the tank b4 storage it spills all over the side of my rear quarter panel :(

Going to buy that trans fluid funnel bluebeastsrt mentioned. The the OEM one was just a few inches longer we wouldn't be in this mess.
Sponsored