Purchasing new GT350 out of state and registering in CA

bkrupp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT350
It is up to the dealer how much work/paperwork they want to do. My dealer in Idaho found the CA sales tax for my county and added it to the price of the car, like others above me had happen. Then they filled out the CA DMV registration form, even though they have not done many/any of the CA paperwork before. But if they are good/nice, it is their job to do this.

I haven't heard of me needing to get the car inspected yet or anything but that paperwork could still be on its way.

Also, MSRP is ok, better than any dealer in CA will sell a GT350 for. But if you buy out of state and in that red color you can find a better deal than MSRP.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
It is up to the dealer how much work/paperwork they want to do. My dealer in Idaho found the CA sales tax for my county and added it to the price of the car, like others above me had happen. Then they filled out the CA DMV registration form, even though they have not done many/any of the CA paperwork before. But if they are good/nice, it is their job to do this.

I haven't heard of me needing to get the car inspected yet or anything but that paperwork could still be on its way.

Also, MSRP is ok, better than any dealer in CA will sell a GT350 for. But if you buy out of state and in that red color you can find a better deal than MSRP.
Thanks. That makes sense how the out of state tax works. You think I can find better than MSRP on an 18 year model?

bkrupp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That makes sense how the out of state tax works. You think I can find better than MSRP on an 18 year model?
I was going to buy this when they had it marked down to $57k, but NEEDED magnetic instead of red. They probably recently got an update on it, so call them and see whats up. It is close enough to CA you can fly up and drive it back, like I did mine last weekend.

https://www.sthelensfordoregon.com/new-Warren-2018-Ford-Mustang-Shelby+GT350-1FA6P8JZ7J5502743

they are super nice and friendly and should sell it at that price. They told me they would.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
When I have purchased cars from out of State, the dealer will charge me their local tax and then when I hit the DMV (Illinois, not CA) they will collect the difference in additional tax that is required to title the car in my State. I wondered how a foreign state can pay tax back to California as well. Congrats on the purchase btw!
Same for me. IL (and perhaps other states)and CA have a sales tax reciprocity agreement. There was some form I had to fill out for this when I bought mine

Either way you will pay full CA sales tax when it's all said and done

bkrupp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Same for me. IL (and perhaps other states)and CA have a sales tax reciprocity agreement. There was some form I had to fill out for this when I bought mine

Either way you will pay full CA sales tax when it's all said and done
Exactly, it just makes it REALLY handy when you maybe form a relationship with the dealer and they do it all for you. Otherwise they may just fill out their states form and leave you high and dry to get it transferred to your DMV.

Sales tax in the loan/up front cost is by far easier than having to pay for it out of pocket if you don't necessarily have $6-7k in cash handy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I was going to buy this when they had it marked down to $57k, but NEEDED magnetic instead of red. They probably recently got an update on it, so call them and see whats up. It is close enough to CA you can fly up and drive it back, like I did mine last weekend.

https://www.sthelensfordoregon.com/new-Warren-2018-Ford-Mustang-Shelby+GT350-1FA6P8JZ7J5502743

they are super nice and friendly and should sell it at that price. They told me they would.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good deal. But ide like to have the OTT stripes. And this dealer is another 500 plus miles from my home so I think ide spend the extra grand for that. But someone will surely jump on this deal soon.

bkrupp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good deal. But ide like to have the OTT stripes. And this dealer is another 500 plus miles from my home so I think ide spend the extra grand for that. But someone will surely jump on this deal soon.
Exactly, get what you want if you are spending this much. I had my OTT blue stripes taken off the car, too much for me.

But yes, you can easily find it for MSRP or under if you work it right.

Also, try to develop some sort of relationship with the dealer, that way its harder for them to say no if you offer less. But don't go overboard and drool on the car when you go there.

I hope things work out and you can drive it home!

mclaner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
how does the out of state dealer charging CA taxes work? They send money to California on my behalf somehow? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I do not see how it would work the way "5.2 L V8" claims.
TX dealer I worked with sent the taxes directly to the CA DMV along with all the required paperwork. Very easy. As other have stated you will have to do a CA smog and VIN inspection. Remember best to get at least 100 miles on the car before you smog it.

wallie40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I did the same thing, also in SD. I bought mine in NC.

I did the following:

1. Dealer figured out what it would cost in fee's and taxes(Dealer made me pay it upfront and sent me a check with the car for the taxes and fee's made out to the CA DMV).
2. Smogged the car in CA after I took delivery(All cars coming out of state need to be smogged)
3. Made an appt for inspection at the DMV, when that was done registered the car.

4. Drive away happy..

AAA cannot register a new car. I tried... Oh and make sure you have your insurance policy.

-Paul

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
You also need the MSO. Make sure the dealer gives you this certificate or your not going to be able to register your car at the dmv. You’ll also need a copy of the bill of sale, so the dmv will know how much to charge you for tax/license and etc

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Exactly, it just makes it REALLY handy when you maybe form a relationship with the dealer and they do it all for you. Otherwise they may just fill out their states form and leave you high and dry to get it transferred to your DMV.

Sales tax in the loan/up front cost is by far easier than having to pay for it out of pocket if you don't necessarily have $6-7k in cash handy.
Eh...as long as you know what is required from you it's not a big deal. My local CU wouldnt finance the car without it first being registered in CA either way, so I had to pay for it cash, register it, then took a put a lien on it.

I basically got the MSO and bill of sale showing how much IL tax I paid and that was it.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
When you have a car shipped, always have one key/fob Fed Exed to you so you have one on hand in case driver loses, damages, or his fob battery dies....

5LTR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Efren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT A10 401a 2017 Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
make sure the dealer knows the tax rate for you and the city/county you live in(go to your local dmv and find out first). When i bought my 2016 in Washington state, the dealer messed up the tax rate and shorted it almost 1 k that I got stuck paying in California, even though they threw the rest in on financing i got stuck with it outta pocket for the rest. and they said they knew what they were doing.... So go prepared with that number and it should be just fine.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
make sure the dealer knows the tax rate for you and the city/county you live in(go to your local dmv and find out first). When i bought my 2016 in Washington state, the dealer messed up the tax rate and shorted it almost 1 k that I got stuck paying in California, even though they threw the rest in on financing i got stuck with it outta pocket for the rest. and they said they knew what they were doing.... So go prepared with that number and it should be just fine.
Where did you find a deal in WA state that was better than CA? The dealers up in the PNW were terrible in 2016 when I was searching.
Sponsored