Sponsored

Pulled over for/gotten a ticket for stock GT350/R exhaust?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You were a cop? MP?
I was a civilian cop, not military cop.

OP you shouldn't have any issue, unless you are going WOT places, I cant imagine you drawing attention just driving around.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Unless you want to jack up your GT350 at the side of the road I'm not sure how a PO would be able to see your exhaust well enough to know whether or not the exhaust is stock.
The cops that mainly deal with transportation issues may/ will have a mirror on a stick they will stick under the car to have a peek. Might even be a stick camera these days.

Years ago I got a ticket for offroad H pipe in my 91 GT. I was like whatever until the guy pulled out the stick Mirror and then realized he meant business.

They've really ramped up the crack down on this kind of stuff these days in Ontario, Canada due to all the dumbass kids doing "takeovers".

They're bringing the same negative attention to the car community that the coal rollers brought to the diesel community. Fucking dumb Shits.

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
IMO, I would think they would rather take a few moments during the traffic stop to verify the exhaust rather than make a trip out to the courthouse for a hearing. A few seconds of extra work would save hours getting to and sitting in court only for the ticket to be thrown out.
Not sure if it's like this in other states, but in IL, they give you the date that you can contest it, and they are planning on being in court on that date anyway.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
The cops that mainly deal with transportation issues may/ will have a mirror on a stick they will stick under the car to have a peek. Might even be a stick camera these days.

Years ago I got a ticket for offroad H pipe in my 91 GT. I was like whatever until the guy pulled out the stick Mirror and then realized he meant business.

They've really ramped up the crack down on this kind of stuff these days in Ontario, Canada due to all the dumbass kids doing "takeovers".

They're bringing the same negative attention to the car community that the coal rollers brought to the diesel community. Fucking dumb Shits.
I dunno where you live in Ontario, but I live in Mississauga and it's nuts around here (I'm also across the street from Square One). On my street alone, every night sounds like a street race is happenin', and as much as I don't want it, I think the city should consider adding wide speed bumps on my street.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

this video sums up the new generation, they literally are all about "appearing good/movements" there peers are supporting green movements, so everyone is going with it just because its the thing to do. having fast cars that run on fuel is gross to people now, they'd rather uber/not own cars, etc.. its so weird to give up so much freedom and live like little vagrants everywhere

jump 21 is a solid movie though.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Its a 50 state compliant emissions system. If you were issued a ticket, hire a lawyer, have the car inspected to prove compliance, and show up in court. When they rule in your favor, your attorney should ask for attorney fees as well as incidentals.

I've never been hassled, but that doesn't mean you may not be.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Its a 50 state compliant emissions system. If you were issued a ticket, hire a lawyer, have the car inspected to prove compliance, and show up in court. When they rule in your favor, your attorney should ask for attorney fees as well as incidentals.

It's 50 state emissions compliant. I don't think that means it's also sound compliant.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
This sounds like a gun discussion.
Legal here but not over there kind of thing.
We have some legal minds here so I’ll ask them. How can a car with an exhaust system that was built for all states be sold/registered in municipalities where they are not legal? Maybe it’s the law playing catch up here.
This is a pretty grey area if you ask me.

OP
OP
V8 Voodoo

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
This sounds like a gun discussion.
Legal here but not over there kind of thing.
We have some legal minds here so I’ll ask them. How can a car with an exhaust system that was built for all states be sold/registered in municipalities where they are not legal? Maybe it’s the law playing catch up here.
This is a pretty grey area if you ask me.
No muffler or exhaust system on any vehicle mentioned in sub. (1) shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device nor shall there be installed in the exhaust system of any such vehicle any device to ignite exhaust gases so as to produce flame within or without the exhaust system. No person shall modify the exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

This is the Wisconsin statute.
I'm only talking about noise level. I don't do anything with emissions in my role.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
In CA, I can see how you could get a ticket since it is above the decibel limit with the valves open
Do you know what the DB limit is? Either way, the fact that it's a stock, un-modified exhaust, I think they would have a hard time giving you anything but a "warning".

My friend got a warning last week for his 500 carbon while on a mountain road. Cop said originally he was going to write a ticket but then dropped it to a warning—for driving a car with a stock exhaust—um… yah.
Was he at WOT or Speeding? I guess it depends on the cop, but I would think you should be ok unless you're WOT near one, then he could probably just get you for speeding. In general whenever I see a cop, I always just switch the valves closed to avoid unwanted attention.

Sponsored

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

It's not out of the realm of possibility that a municipality has draconian enough noise laws that would make even a stock exhaust system illegal. Highly unlikely, but possible, and easily verifiable with a db counter. That really isn't a fix-it-ticket, it isn't a moving violation either.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Do you know what the DB limit is? Either way, the fact that it's a stock, un-modified exhaust, I think they would have a hard time giving you anything but a "warning".

Was he at WOT or Speeding? I guess it depends on the cop, but I would think you should be ok unless you're WOT near one, then he could probably just get you for speeding. In general whenever I see a cop, I always just switch the valves closed to avoid unwanted attention.
50mph just cruising.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

95 decibel I believe. These cars in sport mode are definitely louder than that at WOT/higher RPMs

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's 50 state emissions compliant. I don't think that means it's also sound compliant.
So what you are saying is that the exhaust system installed during manufacture is illegal?

I dont buy it

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So what you are saying is that the exhaust system installed during manufacture is illegal?

I dont buy it
unless they during testing say track is only for track use? I know when I go to track mode, it shows a helmet on the dash lol
Sponsored