Sponsored

psoriatic arthritis, Doc says no more clutches!

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
For the last three years I have had pain in my left hip. And of course right at the start of the pandemic is when it started to bother me the most. But no doctor would see me unless it was an absolute emergency. Fast forward a year, the pain is now epic in my left hip. So the docs see me and diagnose me with stage 3 psoriatic arthritis in the left hip. At the moment they will only give me pain meds because apparently my BP meds aren't doing their job as my BP is 152/98! So no arthritis treatments until that is fixed. And of course my doc says I need to limit the use of my left leg, and that a manual transmission car is not ideal for me.

The Mustang which is my wife's car is an automatic. My car though, a 2001 Boxster S that has a complete race tune is a standard though :( . Getting into either the Mustang or the Boxster is not an issue, oddly enough I can still get into a low car without pain. The seats though..... ZOMG the way they hug me brings tears, and not of joy.

So now I am faced with something I thought I would never have to do.... Give up sports cars..... My entire life I have owned a sports car, always a convertible at that. I have had a Jeep once, and a Toyota 4x4 (both standards). The Mustang is the first automatic that I have ever owned.

So I need a car that is on the budget that won't disappoint, used is a must, and sadly.... Automatic is as well. I thought about a Porsche 928, there is one near me that passes smog with an auto for 6k and is faded in the body. Parts are available for them, but I hear the transmissions are slushy in them. I thought about maybe an early 70's Torino or Ranchero with a built C4..... but god they are bank right now. I used to own a 325Cic E46 BMW with a six speed. These can be had cheap with an auto.... but again... slushy. So I might be thinking of going pure trash and a retired Police Interceptor. There is one in my neighborhood that the owner has seriously built up nice.

So what does the group suggest? I don't want a truck or SUV, and it needs to have a decent auto or at least an auto that can be built without breaking the bank.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Find a good orthopedic surgeon and have that hip replaced - then you can drive whatever you want. Best wishes.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
After I broke my left ankle, which was after I converted my 69 Mach1 to standard, I could not shift as good as before. So I swapped for my GT/CS and have no regrets. It was also much safer and comfortable, so win-win.
Good luck man.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I also have arthritis, but it's in my spine. I can only drive my Mustang for about 1/2 hour before the pain in too much. Plus my right leg goes numb, which makes driving interesting. I have tried a number of cars to try to find one I could live with. It has to be a convertible, too.

I would have bought a newer Porsche 991, but prices in those are insane right now. So, after a far amount of looking, I settled on a Mercedes SL63 AMG. You can find used, low mileage examples that won't break the bank. There are several other Mercedes models that are less expensive that have the same excellent seats. Those seats are really the main thing, though.

I am waiting another month or two, seeing if prices drop a bit. I'm in no real hurry as I don't need a convertible in winter.

OP
OP
Qckslvr

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
I have spoke with my doctor about hip replacement. She feels that is extreme and we are not at that point in my life yet. Plus she really wants me to loose 30 pounds.

So I have checked a couple cars so far. The guy with the 928 is really nice, and he would trade. My Boxster for his 928. The issue is, the 928 will not pass smog as it has a check engine light. It runs fine, drives decent, needs brakes. This worries me as I don't have access to Porsche scan tools for 78.

I also looked at a 1964 Ranchero for $4500. It has a 289 with a C4 transmission and bucket seats. The body has a lot of "patina." It runs and drives, but has gremlins. It comes with a new harness, fuel tank, lots of chrome bits, and some NoS stuff as well.

The last car I looked at is a 2014 Mazda 3 5 door hatch. Have always been a fan of Mazda, having owned 8 Miatas and a Speed 3. To be honest... this is probably the most practical of the cars I have looked at LOL.

Another Mustang in the fleet would be nice.... but just isn't practical. Currently any time we need to haul stuff it goes in the Mustang.... You can fit a lot of lumber in a Mustang :p
Sponsored