PSA - I had a cracked Steeda wheel spacer

Bane022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
None
Bought wheel spacers in Nov 2020 for my 18 GT PP1. I put about 8k miles on them since. 20mm in back and 25mm in front. Found the rear right one to have a crack. Thought I would share as a PSA to others here running these. I had them torqued to around 110-120 as per CJ pony parts because I could not find a # from Steeda (ridiculous). I torque the outside lugs to 150 as per the manual.

tempImageOvXp3b.png

tempImageEIeTgH.png

tempImagenxmmII.png

tempImagecbkuUA.png
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you wheels been bottoming out on the studs ?

Any witness marks in the back of you wheels ?

WD :like:

OP
OP

Bane022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
None
Have you reached out to @Steeda Tech JohnC to show them your findings?
I am going to call tomorrow and see if they will do anything. I discovered the problem Saturday afternoon and customer service was closed. I have multiple products from Steeda and love them all so I am kind of surprised this happened. I am just thankful I caught it before anything catastrophic occurred.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
No to both. I have the stock PP1 wheels.
To me it looks like the spacer has been held tight with the original stud and hub, whilst the new studs have been pulled forward. Having the OE stud too long on the 20mm spacer setup would cause that type of fracture, if the original stud bottomed out in the wheel pocket before the wheel clamped up tight.

I’m not saying I like the idea behind those spacers, but lots of people use those them with no issues so something is different or amiss with your setup :frown:

I am sure Steeda will be along soon so I hope you get it sorted :like:

WD :like:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
had no issues with my Steeda spacers 20k, looked brand new. reach out to Steeda, they will fix it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Those aren't Steeda spacers, even if sold by Steeda.

Call up Coyote accessories, the maker of those parts.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Those spacers are the cheap spacers sold everywhere, Steeda probably just resells them.

Also - this is great example why no one should ever use bolt on spacers - there is substantial difference in a load they transfer vs. slip-on (which actually act just as spacers).

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bane022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
None
Those spacers are the cheap spacers sold everywhere, Steeda probably just resells them.

Also - this is great example why no one should ever use bolt on spacers - there is substantial difference in a load they transfer vs. slip-on (which actually act just as spacers).
You’re right. I just hate how much the wheels sit in the fender. I really just need to get a GT350 lol.

OP
OP

Bane022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you have Magneride? If so, the studs on your car are longer than normal and might still be bottoming out.
I do have magneride. I thought I confirmed that 25 in the front and 20 in the back clear the studs but I could be wrong. It’s hard to tell when they’re on the car.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
OP
OP

Bane022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
None
Are those the same as:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-wheel-spacer-555-6611#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019

Which are manufactured by Steeda.

I just took mine off after 8k miles (new wheel setup) magneride. I didn't find any issues but I'd definitely be interested in seeing the technical response on this.

Personally, I would have waited to hear back from them before making this post.
Yeah those are the same. I don’t really expect anything from steeda so I didn’t see a point in waiting. Just wanted to put it out there because I feel like I avoided a potential disaster.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
but why not give them a chance? they are still going to help you, I would of reached out first, I had an issue and they rectified it instantly, rma label and all.
Sponsored