Sponsored

PSA - Check Your Transmission Drain Plug / Lug Nuts

BTR75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (FJG)
I had read a post on Facebook recommending folks check their manual transmission drain plugs as the person works as a Ford service manager and has seen a few Mach 1's with loose plugs, as I was taking my Mach 1 in for an oil change this morning I asked them to check mine. I was called out to the service bay and the tech showed me not one, but two missing lugs on my front passenger wheel. Ford replaced them at no cost and the tech checked all the other lugs, none were torqued to spec (150 ft lbs) and 2 were only hand tight.

He then checked the transmission drain plug and it was in fact loose, there was no sign of a leak thankfully.

Do yourselves a favor, take a few minutes to verify your lugs are torqued properly and at the 1st chance you get check your transmission drain plug to make sure it is tight.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I had read a post on Facebook recommending folks check their manual transmission drain plugs as the person works as a Ford service manager and has seen a few Mach 1's with loose plugs, as I was taking my Mach 1 in for an oil change this morning I asked them to check mine. I was called out to the service bay and the tech showed me not one, but two missing lugs on my front passenger wheel. Ford replaced them at no cost and the tech checked all the other lugs, none were torqued to spec (150 ft lbs) and 2 were only hand tight.

He then checked the transmission drain plug and it was in fact loose, there was no sign of a leak thankfully.

Do yourselves a favor, take a few minutes to verify your lugs are torqued properly and at the 1st chance you get check your transmission drain plug to make sure it is tight.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
not excusing that happening from the factory but i would have thought for sure verifying lug nuts being on securely would be part of the PDI?! more than one person didn't do their job in your situation

OP
OP
BTR75

BTR75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (FJG)
not excusing that happening from the factory but i would have thought for sure verifying lug nuts being on securely would be part of the PDI?! more than one person didn't do their job in your situation
Agreed, PDI was not done correctly in my case as the shipping blocks were also still on and I discovered them when I got home. Luckily I had less than 50 miles on the car and got them removed that same week.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Interesting...I thought the oil drain plug was a twist and lock like the gt350. As far the lugnuts that is unacceptable. I had an issue on my gt350 where I had to every now and then retorgue them but I never had lugnuts fallen off.

Pardsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
Lugs are put on at Flat Rock by a machine.

Sponsored

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
I always check the lugs on a new car after a couple hundred miles. My 2017 F150 lugs were loose when I went to put gorilla locks on at around 500 miles. Its just natural after owning Harleys for many years. Check all critical fasteners!

OP
OP
BTR75

BTR75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (FJG)
I just purchased a dedicated torque wrench and will definitely be checking the lugs monthly. I probably should have checked them sooner but I've never had an issue like this with my other 2 Mustangs so it wasn't on my radar.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Interesting...I thought the oil drain plug was a twist and lock like the gt350. As far the lugnuts that is unacceptable. I had an issue on my gt350 where I had to every now and then retorgue them but I never had lugnuts fallen off.
They are referring to the transmission drain plug not the engine.