PSA: Ben Calimer of Calimer Transmissions has terrible customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I think everyone should be aware that while Calimer certain has a very good product, his customer service is extremely poor and I would absolutely not recommend getting a transmission from him. The story for why below.

On Aug 9th of this year, my 2nd gear failed and the transmission would pop out of gear when I applied any torque. At that point I knew that I was going to replace mine with an upgrade, and do the clutch, flywheel etc all at the same time. I contacted Calimer, lined up a donor transmission to get rebuilt Stage 1. I got one from a 2014 that had a 2nd gear problem as well, and sent it in. I had talked with him both via email and over the phone, and during both, confirmed with him that mine was a 2015, so needed to be built with the 3 bolt output shaft flange. He confirmed.

Come last week, I got the trans, and had everything for the swap. I have a friend who is a service manager at a local shop (and tracks his S550), and techs that I actually trust to treat it like their own, and whom I've become friends with. They gave me a fantastic price to do the swap, far too good to pass up to spend 8-10 hours by myself on jackstands doing it. About 3 hours after I dropped it off, I got a message asking what year the Calimer transmission was. I then instantly knew what happened: Ben hadn't swapped the flange. At the time, it was annoying, but no big deal because they could change it from my old transmission. Here is where the poor customer service starts....

I called Ben, explained what happened, and his response was "oh, I probably forgot". No, "I'm sorry". Again, at that point, it was an annoyance and not an issue. After getting the car back and driving it, I was smelling a bit of a burning smell once stopped. I brought it back to the shop, as they're near work, and we found the problem: the output shaft seal was leaking/spitting fluid and it was getting on the exhaust. I took some pictures, and sent them to Ben. His response is in the picture. Needless to say I was LIVID. The only reason this happened is because he messed up first. My friend's shop would not have needed to touch it if Ben had done it correctly. He had to take the flange off to rebuild the transmission anyway! Since then, there has been no apology, no offer to compensate me for his mistake (another $200 for the repair, completed today). This is not acceptable at all. Avoid. I know he has a good product, and it performs great, but this level of service doesn't deserve the financial reward.

20200910_192436.jpg
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t Ben tell you about the fact that he has so many mt-82’s to fix that its driving him to drink. He was probably plastered when he did yours... lol

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Didn’t Ben tell you about the fact that he has so many mt-82’s to fix that its driving him to drink. He was probably plastered when he did yours... lol
I know it's meant as a joke, but that doesn't help. If anything it'd make me want to blast him further.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Did you know lethal performance sells his stuff? Probably would have gotten better service through them..

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Did you know lethal performance sells his stuff? Probably would have gotten better service through them..
Ben did not have any built transmissions. He needed a core to get me one. I don't know if that would've changed anything, and why should it? Paying customer is a paying customer. I got less than I paid for and didn't get any compensation for the extra time and repair costs, plus risk to the health of the transmission.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I'm not trying to take sides, just confused and want clarification. He screwed up. You had the correct flange installed at the dealer. They screwed that up.

Did I get that right?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm not trying to take sides, just confused and want clarification. He screwed up. You had the correct flange installed at the dealer. They screwed that up.

Did I get that right?
I think the wrong flange was installed by Ben, so when the shop went to install the correct flange, and didn't change out the seal, the seal had issues. If the correct flange had been installed the first time, the seal wouldn't have been messed with.

JR

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I think the wrong flange was installed by Ben, so when the shop went to install the correct flange, and didn't change out the seal, the seal had issues. If the correct flange had been installed the first time, the seal wouldn't have been messed with.

JR
This.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
rip

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
On the other hand, if you would have provided a core with the proper flange, it wouldn't have been an issue either.

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I also had some trans fluid leaking from my output shaft seal back when I had a stage 1. I had originally thought the burning smell was clutch but sure enough the fluid was just getting burned on the exhaust. He did ship my trans with the correct flange though so I know it wasn’t a shop error that caused the leaking issue.

I think it might be a common issue among his transmissions as the shop owner told me he had installed another stage 1 about a month before me and it was leaking the exact same way

I’d like to add though that I never raised an issue with him because I went with a T56, but the times I did interact with him, he was very helpful and I didn’t share the same negative experience as you might’ve

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I heard enough bad things on another forum to not use him and got mine locally done. Had zero issues, sorry to hear your bad experience OP

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
On the other hand, if you would have provided a core with the proper flange, it wouldn't have been an issue either.
I paid for him to swap it, so no, that's not an excuse that holds water.

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I also had some trans fluid leaking from my output shaft seal back when I had a stage 1. I had originally thought the burning smell was clutch but sure enough the fluid was just getting burned on the exhaust. He did ship my trans with the correct flange though so I know it wasn’t a shop error that caused the leaking issue.

I think it might be a common issue among his transmissions as the shop owner told me he had installed another stage 1 about a month before me and it was leaking the exact same way

I’d like to add though that I never raised an issue with him because I went with a T56, but the times I did interact with him, he was very helpful and I didn’t share the same negative experience as you might’ve
He was never combative or rude when I spoke with him, but the response to the issues is completely subpar.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.