Sponsored

Protective Wrapping Your Dark Highland Green '19 Bullitt?

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
I was all set to put protective wrap on my Bullitt, but had concerns about putting plastic over that gorgeous green paint. In a conversation with a professional detailer who has personally owned wrapped cars and worked on wrapped customer cars, he recommends the front bumper for sure, but that's about it. He cites differences in paint gloss of wrapped vs unwrapped parts, dirt lines, visible seams, and difficulty of removal if edges come loose. He also said it's a nightmare to remove the adhesive from the paint.

What do you guys think? Planning on wrapping any parts of your car, or just leaving it alone? Or...did you dole out the bucks for a wrap and now have remorse? Or...wrapped and happy with the results.

Awaiting your comments!
Sponsored

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang - Dark Highland Green
Had the front fascia, full hood, side mirrors, A-pillars, door cups, lower door panels, front fenders and some other smaller sections wrapped like behind the rear wheels arches. It looks great. If a piece of film lifts and it gets dirt in it you might see a seam but I usually take it back to my installer and he corrects it for free. It really does save the paint and the newer films are pretty thing and optically very clear. I *highly* recommend doing it.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There should be no lines or seems if he is properly wrapping corners. My BULLITT is at a shop right now sitting next to a 510k+ Lambo that is getting the same treatment I am. If it was really a problem there would not be so many high end owners doing it.

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang - Dark Highland Green
There should be no lines or seems if he is properly wrapping corners. My BULLITT is at a shop right now sitting next to a 510k+ Lambo that is getting the same treatment I am. If it was really a problem there would not be so many high end owners doing it.
In theory I agree completely. In my experience, however, things can look great at the shop and then weeks or months later you might see some sections lifting or peeling slightly, especially around sharp edges or compound curves. Again, a good shop will not have an issue with correcting those sections.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
In theory I agree completely. In my experience, however, things can look great at the shop and then weeks or months later you might see some sections lifting or peeling slightly, especially around sharp edges or compound curves. Again, a good shop will not have an issue with correcting those sections.
Correct, it's like laying any other vinyl style wrap. A good shop though has a booth/lights to put your car in to let the wrap shrink for a few hours to a day and then check the edges for lift before returning it.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I think the experience will depend on what brand of film you use. The XPEL I have on the whole front end, hood, fenders and rocker panels is great. No difference in appearance, doesn't yellow with age, and it comes off very easily. Seams shouldn't be visible if you have someone good wrapping it, unless the film cuts off somewhere where it can't be hidden (half hood wrap for example). I get your concerns, I was a detailer at a Porsche dealer about 10 years ago and the 3M film back then was terrible. It got yellow very quickly, had a big difference in appearance compared to unwrapped panels, and was a huge time consuming pain to remove. Most films have improved a lot, but the XPEL is still the best in my opinion. I made a video about the process too if you're curious:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I think the experience will depend on what brand of film you use. The XPEL I have on the whole front end, hood, fenders and rocker panels is great. No difference in appearance, doesn't yellow with age, and it comes off very easily. Seams shouldn't be visible if you have someone good wrapping it, unless the film cuts off somewhere where it can't be hidden (half hood wrap for example). I get your concerns, I was a detailer at a Porsche dealer about 10 years ago and the 3M film back then was terrible. It got yellow very quickly, had a big difference in appearance compared to unwrapped panels, and was a huge time consuming pain to remove. Most films have improved a lot, but the XPEL is still the best in my opinion. I made a video about the process too if you're curious:
Watching your video is exactly why I decided to have mine done. I'm still deciding on Tint though.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
First BMW with 3M was ok after a few years, but just ok. Second BMW with Xpel was flawless after 4 years. Planning for it again when my car comes in.

G-train

G Train
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was all set to put protective wrap on my Bullitt, but had concerns about putting plastic over that gorgeous green paint. In a conversation with a professional detailer who has personally owned wrapped cars and worked on wrapped customer cars, he recommends the front bumper for sure, but that's about it. He cites differences in paint gloss of wrapped vs unwrapped parts, dirt lines, visible seams, and difficulty of removal if edges come loose. He also said it's a nightmare to remove the adhesive from the paint.

What do you guys think? Planning on wrapping any parts of your car, or just leaving it alone? Or...did you dole out the bucks for a wrap and now have remorse? Or...wrapped and happy with the results.

Awaiting your comments!
I took my Bullitt directly to the detailer who will install Xpel on it. He doesn't cure it under a lamp. He will keep it there for a week at least and let the bubbles work themselves out. When that is done, he will do a ceramic coating designed for use with protective film. Getting the tinting done as well.

Tim Kiely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2008 HG Bullitt #4007, 2019 DHG Bullitt #0373
I did the Xpel plus wrap on full font bumper and headlights, full fenders, full hood, A pillars, top edge above windshield, rockers, door handles and cups, between doors and rear wheel wells and rear bumper below trunk lid. Added nano ceramic window tint. Worth every penny, looks awesome!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shipey

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
So I've decided to have the front bumper, rockers, the area behind the front wheel wells and the areas in front and behind
the rear wheel wells wrapped. Door cups are thrown in the deal. I know it's risky to not do the hood, but I'm taking my chances.
A few years ago I drove my 2012 GT/CS from PA to CA and back (Route 66) and did it without 1 stone chip. Hoping
my luck holds out! The installer told me that 3M makes Expel.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
So I've decided to have the front bumper, rockers, the area behind the front wheel wells and the areas in front and behind
the rear wheel wells wrapped. Door cups are thrown in the deal. I know it's risky to not do the hood, but I'm taking my chances.
A few years ago I drove my 2012 GT/CS from PA to CA and back (Route 66) and did it without 1 stone chip. Hoping
my luck holds out! The installer told me that 3M makes Expel.
It may be made in 3m factories, but they are different products. Both are great though.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The installer told me that 3M makes Expel.
Definitely not true. 3M hates XPEL lol. 3M was king of the castle for a long time and they got lazy, didn't innovate, and got left behind as new competitors popped up. Now 3M is left with the scraps while the majority of people are going XPEL these days.

OP
OP
Shipey

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Definitely not true. 3M hates XPEL lol. 3M was king of the castle for a long time and they got lazy, didn't innovate, and got left behind as new competitors popped up. Now 3M is left with the scraps while the majority of people are going XPEL these days.
Might not be the first time an installer didn't tell the truth!
Sponsored