Protective Film or No Protective Film

Do you have protective film?

• Total voters

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
I put PPF (Xpel) and ceramic coating on my 2014 Shelby. Five years later and 20k miles it still looked like it did on day 1. I took the car everywhere, it was not a cars and coffee only ride. I experienced no yellowing, washing was quick and easy, nothing stuck to the car, and everyone commented on how rich the paint looked and great it felt. I did return the car to the detail shop annually, before winter, for a touchup and did have one of the rocker panels peel up (where dirt had built up). I was charged a small fee for the whole checkup but any film that needed to be replaced or coating reapplied didn't increase the fee.

I traded it for my 2020 and I plan on going the exact same route. I will be going with a different shop and SunTek instead of Xpel. I have nothing bad to say about Xpel quality, I saw plenty of nicks on the film that didn't make it into the paint. It's more about the install. The shop that did my Xpel didn't wrap the edges and years ago I didn't know enough about it that it would be an issue. The shop I'm going to now custom cuts all their film. They've shown me a few cars (including a beautiful C7 ZR1) where they wrapped the edges so seamless you would have thought it came that way from the factory.

I charged more when I sold my 14 because of the PPF and the new owner agreed to pay for the increased value. Sometime in the future I will repaint the bumper on my Boss and get that wrapped as well.

So yeah, to me, it's more than worth it if you're going to keep the car a hot minute and for the resale value retention if that matters to you (it didn't to me but it was nice to have, I don't keep cars for their monetary value).
SunTek doesn't apply well to our cars.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Had full suntek on my 2016. Sold it after three years. Know the new owner. Still on and doing well.

Current car has mix of SunTek (roof and trunk) and Xpel (everyplace else). Cannot tell the difference.

Edit: the newer SunTek and Xpel both require more seams to be created because they are thicker than the older film. So, neither is as invisible in that respect.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told that by my PPF guy who is specifically partnered with SunTek now and he decided to go full xpel after looking my car over. Maybe it has something to do with the GT500 front end?

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, it was the first set of wheels I had on my 18. P51 wheels in Satin bronze looked fantastic in combination with the Lightning Blue color

The community has historically been very big and the interest and passion has been strong. But with the younger generations I would think that it has diminished somewhat.

Also with all new legislations etc it's difficult for folks to get new V8s nowadays (financially).

When the S550 came to Europe the dealer that sold most S550s was a dealer in Sweden (same one I got my 18 from).

Sorry for OT

Love those wheels on your car (profile pic), how's the American car community in Sweden?

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear about the community there. I was in Copenhagen and some other major cities in Europe in 2015 and didn't see any American enthusaist cars really. Guess I should've gone more north

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I was told that by my PPF guy who is specifically partnered with SunTek now and he decided to go full xpel after looking my car over. Maybe it has something to do with the GT500 front end?
Won't dispute a professional, but the GT500 and GT350 have very similar front ends from a ppf standpoint. Having said that, my Xpel installer added a seam to my front end that I absolutely hate and plan to get fixed come spring.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
this is my car with 170k of care free abuse. Nothing special, I just drive through car washes even. This was last week, fresh out of the tunnel car wash. It has literally no damage anywhere except a large pelt from had to be a massive skipping stone size at some point, and it just dented it, didnt slice through it.

Imo, it saves a lot of stresses. It can always be professionally removed via steam. From this being on 8 years and no wear or yellowing or cracking peeling. I am simply leaving it on, the PPF removal/reinstall would be worth as much as the car lol. but fact is, I love that it always looks good and I dont worry about driving it.

In comparison, scions with my age and miles look like it was behind a sandblaster/wood chipper. Not me. If it even has paint left, its truly that awful.

Sorry its a cheap car, but scion has the CHEAPEST paint in the fricken world! its way worst than the mustangs. Far inferior car, but the fact my paint looks this good. I am so glad I paid that $800 day one for the coverage I have---- trust me this cars been through hell. 5 years of it was Alaska winter/summer with rocks and debri and mountains and then the last 3-4 years of ohio salt/brine/etc. (its a winter car now) as I have mustang. and its shown really zero signs of anything.

I had some colors/stains etc that wasn't removing from car wash, so I busted out my polish/wax/spray cleaner and just wiped/smeared it around the whole PPF with a microfiber cloth, and 99% of the bug discoloration etc that I neglected came right out. I was truly amazed. again- I dont really treat this car with any respect, its a DD/winter abuser. but even this old PPF is quality, new stuff is far superior.

IMG_7152.JPG

1_d1d1a037f4df6a39d9b4a07623dd92062e1ed1ad.jpg

2_3910359147188399866b6069d7da9bf889d478d3.jpg

4_e518ed45644e733900f113c6baec50a0b3173ea6.jpg

img_6537_9a02cf3ee2f18eb7eabc7806023a8c6d99a202d9.jpg

1604613_10152220700503923_1256914530_n_10152220700503923.jpg

1506839_10152110447628923_120182146_n_10152110447628923.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Interesting most say do it or have done it. I guess I will be on the other side of the fence. My car is to be built 11/23/20, base car with the handling package and Recaros, MSRP deal and won't be getting any protective film. I equate it to my high end road and mountain bicycles. I spend any where from $5,000 to $7,000 for a new bike every few years. Most of my buddies put the equivalent of Xpel on their bike frames to protect them. I don't. I see them as playtime toys and are to be enjoyed and show the scars of war. Not that just because you put film on you don't enjoy your cars or your toys. Don't get me wrong and assume that I ignore the care of my cars and toys. Both my bikes and cars are some of the most well maintained you will find. I just don't get the need for the "added" protection and several on here have given their reasons as to why they use "added" protection and that makes perfect sense for them to do it. Not knocking anyone for the piece of mind they get from the "added" protection.
I'm just not in that boat.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interesting most say do it or have done it. I guess I will be on the other side of the fence. My car is to be built 11/23/20, base car with the handling package and Recaros, MSRP deal and won't be getting any protective film. I equate it to my high end road and mountain bicycles. I spend any where from $5,000 to $7,000 for a new bike every few years. Most of my buddies put the equivalent of Xpel on their bike frames to protect them. I don't. I see them as playtime toys and are to be enjoyed and show the scars of war. Not that just because you put film on you don't enjoy your cars or your toys. Don't get me wrong and assume that I ignore the care of my cars and toys. Both my bikes and cars are some of the most well maintained you will find. I just don't get the need for the "added" protection and several on here have given their reasons as to why they use "added" protection and that makes perfect sense for them to do it. Not knocking anyone for the piece of mind they get from the "added" protection.
I'm just not in that boat.
I ride CF De Rosas straight from the factory in Cusano Milanino. Much different IMHO.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I traded in my triple yellow R and it looked as beautiful as the day I drove it home. Because of its condition, I got top dollar for it.

If you plan to track your car, and you ride anywhere near behind anyone, you will have all kinds of pitting and nicks in the paint. My first GT350 didn't have any xpel, and that is exactly what happened. Pitted the windshield too.

Bottom line, if you don't care, that's fine. When you go to sell it, the value will be less if it looks like it is beat up and was not cared for.

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
Never heard of this or what that means really. The shop has done GT350s before and never had any issue. Besides, the shop offers a full satisfaction guarantee in writing and Suntek offers warranty as well that includes installation.

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I traded in my triple yellow R and it looked as beautiful as the day I drove it home. Because of its condition, I got top dollar for it.

If you plan to track your car, and you ride anywhere near behind anyone, you will have all kinds of pitting and nicks in the paint. My first GT350 didn't have any xpel, and that is exactly what happened. Pitted the windshield too.

Bottom line, if you don't care, that's fine. When you go to sell it, the value will be less if it looks like it is beat up and was not cared for.
I can attest to this. Anyway, I would never try to convince anyone one way or another because at the end of the day it is just a car and just a hobby.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Some installers just prefer one or the other, difference thicknesses, ease of going around curves etc. just like vinyl guys having preference, doesn't shock me a suntek went to expel and expel went to suntek, we dont know the other details maybe theres more profit on one or the other, ie. a roll may cost 1000, why another brand is 800, but can still charge installed prices stay same. that could motivate to go to a new supplier etc.

lots of variables, I think they are all good with todays tech.
Sponsored