Sponsored

Protecting new car on trip home

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Thanks for the info about the 3M product and comparison. I have never heard of the first one before! How far up the hood/fenders did you cover? Was one roll enough?
Fenders - I only did a small area where it comes to a point at the front.
Front fascia - I did most of it, cutting strips where it narrowed down to an inch or so.

One roll enough? Depends on the size of the roll you get as there are a few different ones. I'll put it this way, you can never have too much. I used up the entire roll I had and wished I had ordered another one.

How did George like the 500, and was it as fun on the straight as the McClaren was?
I think he was impressed at how well it did for how fat it is. Not going to lie - on a tight track, the GT500 is at its worst. Car weighed 4,166lbs with gas but no driver (weighed at the scale at Roebling). The ZL1 1LE that was there came in at 3,830. So with George in the passenger seat I was about 500lbs more than the 1LE while out on the track and it sure felt like it - except on the straights.

No comparison to the Mclaren. That car was an utter beast and felt like a knife slicing through the air whereas the GT500 felt (at times) like a fat woman trying to pole vault through a sea of butter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
like a fat woman trying to pole vault through a sea of butter.
My takeaway from all this was - I'm going to use this line.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Hi all,

Put a deposit down on an R, and will be picking it up once delivered. Dealer is about 70 miles from my home. I have told the dealer to not wash the car. I want to put track armor or blue tape down until I can get in for PPF, but with a dirty car, don't want to damage the paint doing that. Would I be ok using quick detailer and a MF towel to clean off that section to lay the track armor or tape down? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
FWIW, I was fine driving mine home from Orange County to Studio City. I just made sure I wasn't behind any trucks or following people too closely. An hour drive isn't that bad. If you still want to use the tape for added peace of mind, don't just use quick detailer and a MF towel to clean that section down. The car will probably show up pretty dirty and that method will simply put scratches on it. I'd bring a set of front splash guards too.

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Fenders - I only did a small area where it comes to a point at the front.
Front fascia - I did most of it, cutting strips where it narrowed down to an inch or so.

One roll enough? Depends on the size of the roll you get as there are a few different ones. I'll put it this way, you can never have too much. I used up the entire roll I had and wished I had ordered another one.

I think he was impressed at how well it did for how fat it is. Not going to lie - on a tight track, the GT500 is at its worst. Car weighed 4,166lbs with gas but no driver (weighed at the scale at Roebling). The ZL1 1LE that was there came in at 3,830. So with George in the passenger seat I was about 500lbs more than the 1LE while out on the track and it sure felt like it - except on the straights.

No comparison to the Mclaren. That car was an utter beast and felt like a knife slicing through the air whereas the GT500 felt (at times) like a fat woman trying to pole vault through a sea of butter.
You should tell George to lose weight. Looks like the fat lady has stopped singing and making more money on the pole with butter.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Lol.

Sponsored

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
For the OP, you might not have a trailer, neither do I. That one is borrowed from a friend.
Get creative. AAA plus has free 100 mile towing. Have it flat-bedded from the dealer to home. Just another option.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
For the OP, you might not have a trailer, neither do I. That one is borrowed from a friend.
Get creative. AAA plus has free 100 mile towing. Have it flat-bedded from the dealer to home. Just another option.
Iā€˜m thinking AAA isnā€™t in the transport business, they are in the ā€œI broke down and need a tow businessā€.
Iā€˜d be real interested if someone actually got away with this and how they did it.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Iā€˜m thinking AAA isnā€™t in the transport business, they are in the ā€œI broke down and need a tow businessā€.
Iā€˜d be real interested if someone actually got away with this and how they did it.
Thatā€™s what I was thinking. I didnā€™t think theyā€™d tow your car from a dealer to your house. Just to a shop etc.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Not correct. As a plus customer, I had a project vehicle flat-bedded to my new home, no questions asked.
The limitation is the 100 mile range.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Not correct. As a plus customer, I had a project vehicle flat-bedded to my new home, no questions asked.
The limitation is the 100 mile range.
Very cool. What are the limitations? Couple times per year?

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
At the time I did it, the limitations were the 100 miles, and a one-way trip per vehicle (if you had more than one to move, it was okay). Unfortunately, I didn't check on how long it would be before I could move the same vehicle again.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Hi all,

Put a deposit down on an R, and will be picking it up once delivered. Dealer is about 70 miles from my home. I have told the dealer to not wash the car. I want to put track armor or blue tape down until I can get in for PPF, but with a dirty car, don't want to damage the paint doing that. Would I be ok using quick detailer and a MF towel to clean off that section to lay the track armor or tape down? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
great question, I'll be the thread watching closely.....

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
I took a different route. I was picking mine up from 200 miles away, so using a trailer made sense.
20200529_090902.jpg
I'm assuming you own the trailer? or did you rent? I was thinking of trailering a car back home (should I find one) but there is no way a R will roll onto a U-Haul rental trailer. I believe I read the clearance angle is something like 7%?

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
I was told when calling AAA tell them the car is "all wheel drive" then it is in their protocol that they MUST send a flat bed otherwise they may send a wrecker.
I was limited to 100 miles per tow and something like 10 tows a year.
Years ago I had a PERFECT CJ-7 Golden Eagle. I used AAA to transport it many times from storage to the mechanic shop. Granted, that was not quite as "clearance challenged" as the R.....
Sponsored