Sponsored

Protecting new car on trip home

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Hi all,

Put a deposit down on an R, and will be picking it up once delivered. Dealer is about 70 miles from my home. I have told the dealer to not wash the car. I want to put track armor or blue tape down until I can get in for PPF, but with a dirty car, don't want to damage the paint doing that. Would I be ok using quick detailer and a MF towel to clean off that section to lay the track armor or tape down? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I would very lightly wipe it first with a sopping wet MF towel to loosen and remove any dirt and crap on it - don't rub it or work it hard. Then use a clean MF towel and a heavy application of your detailer to go over it again, but again not rubbing it hard. And then follow up with a third MF towel and lighter application of detailer spray as you normally would. Probably after the second step you could put track armor or road armor film on it but in case there is an area that flaps a little at speed by the third step it should be pretty clean.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Your dealership has a power wash station Iā€™m sure. My local dealership also has steam power.
Ask if you can use it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Giving my 2 cents on the temp ppf - I did not have a good experience with track armor while removing it. It left a lot of residue. No doubt it did it's job. I would go with a blue tape.
Good to know, thank you!!

First, congrats on the new car. Honestly, I would want something a little more aggressive as a cleaner than a detailer. Something like this.......

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/spray+on+car+wash.do

Also get some thick nap MFā€™s for cleaning.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/microfiber+plush+edgeless+towels+set+of+6.do?sortby=ourPicks

I have used both and believe me your car deserves then.
I never thought of the spray on car wash, I have a 35oz bottle of that they sent me by mistake with an order! Thanks for reminding me

Your dealership has a power wash station Iā€™m sure. My local dealership also has steam power.
Ask if you can use it.
Never thought about asking to use their wash station my self

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I recently drove my '20 GT500 from NY to Georgia, tracked the car at Roebling Road, and drove back home a couple days later. Over two thousand miles driven during the entire trip.

I used two temporary films on the front of the car. VViViD, a 3M product, and I used Track Armour in some spots. The 3M product is superb. It is a thick protective film that came off without issue. The track Armour was much thinner and while it didn't bond as well it got the job done. Both got wet from rains while I drove the car. Neither peeled off and/or flailed in the wind.

IMG_8033.JPG

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

Next trip I'll do the same in covering areas on the front fascia and hood with both products. I peeled them off as directed and had zero issues. Car cleaned up perfectly.

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8093z.jpg

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
Might consider picking up a bottle of Adam Polishes Waterless Wash and/or their CS3 mixture using their waffle weave towels. I use the CS3 and the waffle weave towels to wipe it down for a show after traveling aways.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
FWIW - I drove mine 3 hours home...took care not to drive behind anyone. It's not love bug season here now, though... Had minimal bug kill and no problems.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I recently drove my '20 GT500 from NY to Georgia, tracked the car at Roebling Road, and drove back home a couple days later. Over two thousand miles driven during the entire trip.

I used two temporary films on the front of the car. VViViD, a 3M product, and I used Track Armour in some spots. The 3M product is superb. It is a thick protective film that came off without issue. The track Armour was much thinner and while it didn't bond as well it got the job done. Both got wet from rains while I drove the car. Neither peeled off and/or flailed in the wind.

IMG_8033.JPG

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

Next trip I'll do the same in covering areas on the front fascia and hood with both products. I peeled them off as directed and had zero issues. Car cleaned up perfectly.

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8093z.jpg
How did George like the 500, and was it as fun on the straight as the McClaren was?

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
I use
Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection Film
available on Amazon
Use a paint roller to apply. Easy to peal off

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

IMG_8033.JPG

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8093z.jpg
Thanks for the info about the 3M product and comparison. I have never heard of the first one before! How far up the hood/fenders did you cover? Was one roll enough?

Might consider picking up a bottle of Adam Polishes Waterless Wash and/or their CS3 mixture using their waffle weave towels. I use the CS3 and the waffle weave towels to wipe it down for a show after traveling aways.
I have a bottle of Griots spray on wash that I plan to use with some plush MF towels

FWIW - I drove mine 3 hours home...took care not to drive behind anyone. It's not love bug season here now, though... Had minimal bug kill and no problems.
A little hard not to drive behind anyone in Los Angeles traffic ;)

I took a different route. I was picking mine up from 200 miles away, so using a trailer made sense.
20200529_090902.jpg
Wish I could trailer it, but don't have that option

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
A little hard not to drive behind anyone in Los Angeles traffic ;)
I drove through LA traffic on my way home and had zero blemishes. Granted it was Fathers Day so the traffic was lite. :whew:

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I drove through LA traffic on my way home and had zero blemishes. Granted it was Fathers Day so the traffic was lite. :whew:
Haha lucky you! I had a friend catch a rock on the 405 in his new car on his way home. So now I'm paranoid.
Sponsored