Sponsored

Prop shaft centre bearing… how much movement should there be?

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi, I’ve been hearing strange sound (bit like when you have a bulge in a tyre) that matches road speed. Checked all wheels, done my best to check wheel bearings, then checked prop shaft centre bearing. There is some vertical movement in the centre bearing, maybe 5mm up and down, but I’m not sure if this is normal and also if this could cause the noise I’m hearing. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Front tyre inner shoulders?

Mine were cupped by 18k miles and made a lot of noise.
cheers. I’ve checked them and they appear ok. I’m going to put the spare on and see if there’s any difference though

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
cheers. I’ve checked them and they appear ok. I’m going to put the spare on and see if there’s any difference though
Changing one will not really help. Easy enough to feel on the inner shoulder where you will feel a rippled tread depth

OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Changing one will not really help. Easy enough to feel on the inner shoulder where you will feel a rippled tread depth
Thanks. Yes I did that previously and can’t feel or see anything wrong with the tyres. Tread is getting close to legal limit so will have to change them soon. Maybe that will help.

my real concern is how much movement there should be on the prop shaft centre bearing.
Thanks

Sponsored

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Prop shaft to the diff, drive shafts to the wheels?

I suppose prop shaft (propeller shaft) most mimics the propeller shaft of a boat.
Yeah, drive shafts drive the wheels and prop shaft drives the diff. Guess it’s related to ships/boats like you say to differentiate between the 2 different shafts. Pretty sure this is just a UK thing though and USA and others use drive shaft for prop shaft… don’t know what they call the drive shaft… maybe drive axle?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
In Landrover language we say prop shafts and half shafts..

As far as I'm concerned, in the UK a half shaft is inside a live axle, Driveshaft is as per our S550's.
Sponsored