Project RATTLESNAKE: Building A Better Swing / Gurney

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Pics off the car next to the OEM would help see the differences too. It looks like a different gurney on the factory piece without being able to compare to the OEM. Thanks for the update!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You don’t need a wind tunnel anymore. CFD testing is the equivalent
I think CFD can help a lot and for an aftermarket product I would accept CFD only. I wouldn't expect an aftermarket product to have full wind tunnel testing. I wouldn't say it's equivalent, but it has a lot of value if the CFD analysis is performed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I remember a kit car at my local road course that had a really annoying whistle at speed. If a wing induced some kind of vibration that caused a noise that wouldn't be great, plus it could cause a fatigue failure over time. CFD will help you to understand how thick/strong the parts have to be to hold their shapes under wind load on track. Also it would be nice to have a general idea of how much the change might impact downforce and drag.

Been working on this RATTLESNAKE a bit behind the scenes. Lets discuss a little of what you are seeing.

Overall the RATTLESNAKE will have an increased height over OEM. The center "A-Cup" as I have named it will add another layer of aggression to the swing. It is designed to be the same width as the aeordynamic valley that is located on the roofline. Air will naturally flow over the car into it.

The rear profile is about where I want it. At certain angles the front view looked too thick. Going to make some small changes and bring down the height a tad on the edges. Then going to make the "A-Cup" a little taller. Overall the height will decrease, but the lower edges will make the center section more pronounced.

Also incorporated broader coverage on the back of the OEM swing at the outer edges. This will allow for more carbon fiber presence from the rear view.

"OEM plus" is the concept here. It will stand far enough apart from the OEM piece to be noticeable, but no so far different it loses the original level of sexiness the car had. I may do a CFD pull, but the changes here are not so drastic that it should unbalance the car. I would view this as an aesthetic upgrade over a performance modification.

Once those few revisions are done I will share some pics and start with preparations to build the mold and carbon production piece. Let me know if you guys like where this is going

DSC_4049.jpg
I like the shapes and the idea. I'm not sure about the sharp angle between the base and the bolt-on component (see arrow). I feel like it will provide more downforce and drag, but possibly more of each than needed. I would prefer to see a softer angle for that reason. But if you had someone do a CFD analysis of it - the resulting information might make me change my mind. Whatever I purchase, I want it to function acceptably on track.

If this is an add-on to the Ford factory base, I like that idea as well.

swing.JPG

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think CFD can help a lot and for an aftermarket product I would accept CFD only. I wouldn't expect an aftermarket product to have full wind tunnel testing. I wouldn't say it's equivalent, but it has a lot of value if the CFD analysis is performed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I remember a kit car at my local road course that had a really annoying whistle at speed. If a wing induced some kind of vibration that caused a noise that wouldn't be great, plus it could cause a fatigue failure over time. CFD will help you to understand how thick/strong the parts have to be to hold their shapes under wind load on track. Also it would be nice to have a general idea of how much the change might impact downforce and drag.

I like the shapes and the idea. I'm not sure about the sharp angle between the base and the bolt-on component (see arrow). I feel like it will provide more downforce and drag, but possibly more of each than needed. I would prefer to see a softer angle for that reason. But if you had someone do a CFD analysis of it - the resulting information might make me change my mind. Whatever I purchase, I want it to function acceptably on track.

If this is an add-on to the Ford factory base, I like that idea as well.

swing.JPG
All very good points. The angle of the gurney at the point it bolts to the swing is unchanged from OEM. I had some of your ideas to change the angle, but hesitant on the adjustment as it has already been proven. Plus it affects the hardware too. I’m still noodling it.

My goal is to remain true to what the RATTLESNAKE is and is not. As well as who the potential buyer may be. It is a neck snapping aesthetic piece that may provide aerodynamic benefits and will remain cost competitive. That is the project scope.

It is not intended to be a race bred aerodynamic component. However, my own curiosity wants some CFD testing done just to see how it affects things. I’m excited for the results.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are you planning on a new design for the swing too? What sort of time frame are we looking at for that?

Blackbite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang cobra, 2019 GT350R
Hey T,
Is this project still on the table? I imagine the focus still remains on getting the Python out the door, just curious.

Sponsored

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
Been working on this RATTLESNAKE a bit behind the scenes. Lets discuss a little of what you are seeing.

Overall the RATTLESNAKE will have an increased height over OEM. The center "A-Cup" as I have named it will add another layer of aggression to the swing. It is designed to be the same width as the aeordynamic valley that is located on the roofline. Air will naturally flow over the car into it.

The rear profile is about where I want it. At certain angles the front view looked too thick. Going to make some small changes and bring down the height a tad on the edges. Then going to make the "A-Cup" a little taller. Overall the height will decrease, but the lower edges will make the center section more pronounced.

Also incorporated broader coverage on the back of the OEM swing at the outer edges. This will allow for more carbon fiber presence from the rear view.

"OEM plus" is the concept here. It will stand far enough apart from the OEM piece to be noticeable, but no so far different it loses the original level of sexiness the car had. I may do a CFD pull, but the changes here are not so drastic that it should unbalance the car. I would view this as an aesthetic upgrade over a performance modification.

Once those few revisions are done I will share some pics and start with preparations to build the mold and carbon production piece. Let me know if you guys like where this is going

DSC_4028.jpg
DSC_4040.jpg
DSC_4042.jpg
DSC_4049.jpg
DSC_4050.jpg
DSC_4051.jpg
DSC_4038.jpg
DSC_4040.jpg
DSC_4031.jpg
Yeah I’m liking the looks of that!

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Gents! Sorry for the delay.

rattlesnake CAD work is getting sent over for approval from my carbon production this week. If all goes well we will be starting on a production piece next month.

Boa Constrictor is still in the design phase, but coming along soon.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Teaser of the néw Boa Constrictor being test fitted on the GT500. More pics once I get it secured properly.

EE786544-EEDF-48A4-97E1-A1449EBD7B7E.jpeg

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
First production Rattlesnake is finally here. Test fit and photos coming soon

Sponsored
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looks good! I'm interested in the Boa Constrictor, you still working on that?
It is on the back burner. Cost to produce it was high. Higher than I think the market would tolerate.

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
when will we be able to order the rattle snake and does it come in matte carbon

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Couple photos of it installed. Need to get more outside.

Rattlesnake Gurney Flap Installed V1-01.jpg
Rattlesnake Gurney Flap Installed V1-06.jpg
Rattlesnake Gurney Flap Installed V1-10.jpg
Sponsored