Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Better is a tough term to use on something like this. Hours upon hours of testing brought us the swing and gurney flap for the GT500 and GT350. Put all that aside for a second. Clear your mind. This is meant to speak to the enthusiast that likes the stock look, but wants some edge. So I ask you this.....
What if you can have more? What if you wanted just a little more aggression? What if you just didn’t want the rear of your GT500 to look like a GT350 and vice versa? What if you didn’t want to pay money for a carbon fiber piece that looks exactly the same? What if you just want to flexx on all the other Shelby’s at the cars and coffee?
This two part project will be to redesign the wing and gurney flap to bolt into the oem locations. Giving the opportunity to keep your factory swing and upgrade the gurney, replace the swing and gurney, or just replace the swing.
3D Scans are done. Carbon fiber is ready. Pencil and some graph paper eager to get it on. Post up some pics of inspiration or thoughts on what you would want to see to make these “better”. Whatever that means.

1095D05B-F200-4F9F-8B43-F0312B36756F.jpeg
E39921ED-EEAA-4D8C-B012-D8824789C470.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd be very interested in a product like this. I don't have anything for you as far as ideas yet.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'd be very interested in a product like this. I don't have anything for you as far as ideas yet.
Had some good ideas pop up on some other groups. I have something in mind and it’s growing....

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looks Great! How do you get wind tunnel time?
You don’t need a wind tunnel anymore. CFD testing is the equivalent

Sponsored

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
You don’t need a wind tunnel anymore. CFD testing is the equivalent
CFD is not a replacement for wind tunnel testing. If so there's no reason for the auto manufacturers to still invest in large wind tunnels and for any of the aerospace companies to still use wind tunnels.
https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/features/symbiosis-why-cfd-and-wind-tunnels-need-each-other/

That being said, if you can keep the current downforce numbers and reduce drag I'd take a look at it.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
CFD is not a replacement for wind tunnel testing. If so there's no reason for the auto manufacturers to still invest in large wind tunnels and for any of the aerospace companies to still use wind tunnels.
https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/features/symbiosis-why-cfd-and-wind-tunnels-need-each-other/

That being said, if you can keep the current downforce numbers and reduce drag I'd take a look at it.
The level of change here won’t be that great. If we were redesigning aero for the entire car I could see the benefit. For just the gurney flap or swing it’s overkill. Although nice to do if you have the coin and access.

Sponsored
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Some initial work coming together

DA0A957C-6F36-40F3-A08F-29EE32C1C9F5.jpeg

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Some initial work coming together

DA0A957C-6F36-40F3-A08F-29EE32C1C9F5.jpeg
Hey Terrance. I hope you are doing well. Still loving my 701's! Quick question (forgive the naivety). What are you looking to accomplish with this 'swing'? Are you just looking to replicate the stock 19/20 version for those who want to 'trade up' for their 15-18 wings or is there a fundamental difference you are building into this design to make it 'better'?

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Been working on this RATTLESNAKE a bit behind the scenes. Lets discuss a little of what you are seeing.

Overall the RATTLESNAKE will have an increased height over OEM. The center "A-Cup" as I have named it will add another layer of aggression to the swing. It is designed to be the same width as the aeordynamic valley that is located on the roofline. Air will naturally flow over the car into it.

The rear profile is about where I want it. At certain angles the front view looked too thick. Going to make some small changes and bring down the height a tad on the edges. Then going to make the "A-Cup" a little taller. Overall the height will decrease, but the lower edges will make the center section more pronounced.

Also incorporated broader coverage on the back of the OEM swing at the outer edges. This will allow for more carbon fiber presence from the rear view.

"OEM plus" is the concept here. It will stand far enough apart from the OEM piece to be noticeable, but no so far different it loses the original level of sexiness the car had. I may do a CFD pull, but the changes here are not so drastic that it should unbalance the car. I would view this as an aesthetic upgrade over a performance modification.

Once those few revisions are done I will share some pics and start with preparations to build the mold and carbon production piece. Let me know if you guys like where this is going

DSC_4028.jpg
DSC_4040.jpg
DSC_4042.jpg
DSC_4049.jpg
DSC_4050.jpg
DSC_4051.jpg
DSC_4038.jpg
DSC_4040.jpg
DSC_4031.jpg
Sponsored