Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Better is a tough term to use on something like this. Hours upon hours of testing brought us the swing and gurney flap for the GT500 and GT350. Put all that aside for a second. Clear your mind. This is meant to speak to the enthusiast that likes the stock look, but wants some edge. So I ask you this.....
What if you can have more? What if you wanted just a little more aggression? What if you just didn’t want the rear of your GT500 to look like a GT350 and vice versa? What if you didn’t want to pay money for a carbon fiber piece that looks exactly the same? What if you just want to flexx on all the other Shelby’s at the cars and coffee?
This two part project will be to redesign the wing and gurney flap to bolt into the oem locations. Giving the opportunity to keep your factory swing and upgrade the gurney, replace the swing and gurney, or just replace the swing.
3D Scans are done. Carbon fiber is ready. Pencil and some graph paper eager to get it on. Post up some pics of inspiration or thoughts on what you would want to see to make these “better”. Whatever that means.

1095D05B-F200-4F9F-8B43-F0312B36756F.jpeg
E39921ED-EEAA-4D8C-B012-D8824789C470.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Did your fluid dynamics computations and extensive testing determine that this version of a swing outperforms the OEM version? Or is this directed to the folks who are seeking a different look?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
He's showing a scan of the stock flap/swing, not modded.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
He's showing a scan of the stock flap/swing, not modded.
You missed my point. Unless you do all those things that I mentioned, you will be left with an item that is inferior to what you get out of the box.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I understand the aero importance. I was just responding to your comment.

I talked to T about this a little while back. My gut would like to see more flap and that's with CFD in mind.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If you wanted to knock this out of the park, I would find an aerospace engineer and approach it from a blank sheet approach. Lets face it, Ford already had a team of engineers and extensive testing to come up with what they did.

With that said, I am not saying that a better product couldn't be designed and produced. I am a function over form kind of guy. It could be butt ugly as long as it performs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you wanted to knock this out of the park, I would find an aerospace engineer and approach it from a blank sheet approach. Lets face it, Ford already had a team of engineers and extensive testing to come up with what they did.

With that said, I am not saying that a better product couldn't be designed and produced. I am a function over form kind of guy. It could be butt ugly as long as it performs.
I agree aerospace engineer 100%. Absolutely necessary.

I want to say I'm a function over form guy as well. Really I am to a degree, but if it works "nearly" as well as the Ford part and looks better I would be interested.

I would also expect it to be less expensive than the Ford part though.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I like the enthusiasm guys. You are several steps ahead though. As mentioned in my post, clear your mind for a minute. Don’t let all the other things cloud your vision.

Let the creative juices flow and let’s talk about all the possibilities of design without restriction. Performance calculations and tweaks will come later

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I like the enthusiasm guys. You are several steps ahead though. As mentioned in my post, clear your mind for a minute. Don’t let all the other things cloud your vision.

Let the creative juices flow and let’s talk about all the possibilities of design without restriction. Performance calculations and tweaks will come later
Is there an aerospace engineer in the house!!!!!

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Those were the OLD days, Earl...no way I'd want those crummy towels now. :-) MOF, I pulled a white rag/towel out of the bin the other day and noticed it still had "BDA" for the Bermuda BOQ on it that was still barely legible. <grin>

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Better is a tough term to use on something like this. Hours upon hours of testing brought us the swing and gurney flap for the GT500 and GT350. Put all that aside for a second. Clear your mind. This is meant to speak to the enthusiast that likes the stock look, but wants some edge. So I ask you this.....
What if you can have more? What if you wanted just a little more aggression? What if you just didn’t want the rear of your GT500 to look like a GT350 and vice versa? What if you didn’t want to pay money for a carbon fiber piece that looks exactly the same? What if you just want to flexx on all the other Shelby’s at the cars and coffee?
This two part project will be to redesign the wing and gurney flap to bolt into the oem locations. Giving the opportunity to keep your factory swing and upgrade the gurney, replace the swing and gurney, or just replace the swing.
3D Scans are done. Carbon fiber is ready. Pencil and some graph paper eager to get it on. Post up some pics of inspiration or thoughts on what you would want to see to make these “better”. Whatever that means.

1095D05B-F200-4F9F-8B43-F0312B36756F.jpeg
E39921ED-EEAA-4D8C-B012-D8824789C470.jpeg
Love this idea. I’m down for sending over some rough drawings and some inspiration. Most people with the CFTP likely won’t be upgrading their wing, I would guess, so whatever Rattlesnake you are designing would need to fit the existing swing holes. Looking forward to seeing your renders on this, and can’t wait for your order banks to open for the Python.

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Love this idea. I’m down for sending over some rough drawings and some inspiration. Most people with the CFTP likely won’t be upgrading their wing, I would guess, so whatever Rattlesnake you are designing would need to fit the existing swing holes. Looking forward to seeing your renders on this, and can’t wait for your order banks to open for the Python.

Ok. So I almost bought this wicker bill a few months back, but never pulled the trigger:https://ffperformance.co/product/li...d-mustang-mp-concepts-gt500-swing-wickerbill/
Love the look of it. Aluminum with the Lexan centerpiece.
It has more character than the gurney flap I have on my GT500.
If you could develop a carbon fiber version with the Lexan glass, I would be in.
But you would need the right, more angular swing to go with it.

I understand that the “swing” was engineered to death and it is very functional, but in, my opinion, it is the ugliest part of the GT500 base, and I”m not a fan of the risers on GT4 style wings like what’s on the CFTP.
There are some really great aggressive angles on the front of the car that just are not reflected in the back. From behind, if you removed the snake badge, it is the same swing as you can find on so many other mustangs and the rear looks identical (with the exception of the huge exhaust tips and the sound, of course).
However, you wouldn’t need to diverge far to improve the design, much like with the Python.
I would definitely favor a forged carbon fiber version of the whatever swing and gurney flap you create, as that would match the Python I’m going to be ordering from you.

You could widen the “nostrils”, make the angles of the “nostril” openings a bit wider and more angular and then fill in and flatten out the transition between the “nostril” to look like a hybrid of the swing and the CFTP wing.

Don’t know if that helps, but certainly look forward to seeing a render from someone.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ok. So I almost bought this wicker bill a few months back, but never pulled the trigger:https://ffperformance.co/product/li...d-mustang-mp-concepts-gt500-swing-wickerbill/
Love the look of it. Aluminum with the Lexan centerpiece.
It has more character than the gurney flap I have on my GT500.
If you could develop a carbon fiber version with the Lexan glass, I would be in.
But you would need the right, more angular swing to go with it.

I understand that the “swing” was engineered to death and it is very functional, but in, my opinion, it is the ugliest part of the GT500 base, and I”m not a fan of the risers on GT4 style wings like what’s on the CFTP.
There are some really great aggressive angles on the front of the car that just are not reflected in the back. From behind, if you removed the snake badge, it is the same swing as you can find on so many other mustangs and the rear looks identical (with the exception of the huge exhaust tips and the sound, of course).
However, you wouldn’t need to diverge far to improve the design, much like with the Python.
I would definitely favor a forged carbon fiber version of the whatever swing and gurney flap you create, as that would match the Python I’m going to be ordering from you.

You could widen the “nostrils”, make the angles of the “nostril” openings a bit wider and more angular and then fill in and flatten out the transition between the “nostril” to look like a hybrid of the swing and the CFTP wing.

Don’t know if that helps, but certainly look forward to seeing a render from someone.
Good data here. Some of what you mentioned is what I have penned out already. Glad to see someone else is on the same path. The goal is to make this a direct swap for all the base GT500 and GT350 cars.
Sponsored