gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Made some brackets and mounted the treadstone. Im starting to run out of things to do without the engine. 😫

* syke. still have all the suspension and some minor items to finish wiring.

treadstone mount.jpg
Who makes that tubular front bumper support?

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
weekly update, installed some trackspec hood vents to make the vent more functional and try to reduce the hood lift at high speeds. Of course, while cleaning up the cut edges i had to nick the painted surface. So now i'll be respraying the whole hood and bumper. There was a couple rock chip that have been bothering me also so i'll be glad to have this taken care of.

hood vents.jpg

Future reference. Go really slower and tape off the edges and cover literally as much as possible.

Engine update, its going through final machining.
machining.jpg

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Finally got my motor installed and running again.

To @NO1CARES, update on the Treadstone 1245R is I am able to hold 190-195* coolant temps easily in 83* weather here in SoCal last few days. That is with the front end fully assembled, and A/C running. I suppose the real test will be this summer when we see 3 digit temps.

But for now, all appears to be well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
oldpistons.jpg

Decided to wait 10 weeks for the diamond pistons instead of using some Mahle units that were on the shelf. Attached is a picture of the two worst pistons

In the picture below, you can see the compressed ring grove.

oldpistons2.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
oldpistons.jpg

Decided to wait 10 weeks for the diamond pistons instead of using some Mahle units that were on the shelf. Attached is a picture of the two worst pistons

In the picture below, you can see the compressed ring grove.

oldpistons2.jpg
Nice … edit
But you have to wonder about the Diamond pistons .
A year ago nobody would touch them due to known issues .
I had them in my first RPG voodoo rebuild and he says they literally “ate them selves “

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Nice … edit
I had them in my first RPG voodoo rebuild and he says they literally “ate them selves “
I wasn't aware of those concerns a year ago so I'll have to research into that. Its been a little over a year since i began using diamond. Also consider they are a local company from holbrook and very close to my home town.

I spoke with holbrook in regards to which pistons he would recommend and he said both mahle and diamond are good but he puts the diamond as slightly better.

I don't believe the concern was part failure due to the amount of detonation visible in the chamber. Actually in the picture showing the ring compression, you can see some of the detonation on the top of the piston hump.

note that my knock sensors were disabled due to false knock being experience in between gear changes. This system will be fully active now with the TH400 and should help with the detonation issue along with other upgrades i've done to try and combat heat and efficiency.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Glad I went with the Mahle! Sorry to see that... damn.

what fuel do you run?

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Glad I went with the Mahle! Sorry to see that... damn.

what fuel do you run?
Not sure if any piston would've saved me during this situation. Using pump E. measured 83% when i filled but mixed with some 75% so it was in that range.

Like stated before, the issue was the fact that i asked for more timing during the dyno session and didn't account for real world conditions and no knock detection.

This time around, i'll be much more accurate with the tune and id like to make the switch into ONE R fuel.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Nice … edit
i'm having a hard time finding anyone who wouldn't use diamond. If you could refer me to some of these situations, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Not sure if any piston would've saved me during this situation. Using pump E. measured 83% when i filled but mixed with some 75% so it was in that range.

Like stated before, the issue was the fact that i asked for more timing during the dyno session and didn't account for real world conditions and no knock detection.

This time around, i'll be much more accurate with the tune and id like to make the switch into ONE R fuel.

I'd agree, no piston would withstand what appears to be poor machine work.

Sucks you have to go through this... but its the reason I build all my own shit.

I don't trust anyone with this type of stuff.

My car has 20* of timing in it also on pump E85.... I doubt you had a timing issue.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
I'd agree, no piston would withstand what appears to be poor machine work.

Sucks you have to go through this... but its the reason I build all my own shit.

I don't trust anyone with this type of stuff.

My car has 20* of timing in it also on pump E85.... I doubt you had a timing issue.
Now it is possible for a cylinder to be out of round and create this issue but it would've began instantly. Also possible for the detonation to accelerate the issue but i really don't believe this to be the issue simply because it was a brand new block.

If you look at the second picture in the above post, you can see the detonation on the piston. you can see how the top edge has begun to round and also on top of the hump... Clearly shows too much timing. 22psi + 150 IAT + no knock detection with 12.1 compression is what im going to say triggered it. But it is what it is. Its being fixed even better and things have been put into place to prevent this from ever happening again.

And trust me. What id give to be able to do the machine work myself. I can measure and assemble but that's where it ends. Holbrook has treated me right and i'm not going to put the blame on anyone but myself for not putting a safe tune in it.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Now it is possible for a cylinder to be out of round and create this issue but it would've began instantly. Also possible for the detonation to accelerate the issue but i really don't believe this to be the issue simply because it was a brand new block.

If you look at the second picture in the above post, you can see the detonation on the piston. you can see how the top edge has begun to round and also on top of the hump... Clearly shows too much timing. 22psi + 150 IAT + no knock detection with 12.1 compression is what im going to say triggered it. But it is what it is. Its being fixed even better and things have been put into place to prevent this from ever happening again.

And trust me. What id give to be able to do the machine work myself. I can measure and assemble but that's where it ends. Holbrook has treated me right and i'm not going to put the blame on anyone but myself for not putting a safe tune in it.

Totally fair, just having a conversation. Ive learned from your thread, and hopefully folks have learned from mine and my mistakes as well.

Certainly could have been too much timing and high IAT.

How many miles were on the motor when you pulled it due to the noise?

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
of course. I appreciate all of your guys builds and value your opinions. This is what its for, conversations and learning.

Unfortunately it had roughly 2500 miles on it and 4 oil changes. not gonna lie, almost pulled the plug a few times specially with my son who arrived three weeks ago. This engine will have more value when compared to any of my other vehicles. But, i want to play and youve gotta pay to do so. This engine should last me as long as i take care of it. :facepalm:
Sponsored