Project NO1CARES (5.2/YSI-B/TH400)

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
vortech will give you credit for the JTB on a YSIB; also I've added some nitrous to help with IATs, well and the added power; something else to consider.
Sponsored

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, '19 Lincoln MKC,'16 F150, 65 Malibu SS
OP - what length/weight springs are you running on the front coilovers?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Surprised to see the engine fail as quickly as it did. Sorry to see that.

Was not surprised to see engine builder immediately say the tune was to blame lol.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
vortech will give you credit for the JTB on a YSIB; also I've added some nitrous to help with IATs, well and the added power; something else to consider.
I considered this when i sent the JTB for a rebuild. But honestly, the YSI isn't such a big upgrade. I'd like to see what the JTB can provide and take it from there. Going to have all my money tied up into this engine anyway now.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
OP - what length/weight springs are you running on the front coilovers?
I was looking at these and they only have vikings identifications on them

They are Kelltrac spec berserker coil overs.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I considered this when i sent the JTB for a rebuild. But honestly, the YSI isn't such a big upgrade. I'd like to see what the JTB can provide and take it from there. Going to have all my money tied up into this engine anyway now.
I got a ysib in a package deal from beefcake (a bunch of his used parts). I probably wouldn't have gotten one otherwise as I don't expect much difference either. I do plan on doing either back to back dyno or 1/4 mile runs at some point to compare. Probably keep one for a spare.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Surprised to see the engine fail as quickly as it did. Sorry to see that.

Was not surprised to see engine builder immediately say the tune was to blame lol.
there's no one to blame but myself. I knew i was pushing the intercooler limits and having higher IATS. It was good on the dyno but im sure real world conditions created some hotter temps and it probably had just a single degree too much timing.

1 degree of too much timing + High IATS + High compression + 22 psi of boost + knock detection turned off= failed ring tension.

I was hoping that i caught it soon enough but sadly, i did not. Now i'm paying for it.

I had the knock detection turned off in the tune due to contastly having false knock issues with the stick shift. Now with the TH400, i'll be able to have a functioning system and a much more efficient engine/intercooler so i highly doubt i'll see issues again. I'll find a weak link somewhere else im sure.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
I got a ysib in a package deal from beefcake (a bunch of his used parts). I probably wouldn't have gotten one otherwise as I don't expect much difference either. I do plan on doing either back to back dyno or 1/4 mile runs at some point to compare. Probably keep one for a spare.
I was watching that listing. I considered it. I also considered it when i got my crank support before the owner was selling a ysi also. Just the non billet version. So i passed.

I know lewis foster went to a YSIB and he was also telling me not to bother. I'm sure youll see some improvement but i was focused on doing these heads and lowering boost instead of trying to create more.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
there's no one to blame but myself. I knew i was pushing the intercooler limits and having higher IATS. It was good on the dyno but im sure real world conditions created some hotter temps and it probably had just a single degree too much timing.

1 degree of too much timing + High IATS + High compression + 22 psi of boost + knock detection turned off= failed ring tension.

I was hoping that i caught it soon enough but sadly, i did not. Now i'm paying for it.

I had the knock detection turned off in the tune due to contastly having false knock issues with the stick shift. Now with the TH400, i'll be able to have a functioning system and a much more efficient engine/intercooler so i highly doubt i'll see issues again. I'll find a weak link somewhere else im sure.
How much timing was in it?

What are you using to tune? Sorry, I wasn't aware it was you!

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
How much timing was in it?

What are you using to tune? Sorry, I wasn't aware it was you!
Unsure total timing. I hadnt even raced the car because i knew the mt82 was going to go at any minute. Just some pulls on the highway and what not. Never even reviewed the logs because i thought it was safe. probably hurt it on the dyno or one of the hot summer days when iat was high and i did a pull on the highway. Regardless, i implement a big intercooler and heads to reduce temps for the future.

Its tuned on hp tuner ngauge and been using rob for a very long time. even before he went to PBD.

But agian, i'm not blaming the tuner at all. He does what i ask. lol.

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Update on the engine; REAL lucky i pulled it. It wouldn't have lasted another hard pull before torching the head or block..

Found that for some reason the MMR/ARP 12mm head stud kit that i purchased came with smaller washers. I was curious in regards to this when i assembled the long block but simply didn't think much of it. Well, long story short. The head gaskets was one good pull away from compromising and the head stud washers were literally counter sinking themselves into the heads..

headgasket.jpg

headwasher.jpg

headbolt.jpg

On another note; The source of copper/bronze in the oil was not identified. So now the JTB will be sent out for a refresh also.. Mains looked perfect. Holbrook also determined that most likey, the noise i was hearing was piston slap because 3 cylinders lost ring tension and began scoring the cylinders. He said there's signed of detonation. I knew the timing was hot but didn't think much of it. Good thing the TH400 will make tuning the car much much easier.. Plus the upgrades with the valvetrain!

mainbearings.jpg

blocksidemains.jpg
This post made me go back and check the ARP headstud kit I have getting ready to go into my gen 3 build.

Your washers look to be smaller in diameter than the shoulder of the nuts!

Crazy... good catch.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Got some work done last night. Figured instead of spending money, I'll start installing some of these parts that are building up.

K member is loosely fitted. I plan to assembly everything and torque it all as an assembled unit.
IMG_8535.jpg

IMG_8536.jpg

Treadstone 1245R also showed up today. She's a thick unit! I'll be doing a side by side comparison once the vortech IC is removed.
IMG_8534.jpg
That's a beauty. I had that same cooler on my mind, but possibly the non-R unit. The R has more internal bars which means better intercooling at the expense of worse radiator cooling due to less air passing through the intercooler.

My car is street car first that will be used with the A/C on in the summer.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the 1245R though. If the 1245R can keep the coolant temps down, ill consider it.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
That's a beauty. I had that same cooler on my mind, but possibly the non-R unit. The R has more internal bars which means better intercooling at the expense of worse radiator cooling due to less air passing through the intercooler.

My car is street car first that will be used with the A/C on in the summer.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the 1245R though. If the 1245R can keep the coolant temps down, ill consider it.
considering my coolant temps on e85 never even reached the middle of the gauge using the 175 reisch t state. I really don’t see having any problems. It’s also a factory performance pack so it does have a slightly bigger radiator. I’ll let you know once I get it all back together.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Current update. Sleeves arrived Thursday and block is currently being machined.

Depending on how I'm able to either pick up the engine or have it shipped will indicate when the car is put back together but there's a chance to get it done before our boy is born end of april. The issue is now having a wife ready to pop and leaving for two days. Time will tell.

Thanks to all who's been following.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Sleeves are installed and final machining is in process. Heads are assembled and ready to go. From what i was told, it was just the sleeves that were the hold. Shouldn't take them long to assemble the long block.

Going to try and take two days to go there and back to pick it up. We will see.
Sponsored