Sponsored

Project 6GR Wheels & Bolt-On Spacer Issues

Killspray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Premium GT
Pic heavy.... sorry

I run 1" bolt-on spacers on all 4 corners with my stock PP wheels with no issues. I purchased a square 19x11 setup from Project 6GR with a +50mm offset and planned to run no spacer in the rear and keep my 1" spacer up front. I noticed something was up when trying to torque down my front wheels. My torque wrench clicked on all 5 lug nuts but when I went around a 2nd time to be sure, I could tighten them a little more before it clicked again. So I went around a 3rd time.... a 4th time... each time, it would turn a little more then click. Were the studs on the spacers spinning? Was my torque wrench busted? Was I accidentally upping the torque on the torque wrench each time? I was getting frustrated and was eager to get these wheels mounted to take a test drive around the block. So, going against my better judgement, I went around the lugs once last time torqueing PAST the click to make sure they were tight. Since I was on baby duty taking care of my 8 month old daughter, my buddy [MENTION=14107]tyshenry[/MENTION] volunteered to take the car around the block and test out them 305 R-S3's! As soon as he took off down the street, I panicked because i saw my front right wheel wobbling like crazy. :eyebulge: I called Tyson on his phone 3 times in a row hoping he'd pick up but it was on silent. Luckily, Tyson felt the wobble and didn't get far before coming straight back. To our surprise, the front lug nuts had backed off such that you could spin them the rest of the way off with your bare hand.

We took our time and finally got them properly torqued down all the way and went on another test drive. This time they held up and the square 19x11 setup wrapped in 305's proved to be quite the improvement over the stock setup.

It wasn't until I dismounted the wheels several days later that I was able to know for sure what was going on.

The stock studs poke through the 1" bolt-on spacers. However, the recess in the stock PP wheels were large enough and deep enough to compensate. I noticed the Project 6GR wheels had recesses too and just assumed they were in the same location and that I could bolt them on with no issues. Nope. The stock studs were fouling on the wheel. This is why I was able to keep tightening and tightening the wheel. I was compressing the aluminum wheel against the factory studs and was damaging the wheel with every turn of the wrench.

My solution was to hammer out the studs pressed into the bolt-on spacer and replace the stock studs with extended ARP studs. Rather than pay over $100 for a set of (10) 14mm extended studs, I paid $33 for a set of (10) 1/2" extended studs.

I had some small open-ended 1/2" lug nuts but the hex was digging into the conical portion of both my stock wheels and the Project 6GR wheels. So I found some longer, bulge lug nuts that work perfectly.

Honestly, tracking the car with 1" bolt-on spacers up front is debatable to begin with. Extended studs is the way to go. I just wanted to document this so the next guy won't make my same mistake and get out on the road only for his wheel to fall off....

Pics below.

Damage to Strut After Some Wheel Wobble:

Factory Studs Poking Through 1” Bolt-On Spacer:

Factory PP Wheel Recess VS Project 6GR Recess:

Bolt-On Spacer Mod w/ Extended Studs:

Too Small of Lug Nut in Project 6GR Wheel (Hex Digging):

Too Small of Lug Nut in PP Wheel (Hex Digging, Not Enough Hex to Bite, Rounding):

New Lug Nuts:

New Lug Nuts in Project 6GR Wheels:

New Lug Nuts in PP Wheels:

You notice the damage that the hex did on the smaller lug nuts? See the metal shavings left over?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
IDK (I don't design wheels for a living), but it does seem like the location of the relief cuts on the P6GR wheels weren't doing you any favors.

OP
OP
Killspray

Killspray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Premium GT
I just ordered a set of these from these guys. They make everything per order custom to clients specs. I'm getting a Track Spec-5 but I'm gloss black with red lettering. Give them a shout ifanthing the pricing was amazing for 6061-t6 forged wheel made to my exact specs. The company is RTF Wheels I randomly found them a few days ago and have been talking to Donnie seems like they've done s bunch of gt350r setups so far.
Those are pretty clean man. However, aside from the reliefs, I'm quite happy with the wheels. I love them.
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
How do those 11" wheels and 1" spacer fit within the wheel well? Seems like they would poke out quite a bit on paper especially if you are running stock style struts thus not too much camber.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Why put any spacer on the front at all? It seems like if you left the spacer off the wheel would sit just right and get rid of that nasty poke.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Why put any spacer on the front at all? It seems like if you left the spacer off the wheel would sit just right and get rid of that nasty poke.
Did you go to the link in the previous post? I assume you must have to be referring to the amount of poke. But if you had you would know why a spacer is necessary.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Did you go to the link in the previous post? I assume you must have to be referring to the amount of poke. But if you had you would know why a spacer is necessary.
I did see that post and that's why I made my comment. The front wheel is poking out way too much.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Killspray

Killspray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Premium GT
I did see that post and that's why I made my comment. The front wheel is poking out way too much.
In the other thread, you will see that even with a 20mm spacer up front, I only have 4.5mm clearance to the strut. If I remove the spacer, I'll only have -15.5mm clearance and I didn't want to risk running that aggressive.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Well, there are many different combinations of spacers and camber in that thread. Personally i dont think the 20mm spacer and 2.8* of camber has too much poke.

But either way, you are missing the point. The spacer MUST be run.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
In the other thread, you will see that even with a 20mm spacer up front, I only have 4.5mm clearance to the strut. If I remove the spacer, I'll only have -15.5mm clearance and I didn't want to risk running that aggressive.
But at least you won't have any poke.I'd say it's worth the risk.

OP
OP
Killspray

Killspray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Premium GT
How do those 11" wheels and 1" spacer fit within the wheel well? Seems like they would poke out quite a bit on paper especially if you are running stock style struts thus not too much camber.

....but to answer your question directly, you have plenty of clearance to the strut with a 1"/25mm spacer and can manage how much poke you have with camber assuming you have camber plates. I only run these wheels on the track so I max out the plates at almost -3* camber and the tire almost sits flush with the fender. I think they look good. However, I also tried a 20mm spacer and I think that looks best maxing out negative camber. Even with that spacer, I still had 4.5mm clearance.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Damn, square 19x11 is putting some serious meat up front.

How is steering feel with a 305?
Sponsored