Sponsored

Professional Ceramic Coating - Which Would You Choose?

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Wanting to get my new GT ceramic coated - and I don't want to do it myself. Found a local shop that is well-renowned and certified by Gtechniq (the guy is apparently a "trainer" for Gtechniq).

He gave me 3 options:

7 Hardness / 3 year warranty: $750
9 Hardness / 5 year warranty: $1300
10 Hardness / 10 year warranty: $1400

Obviously, I wouldn't consider the $1300 option... but the question is... is the 10H option worth about _double_ the 7H option?

One thing I've been wondering: is it better to have a coating that fades _faster_... so that about the time it's fading you can get the rest buffed off and treat any bigger scratches and reapply? Or is it better to go with a 10 year coating and it's so good you won't need to take it off and fix things along the way.

Any advice?
Sponsored

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can also mention that the guy says that the 10H option is "normally" $2400... but he has it for $1400 this month. No idea if that's true or not (maybe it's on permanent sale)... but it _could_ be a good "deal".

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I don't trust anything that uses "hardness" scales in advertising. As far as I know Getchniq doesn't rate their coatings in that way. A coating isn't going to prevent scratches from improper washing/drying.

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don't trust anything that uses "hardness" scales in advertising. As far as I know Getchniq doesn't rate their coatings in that way. A coating isn't going to prevent scratches from improper washing/drying.
Ummm - they absolutely do rate them using hardness: https://gtechniq.com/ceramiccoatings/ . I don't see why telling me the hardness of the coatings would be a negative. What other metric would he use to talk about the differences between the options?

I'm well aware of the limitations of ceramic coatings - I still want one.

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I dont see the 10h being twice as good as the 7h. Therefore it is not worth paying double the price IMO. Id save that $700 on the protection and invest in good equipment to hand wash the car to minimize scratches during maintenance washes.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Wow, those are GREAT prices in my honest opinion.

I'm thinking of taking my car to the shop a couple of towns over. They use a "self-healing" ceramic coating and is 9 year guarantee and the hardest ceramic coating you can get. I don't think I will be getting that coating as it's VERY, VERY expensive. lol
Feynlab is the name of the coating. I never heard of it till reading about it on their website.
Only certified and trained detailers are able to use their product.

https://www.feynlab.com/

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I dont see the 10h being twice as good as the 7h. Therefore it is not worth paying double the price IMO. Id save that $700 on the protection and invest in good equipment to hand wash the car to minimize scratches during maintenance washes.
Thanks - good points. I did already spend $500 on a good set of washing gear (mostly from chemical guys) and a car blow dryer. So: in a way I already did what you’re suggesting and maybe it would make sense to spend closer to $1k total on keeping the car clean than $2k…

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

I'm thinking of taking my car to the shop a couple of towns over. They use a "self-healing" ceramic coating and is 9 year guarantee and the hardest ceramic coating you can get. I don't think I will be getting that coating as it's VERY, VERY expensive. lol
Feynlab is the name of the coating. I never heard of it till reading about it on their website.

Thanks - maybe the guy is telling the truth on the $2400 option being on sale. What prices are you seeing?

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

BTW: I'm now thinking that as long as I'm paying the premium for a professional installer... I may as well also get the professional "juice" applied. If I wanted something on the lower end... I could probably do that myself. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it...

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
BTW: I'm now thinking that as long as I'm paying the premium for a professional installer... I may as well also get the professional "juice" applied. If I wanted something on the lower end... I could probably do that myself. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it...
It all depends on how much you use your car as well.
It makes the car's paint last longer, and brighter. So much worth it if you can afford it, you'll thank me later. LOL

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It all depends on how much you use your car as well.
It makes the car's paint last longer, and brighter. So much worth it if you can afford it, you'll thank me later. LOL
I'm planning to use it a _lot_... wanting it to be a "touring" car with many long, cross-country road trips. That's one of the primary drivers behind the coating - just to give some extra longevity for a heavily used car.

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here is the link to the place I am going to use.
I used a different shop for my truck.

(Scroll down the "SERVICES" tab, it's near the bottom of the page.)
https://www.bradsautoreconditioning.com/
Thanks - it looks like their Gtechniq 9 year is $2100... and that probably doesn't include any corrections. That lines up well with the $2400 my guy is quoting (which includes minor corrections and decon).

So, the $1400 may actually be a pretty "good deal".

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Thanks - it looks like their Gtechniq 9 year is $2100... and that probably doesn't include any corrections. That lines up well with the $2400 my guy is quoting (which includes minor corrections and decon).

So, the $1400 may actually be a pretty "good deal".
Definitely.
I say go for it, especially if you're going to use your car like you said.
Sponsored