Procharger Question: HO vs Stage 2

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Hey guys! Looking to boost my car soon and I'm torn between the Procharger HO kit and the Procharger stage 2 kit.

My goals are 600-650whp on 93 octane. The car is my daily driver and I don't race it at the track or anything. Just some highway pulls and back roads from time to time. I'll have longtubes and the stock GT manifold on the car with the supercharger.

What do you think is the best option for me? Also considering Paxton/Vortech. Thanks for your input! :cheers:
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I've gone back and forth with this same question as well as other S/C's ... personally, I'd go with the P1SC HO kit so as not to push the motor too much. One member bought the same kit but optioned up to the Stage 2 intercooler which I'd consider as well but I don't get the heat you will in Atlanta so might be a better bet for you.

Also, my assumption is that the P1 spools up a bit quicker than the D1 but not 100% sure on that.

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I've gone back and forth with this same question as well as other S/C's ... personally, I'd go with the P1SC HO kit so as not to push the motor too much. One member bought the same kit but optioned up to the Stage 2 intercooler which I'd consider as well but I don't get the heat you will in Atlanta so might be a better bet for you.

Also, my assumption is that the P1 spools up a bit quicker than the D1 but not 100% sure on that.
I was planning on running the P1SC with either the HO or Stage 2 kit.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I'm in the same spot. HO vs Stage 2. Zero interest in racing the car. I just want a fun daily driver and I want to use the car to learn how to work on it. Whenever I think of it, the questions just keep coming. HO v Stage 2? Do I really need OPG and CS if I'm keeping the power low? Should I replace my driveshaft and half shafts first? Blah blah blah... life is hard sometimes.

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I'm in the same spot. HO vs Stage 2. Zero interest in racing the car. I just want a fun daily driver and I want to use the car to learn how to work on it. Whenever I think of it, the questions just keep coming. HO v Stage 2? Do I really need OPG and CS if I'm keeping the power low? Should I replace my driveshaft and half shafts first? Blah blah blah... life is hard sometimes.
:lol: that's how I feel.

I think I'm buying a used kit locally. Stage 2 D1SC :headbang:

Sponsored

ColtonimusPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well I've got a stage 2 D1. Here's how I looked at it. The stage really is only the dedicated drive with 8 ribs and the intercooler. I chose the stage 2 because I definitely want s the intercooler, seeing the heat here in the south, and the simplicity of the dedicated drive. I also chose the D1 because it was only a $200 upgrade. So if I ever want to pull down and make more power, you have that option vs: maxing out the p1 and realizing you want more.

With that said, at the very least I'd opt for the stage 2 intercooler. You can never have intake temps too low.

Oh and Paxton's are great too, I only went with procharger because it looks more refined in the bay I think. Like it belongs.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
For both of the guys questioning what system I'd recommend HO with Stage 2 IC. If you're not dragging the car you won't need more power and you also won't need halfshafts for the guy asking. Your stock halfshafts will be fine on the street, even with DRs. Just don't attempt to launch the car from a stop and hop the bejesus out of it. Your stock driveshaft will likely be fine too. Run a DS safety loop just in case to avoid a catastrophe.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Using my car for the same purpose, I'm going with a Stage 2 P1SC myself.

Stage 2 has a bigger intercooler, and dedicated drive. The intercooler was most attractive to me, but the dedicated drive is too IMO. From what I've read supercharger belts can snap sometimes, and the tightening has to be just right. Id rather not affect the main belt with the SC, and give it it's own for simplicity. Can probably adjust the belt more accurately I would think too.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Just bought and self-installed my Procharger HO kit a few weeks ago.

I got the HO complete kit and upgraded to the Stage 2 Intercooler, and also did the helical gear upgrade on the headunit.

Wasn't concerned about the Stage 2 8 rib dedicated drive set up, the shared drive works perfectly with no issues. I don't see the 8 rib being necessary for a street car running around 600whp. The 8 rib is nice, but the extra $$$ wasn't worth it for my goals with the car.

The Stage 2 intercooler was only a $295 upgrade, which still kept the complete kit right at $6k. I got the bigger intercooler purely for maximum cooling efficiency since I live in a warmer climate.

With regards to Procharger VS Paxton, the Paxton is a very nice kit, I mainly swayed towards the Procharger because it is easier to install and I liked the placement in the engine bay.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I went with stage 2 be because like others I didn't want to touch the accessory belt and also wanted the 8 rib. Now if something happens to the blower belt while having fun I still get to make it home.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I wasn't aware of the difference in belt routing like that ... good to know!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I just did a thorough n/a build last year i have all the goodies and a centrifical style blower is best for me. Little to no changes will have to be made to my car. I had paxton 2200 sl on my last car so a stage 2 procharger with the D1 option will be my choice when I'm ready. My goal is 700 bonified rwhp and 650 ftlbs of torque. I already have tss pump gears and crank sprockets, Ford racing 1400 hp half shafts, a full Arh exhaust system etc.. i like the pulley 8 rib system set up, helical gears , and the non evasive install! Beefcake racing has the best prices.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Stage 2 with the D1SC...you will get the HO and at some point get use to the power and want more. It's the modding curse. If you don't do it now you will regret it when you see the cost to do it later.

Last edited:

DeepImpact 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I went with stage 2 be because like others I didn't want to touch the accessory belt and also wanted the 8 rib. Now if something happens to the blower belt while having fun I still get to make it home.
This was the main reason I went for the stage 2 and it already paid off when I blew a belt and was still able to make the trip home no problem

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Stage 2 was th D1SC...you will get the HO and at some point get use to the power and want more. It's the madding curse. If you don't do it now you will regret it when you see the cost to do it later.
I would agree with this. I went the HO route with the stage 2 IC. I just made the switch to E85 and am running 11.3psi on the P1. Guessing Im about to its limits.
Sponsored