Sponsored

Procharger H.O. Complete Kit Install and Review

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Why I chose Procharger
People have many opinions and preferences here. To me, ALL the manufacturers make a good kit. I'm not sure any ONE of the myriad of forced induction options is a CLEAR CUT champion. This is a good thing. Each kit has strengths and weaknesses. But a few things that came to mind when I sat down to make this decision were:

1. Value and price point
2. Drivability and power delivery characteristics
3. Ease of installation and reversibility
4. Low intake air temperatures
5. Low maintenance

Packaging/Condition of Contents/Organization/Instruction Manual
Packaging was more than adequate with an immense amount of packing paper to offer impact protection and keep things stationary. In fact, there was so much packing paper that you almost felt like you had to really scrutinize and pat down the contents to make sure you weren't throwing any parts/pieces away. I was actually relieved NOT to see those damn packing peanuts though. Those suck.

The condition of all components was as expected, like new. Nothing was dented, dinged, scratched or damaged. Nothing appeared to have been opened or used, refurbished or repackaged. Everything was clearly labeled in individual clear plastic bags with packing slips identifying the contents. The instruction manual operated logically and coordinated well with the organization of parts. In general, there was no skipping around from one bag of parts to another. At no time did I have difficulty finding the right part or the next part in succession as needed. Instructions were clear and images helpful. The kit was complete. Period. There was no running to the parts store. The only thing I had to purchase was additional antifreeze/coolant as I spilled a bit too much to adequately refill the coolant reservoir at the end.

Installation Procedure
This was my first time installing a supercharger. The manual calls for 5-6 hours, I believe that's possible, but likely for someone with a bit more experience than myself. I spent a couple hours at a time working on it over the course of a week. In total, I probably spent around 10 hours. I am a meticulous person by nature and I'm sure all the pictures I took slowed down the process quite a bit. I documented the process in my build thread for beginners (like myself) who have a desire to DIY and get a hands on with your build. Thread here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28920

If you can read and follow instructions and operate basic hand tools, the install is quite simple. In fact, IMHO, the hardest part is removing the factory sound tube. It's just hard to reach back near the firewall, especially if you have the Performance Package (K-brace and strut tower brace are somewhat obstructive). Assembling the kit was simple, I took my time and everything fit as designated. The fit and finish of the kit is outstanding. One thing that I was slightly concerned about in reviewing the installation manual was trimming the various silicone and rubber tubes. As it turned out, I only had to trim ONE tube - the supercharger outlet elbow. A simple process that involved trimming, test fitting, trimming and test fitting etc. Everything felt secure going together. The sheer simplicity of the kit is a major selling point.

Part of the install procedure involves copying the car's factory tune to the Diablosport InTune. The instructions were on point. After updating the handheld tuner, you then copy the file and email it to Procharger to receive your canned tune. I sent the email in the evening and it showed up around 9am the next day. Pretty quick turn around time. I was impressed.

The ONLY deviation from the kit that I made during the install was with the supplied supercharger inlet silicone elbow. In doing research on the kit, a few of the forum members commented on the difficulty of installing this tube over the mouth of the head unit. Some deemed the tube to be a bit too small. My understanding is that Procharger has revised this piece to address the issue. To avoid this difficulty, I opted to replace the inlet elbow with an aftermarket one. However, I did give the supplied elbow an install attempt just to see how difficult it might be. It certainly is a tight fit, but I believe I could've gotten it installed with a little patience. I simply didn't feel like messing around with it when the aftermarket piece slipped right on. Details are in my build thread that compare the 2 elbows.

Drivability and Power Delivery
One of the things I was interested in was preserving the stock nature and daily drivability of the car. The Procharger has ABSOLUTELY DELIVERED in this area. Hands down, the drivability is ON POINT.

The car starts and idles as stock. No unusual lights, stumbles, hesitation or hard starting. I believe the idle speed is slightly higher, perhaps 150-250 rpms or so. Hardly noticeable. There is a slightly detectable change in engine sound and exhaust tone as expected. I filmed the INITIAL startup at the completion of the install to capture either my success or failure:

[ame]

I also wanted to demonstrate the idle with the hood closed so that people could get a feel for what it sounds like. Keep in mind, I opted for the helical gearset upgrade which makes the headunit a bit quieter. The discerning ear can still identify a centrifugal blower. I think the phone recording accentuates the blower a bit more than it really is in person.

Also, you'll notice I am making a point to record the dash and center displays. I was wanting to record the intake air temp (IAT) and ambient temp to see the type of gradient that developed. The car had been sitting in the driveway idling for about 45 mins as I was trying to get it good and hot to also assess that the cooling system was working properly. Only a 10 degree gradient idling in the driveway? Outstanding. At cruising speeds, IAT's drop to 2 degrees above ambient. Breathe it in 5.0, breathe it in.

[ame]

Cruising around town and on the highway the car feels like stock. It does exhibit a different sound, I can now hear the intake sound of the engine taking in air whereas before the factory airbox concealed this. I like it. At the same time, with the windows up, it's barely noticeable. I like that too. It has the typical power delivery that centrifugal superchargers are known for; a predictable and gradual build that is absent when you want it to be but RUTHLESS when you want it to be.

Hitting boost is intoxicating. And nothing beats the SILENCE just before the power comes through. When the car is transitioning from vacuum to boost, the intake noise changes and goes silent before the hammer comes down. Really cool.

WOT is fantastic. Power builds RELENTLESSLY to redline. The car feels like a rocket ship. The further you push it, the harder she pulls. Power fade? Nonexistent.

Some forum members have encountered various issues pertaining to surging. My understanding is that the most recent tune revision to the Procharger canned tune has resolved this issue and I can certainly corroborate that claim. I am not detecting ANY surge at ANY rpm or throttle position. The car is smooth as silk.

Dynos and Boost
Baseline, bone stock dyno:

Procharger @ 8 psi:

The car exhibits an interesting pattern on the dyno, it seemed to gain power and torque on each additional run.

Quick vid of one of the runs. You can see that the claimed boost level of 8 psi was attained.
[ame]

An overlay of the stock dyno and Procharged dyno:

The car made 499hp to the wheels. That's a difference of 131 horsepower to the ground over stock. Not bad for a conservative/safe canned tune. Considering the way this thing drives, I'm happy!

Fuel Economy
I have not yet had a chance to get a feel for the change in fuel economy because I just can't resist hitting boost. Once the honeymoon phase is over, I will try to take a good road trip to properly assess. Until that time it's TBD.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Great write up. Thanks.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Strange that you aren't making any more power than stock until 4,000 rpm, no?

Are you going to look at getting a custom tune locally or via Lund (or someone)? Would think there is some torque to be picked up as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Thanks everybody!!

Are you going to look at getting a custom tune locally or via Lund (or someone)? Would think there is some torque to be picked up as well.
I'm no expert. But, I believe that is a typical power delivery curve for a centrifugal supercharger. As RPM rises, boost rises and thus horsepower.

In fact, many people choose centrifugal superchargers for just that reason. Makes the car easier to handle in lower gears.

Concerning the custom tune, I haven't decided yet. I'm REALLY enjoying the car right now. It drives so well, but has so much power on tap. I drive it daily and it feels great. But who knows, horsepower is like money right? Never too much...

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
In the dyno video posted it appeared the car was ran in 4th gear. Did you ever do a pull in 5th?

OP
OP

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
In the dyno video posted it appeared the car was ran in 4th gear. Did you ever do a pull in 5th?
All runs were done in 4th gear.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hmmm... 130hp for 6k+? I thought these kits were making 600 wheel out of the box.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
very nice

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Thanks everybody!!

I'm no expert. But, I believe that is a typical power delivery curve for a centrifugal supercharger. As RPM rises, boost rises and thus horsepower.

In fact, many people choose centrifugal superchargers for just that reason. Makes the car easier to handle in lower gears.

Concerning the custom tune, I haven't decided yet. I'm REALLY enjoying the car right now. It drives so well, but has so much power on tap. I drive it daily and it feels great. But who knows, horsepower is like money right? Never too much...
For sure that is how they make power - they do typically follow the stock curve, but since you are (I assume) in boost before 4,000rpm at wot, I would have thought there would have been differences earlier. But I'm no expert. As long as you are loving it. :)

OP
OP

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Hmmm... 130hp for 6k+? I thought these kits were making 600 wheel out of the box.
Is it possible you are referring to the Stage II kit? Mine is the H.O. kit.

And "6K+"? Are you talking RPMs? I certainly didn't pay that much for a H.O. kit.

very nice
Thank you!

For sure that is how they make power - they do typically follow the stock curve, but since you are (I assume) in boost before 4,000rpm at wot, I would have thought there would have been differences earlier. But I'm no expert. As long as you are loving it. :)
:shrug: Maybe someone else will chime in.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia

He is making 50 more wheel torque at 3250 RPMS with the blower

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
He is making 50 more wheel torque at 3250 RPMS with the blower
How do you figure?

The torque delta at about 3250 it is pretty much nonexistent. At 3350 there is maybe +15 hp gain. Torque (and hp) is all over the place below 4,000. Pick a point under 4000 and it is a toss up whether stock or SC is putting down more hp/tq.

It is not until 4,000 that both hp and torque are consistently and significantly higher than stock.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
How do you figure?

The torque delta at about 3250 it is pretty much nonexistent. At 3350 there is maybe +15 hp gain. Torque (and hp) is all over the place below 4,000. Pick a point under 4000 and it is a toss up whether stock or SC is putting down more hp/tq.

It is not until 4,000 that both hp and torque are consistently and significantly higher than stock.
Compare the first stock dyno at 3250 vs the after boosted dyno at 3250 roughly 50 wheel torque
Sponsored