Procharged - Worried about cats failing but need to pass inspection in Texas

OP
OP

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
As much of a car guy as I am,....that's the best bet.
It sucks, but it is what it is. Totally sucks.

Alex Flores and Lund Jr both have videos out on Yoututbe on this very subject. They know A LOT more than we do as they are in the industry. Lund Racing and VMP both got visits from the EPA.
Right, that’s what I meant about this being a hot topic in 2021+

I really hope the Cat industry get serious quickly about making products that perform, are legal and support 800+ HP consistently without failing.
I also hope the legal tuning industry does not go away.
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried OEM cats from high output V8 and V12 cars like AMGs? They seem much more suited for the abuse than anything we can get from Ford or aftermarket.

OP
OP

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried OEM cats from high output V8 and V12 cars like AMGs? They seem much more suited for the abuse than anything we can get from Ford or aftermarket.
That’s the kind of advancements and options I’m taking about.

Can I get a bolt on replacement with something like a 2020 GT500 Cat?
We need better legal reliable options for 700+ HP cars.

Reactions: XS

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Right, that’s what I meant about this being a hot topic in 2021+

I really hope the Cat industry get serious quickly about making products that perform, are legal and support 800+ HP consistently without failing.
I also hope the legal tuning industry does not go away.
I agree 100%!

I don't see tuners going away as long as they comply with the government and their strict rules.
Same with performance manufacturers.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think it is wishful thinking. Even for Ford it took almost two years to get their performance pack calibrations CARB approved. Based on what the EPA is saying, you can't modify anything from the stock tune and if you do, it has to be CARB compliant. No way the tuners can get CARB compliant as they don't have the resources.

Other than changing your air filter or putting on a catback, there is almost nothing you could do that wouldn't require the at least some of the following from the EPA bulletin that are violations of the Clean Air Act -

" engine calibrations that affect engine combustion (e.g., fuel injection or ignition timing, injection pattern, fuel injection mass for each injection event, fuel injection pressure, EGR flowrate, mass air flowrate, EGR cooler bypassing)"

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I think it is wishful thinking. Even for Ford it took almost two years to get their performance pack calibrations CARB approved. Based on what the EPA is saying, you can't modify anything from the stock tune and if you do, it has to be CARB compliant. No way the tuners can get CARB compliant as they don't have the resources.

Other than changing your air filter or putting on a catback, there is almost nothing you could do that wouldn't require the at least some of the following from the EPA bulletin that are violations of the Clean Air Act -

" engine calibrations that affect engine combustion (e.g., fuel injection or ignition timing, injection pattern, fuel injection mass for each injection event, fuel injection pressure, EGR flowrate, mass air flowrate, EGR cooler bypassing)"
Interesting.
We'll have to see how it all pans out. The 2 guys from Lund that posted videos on this subject say it's business as usual and they are not going away.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Interesting.
We'll have to see how it all pans out. The 2 guys from Lund that posted videos on this subject say it's business as usual and they are not going away.
For now...the gov't hasn't levied any fines as of yet...Catless, Off Road and Tuning devices are being pulled off the market by those that sell them at a break neck pace. Check Beefcake, Stainless Works, NGuage and many major automotive parts suppliers. Many of the google links will take you to blank pages.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect on that.
You need to watch the videos man. It's not good.
Sorry, yes there have been fines mostly related to diesel engine tuners. As far as Lund so far the EPA has just made copies of all tunes and vins. But look at the forum, other companies are dropping all related products as fast as they can.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Sorry, yes there have been fines mostly related to diesel engine tuners. As far as Lund so far the EPA has just made copies of all tunes and vins. But look at the forum, other companies are dropping all related products as fast as they can.
I'm not talking about the diesel guys. It was a big name Mustang tuner that paid the fines.
And yes, sad to see companies dropping long tubes and catless products as well as other items.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
I'm all for being legal and having clean air.
It just frustrating that right now we can't upgrade our cars(700+ HP 2015+ Mustang GT) and be able to do it safely legally since the technology of Cats has not caught up to us. They all fail.

I guess we could buy 2020 GT500 cats, saw them off and install them, buy why is that not available?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'm all for being legal and having clean air.
It just frustrating that right now we can't upgrade our cars(700+ HP 2015+ Mustang GT) and be able to do it safely legally since the technology of Cats has not caught up to us. They all fail.

I guess we could buy 2020 GT500 cats, saw them off and install them, buy why is that not available?
I’m curious if the cats on the 500 are the same as the regular GT and if not, what’s different?

What allows the cats to live on the 500, Dodge Demons, ZL1s and Z06s?

Wonder if meth injection would be easier on the cats?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I’m curious if the cats on the 500 are the same as the regular GT and if not, what’s different?

What allows the cats to live on the 500, Dodge Demons, ZL1s and Z06s?

Wonder if meth injection would be easier on the cats?

Material of cats I assume.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
There is going to be a huge market out there for cats that can truly handle the heat and power like these high horsepower cars do from the factory.

If you want to play by the rules and assuming your exhaust shop does too (if using one), it is illegal to remove working emissions components from your vehicle. That being said, if the cats do indeed fail, at that point you can remove them and replace with something else.

We just need a good option as I am also crossing my fingers with my stock cats with the Whipple going on my car at the moment. I have no desire to have a loud ass stinky car with no cats. Plus I have emissions here in IL.

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So my question is how do these higher HP cars like the GT500, Hellcats, Demons, ZL1's all manage with cats? Do they eventually burn up like every other cat or are they made to withstand that power level? Same thing for super cars.
Sponsored