Problem with Steeda dual rate springs.

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
I got Steeda dual rate springs a couple of weeks ago. I keep hearing some noise in front.

I jacked the car up and tried to find the problem. It seems that the first couple of coils are sitting on each other at ride height. So that explains every time I go over some bumps or pot holes I hear these noises? I had the Eibach sportline before and this never happen.

Are these springs supposed to have sleeves with them to stop them from damaging each other and making noise?

Could some body help me to clarify on this. Thanks very much.
20190721_142120.jpg
20190721_142128.jpg
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I got Steeda dual rate springs a couple of weeks ago. I keep hearing some noise in front.

I jacked the car up and tried to find the problem. It seems that the first couple of coils are sitting on each other at ride height. So that explains every time I go over some bumps or pot holes I hear these noises? I had the Eibach sportline before and this never happen.

Are these springs supposed to have sleeves with them to stop them from damaging each other and making noise?

Could some body help me to clarify on this. Thanks very much.
20190721_142120.jpg
20190721_142128.jpg
No, the Dual Rate Springs use no isolators. Furthermore, the first few coils are ment to touch each other. Also, the springs do not make noise. Check your torque on your strut nut and the sway bar endlinks are properly torqued. If not resolved please reach out to [email protected] on Monday.
Thank you,
Steeda Tech

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
No, the Dual Rate Springs use no isolators. Furthermore, the first few coils are ment to touch each other. Also, the springs do not make noise. Check your torque on your strut nut and the sway bar endlinks are properly torqued. If not resolved please reach out to [email protected] on Monday.
Thank you,
Steeda Tech
At first I thought the nuts on the top of the struts are loose but it wasn't the case. I've tried to torque everything again but it's the same noise.

Are those springs supposed to get damaged like that?

Thanks.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
At first I thought the nuts on the top of the struts are loose but it wasn't the case. I've tried to torque everything again but it's the same noise.

Are those springs supposed to get damaged like that?

Thanks.
The springs are not damaged. They will show contact marks as shown in your picture which is normal.How did you torque the center strut nut?
Thanks,
Steeda Tech

OP
OP

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
The springs are not damaged. They will show contact marks as shown in your picture which is normal.How did you torque the center strut nut?
Thanks,
Steeda Tech
I torqued the center nut to 70ft lb and 3 mounting nuts to 46ft lb per Steeda instruction. I have Proaction adjustable. Thanks.

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
A few weeks ago I had Steeda progressive rate springs installed by a fantastic shop that only works on Mustangs. I really like the springs.
Question = Are the dual rate springs the same as the progressive springs?? Thanks.

OP
OP

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
A few weeks ago I had Steeda progressive rate springs installed by a fantastic shop that only works on Mustangs. I really like the springs.
Question = Are the dual rate springs the same as the progressive springs?? Thanks.
No, I don't think so. From what I understand progressive springs get stiffer as springs are compressed. Dual rate springs have two separate spring rates. Steeda front springs have rate transition from 230 to 350lbs/in.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
As Steeda Tech mentioned, its best to email Jaime. Do you have camber plates too, or no?

TJ

OP
OP

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
As Steeda Tech mentioned, its best to email Jaime. Do you have camber plates too, or no?

TJ
I don't have camber plate.

Do I need camber plate? I don't think it affects how the springs compress, does it? Thanks.

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
Bobombo,

I have had these dual rate springs for a couple years, and I personally had trouble getting the top strut nut torqued. Work with Steeda on your issue - I had some various problems with my setup, and they were great to work with, and will take care of you. (Look up older posts by me if you want more info...)

Depends on what kind of noise you heard, it is either the strut "loose" (knock), the rubber isolator/bearing (old hinge creaking), maybe the assembly at the top is not aligned (seems OK in your pic), or something loose at the bottom of the strut. Anyway, the Steeda folks will help you!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Bobombo,

I have had these dual rate springs for a couple years, and I personally had trouble getting the top strut nut torqued. Work with Steeda on your issue - I had some various problems with my setup, and they were great to work with, and will take care of you. (Look up older posts by me if you want more info...)

Depends on what kind of noise you heard, it is either the strut "loose" (knock), the rubber isolator/bearing (old hinge creaking), maybe the assembly at the top is not aligned (seems OK in your pic), or something loose at the bottom of the strut. Anyway, the Steeda folks will help you!
I had no problem torquing the center nuts.

I hear knocking noises like metal to metal but not very loudly. It seems to happen when there is expansion and followed by compression like a pot hole or some drops.

Does it matter which stud goes to which hole for the strut mount?

What do you mean exactly "something at the bottom of the strut"?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, mine did come with plastic sleeves on them (both front and rears). I’d call Steeda directly.

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
I hear knocking noises like metal to metal but not very loudly. It seems to happen when there is expansion and followed by compression like a pot hole or some drops.

Does it matter which stud goes to which hole for the strut mount?

What do you mean exactly "something at the bottom of the strut"?
Just guessing that something is not seated correctly. The strut nut is always the first culprit. Steeda can walk you through checking it.

I replaced my strut mount with camber plates. I THINK it will only go one way, and making sure it is seated is what I was referring to. I would expect the noise to be very obvious though if it was not. I had the top rubber seat/bushing go bad on one of mine, causing the creaking sound when turning.

At the bottom of the strut, again just thinking something is loose or unseated. The strut would be hard to not know, but the anti-roll bar end link could be an issue. I replaced my fronts with Steeda parts, because the factory ones bent after one track day - they are notoriously weak.

Keep checking and you will find the source. If you can get the wheel off the ground and make it happen while stationary, you may have better luck tracking down the noise.

Good luck!

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
I had the same issue, resolved by reorienting the spring because the bottom end wasn't perfectly in the right place on the r/s strut mount.

Jigar@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
How are we on this noise? Were you able to find the culprit?
Sponsored