Prices are on the rise......

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
Analog performance cars are dying an accelerated death, thanks to government regulations, electrification and tech for the sake of tech. Not everyone wants to drive an appliance, but new cars are going in that direction.

Keep in mind that a base model R could not be built today, thanks to no backup camera.
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Analog performance cars are dying an accelerated death, thanks to government regulations, electrification and tech for the sake of tech. Not everyone wants to drive an appliance, but new cars are going in that direction.

Keep in mind that a base model R could not be built today, thanks to no backup camera.
Agreed! That and people who cant get their face out of their phones. Despite the claims, ICE is here to stay for a while. M<y guess is as long as it take for the next technology which will put EVs on the same path

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Agreed! That and people who cant get their face out of their phones. Despite the claims, ICE is here to stay for a while. M<y guess is as long as it take for the next technology which will put EVs on the same path
Define awhile. Almost every make is shutting down new ICE development. The platforms released over the next few years will probably be last mass market ICE chassis. Through 2030 you're still in good shape with relatively modern platforms however they will be aging and not getting replaced. I expect boutique makes to carry the torch for awhile, but stuff like the mustang is absolutely going away once sales on the s650 dip enough. Thing is performance EV will easily outrun almost any ICE. You'll have to have a distinct preference for ICE to buy one by 2030 I bet.

Fleet users are salivating at EVs from a cost saving perspective. People who buy cars as transportation appliances will buy whatever is cheap and cheap to run. EV's are predicted to be cheaper than ICE to make by 2030 without incentives. ICE will be on life support in the 2030's.

That doesn't mean it disappears immediately of course. You can expect a 20 year service life on the last ICE cars. They'll be about in normal use up to 2050ish, depending on fuel prices. I'd expect in the 2040's it'll be as weird to have a ICE car as having a EV is today though.

LR272

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 CFTP HE; 2020 GT350R HE; 1987 LX 5.0
I wonder to what degree the people paying these prices are investing or simply trying to accumulate the best examples of ICE due to the extinction event everyone is expecting from EV’s. I specifically went after my R for the latter because there will never be another Voodoo and it has the best characteristics of ICE in spades. I want that brash and loud rasp with a manual transmission as my toy car, even more so once everything has gone silent.
What he said

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Define awhile. Almost every make is shutting down new ICE development. The platforms released over the next few years will probably be last mass market ICE chassis. Through 2030 you're still in good shape with relatively modern platforms however they will be aging and not getting replaced. I expect boutique makes to carry the torch for awhile, but stuff like the mustang is absolutely going away once sales on the s650 dip enough. Thing is performance EV will easily outrun almost any ICE. You'll have to have a distinct preference for ICE to buy one by 2030 I bet.

Fleet users are salivating at EVs from a cost saving perspective. People who buy cars as transportation appliances will buy whatever is cheap and cheap to run. EV's are predicted to be cheaper than ICE to make by 2030 without incentives. ICE will be on life support in the 2030's.

That doesn't mean it disappears immediately of course. You can expect a 20 year service life on the last ICE cars. They'll be about in normal use up to 2050ish, depending on fuel prices. I'd expect in the 2040's it'll be as weird to have a ICE car as having a EV is today though.
I agree with most of what you stated above including the timeline. To do it we will have to build many more power generation plants at the cost too high to even speculate. Those studies came directly from the US Government. The American people will not put up with brown outs and as of now, there is no solution. The EV market will continue to grow and grow fast. I would drive one in a heartbeat around town for the savings alone although the true cost is not shown in most places. And the infrastructure needs vast improvement. That will happen. Range needs to be expanded and the affect of cold weather needs to be figured in. Performance wise, yes the performance EV is quicker than an ICE platform, not faster though. Still waiting to see a ICE vs EV at a road track in 10, 20 say, 30 minutes sessions. Where the ICE uses fuel, in general there is little to no loss in power. With a battery, we all know they will lose power as they are used. Again, I'm not anti EV like some but, I think when you look past what excites us about the EV, its best to look at the shortcomings too. And ICE have those shortcomings too but they have been developed over the years. EV has been around as long as the ICE but never enjoyed that development

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
RIght now most people seem to have a preference for ICE because they cost less and generally they work better. Longer range, quicker and easier to refuel, less costly to repair, etc.

It should be interesting to see if EVs get good enough that people want to buy them. And it should be interesting if people don't buy them. Then what will happen? I mean obviously anyone who doesn't have a house with a garage probably isn't buying an EV. People who don't have the extra money laying around to rewire their garage for high voltage probably aren't going to buy EVs. People buying a million Ford pickups every year are probably less likely to buy an EV. Who's going to give up on ICE? Maybe rich people, but will they buy enough EVs to satisfy the car manufacturers?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It seems that each generation wants to "do" less and less. A growing percentage of coming-of-age drivers will happily go EV (if they want to drive at all) just to avoid going to a gas station.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
As long as 90% people are living hand to mouth while subsidizing EVs there will be no EV mass adoption. They are simply unaffordable.
This always come up, but the simple fact is poor people don’t buy new cars. Even once they get down to ICE levels and running costs are actually a lot less. They will get them inevitably as the used market changes composition. Relatively well off people will drive EV adoption.

ccrook

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It seems that each generation wants to "do" less and less. A growing percentage of coming-of-age drivers will happily go EV (if they want to drive at all) just to avoid going to a gas station.
It's just not a priority for most. A lot of people (especially younger generations) own a car cause they have to, not because they actually care for the vehicle/are enthusiasts. The majority of my friends have Tesla's on order, because EVs have become efficient enough that they're hard to beat day to day. Basically no maintenance, no gas, and batteries are rated for 300k+ miles. The price of EVs has kept most out in the past, but with other manufactures jumping in the market it will lower that price point significantly.

Sponsored

ccrook

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Wi be interesting to see which 4th world country is the expired battery dumping ground....most of Africa learned already from medical waste and fast fashion...who else it left?

Canada is a good possibility!
Elon claims Tesla recycles 100% of their battery components. Do I trust Elon? Not sure, but lithium batteries are essentially 100% recyclable so it might be accurate.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A lot of younger people don't want to own homes, so that may conflict with any desire to buy an EV.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
It's just not a priority for most. A lot of people (especially younger generations) own a car cause they have to, not because they actually care for the vehicle/are enthusiasts. The majority of my friends have Tesla's on order, because EVs have become efficient enough that they're hard to beat day to day. Basically no maintenance, no gas, and batteries are rated for 300k+ miles. The price of EVs has kept most out in the past, but with other manufactures jumping in the market it will lower that price point significantly.

Exactly the reason I bought a Tesla Model 3 the same year as my GT350R. Keeps me from daily driving the mustang for a long time 😎