2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Was pretty surprised to see this result. $103,950 final price on a 2019 GT350R

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2019-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-16/
As I mentioned, people canā€™t just use BAT as bible on what their car is worth. Itā€™s a good guide, but as with any auction, itā€™s on the extreme high side of retail. You can literally save at least $10,000 on the same car by shopping elsewhere. Iā€™m sure there may be a little wiggle room on these two as well.

19R 1000 miles asking $91,800
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=608353182&clickType=myATCsavedcar

19R with 100 miles asking $89,500
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=607993247&clickType=myATCsavedcar

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
As I mentioned, people canā€™t just use BAT as bible on what their car is worth. Itā€™s a good guide, but as with any auction, itā€™s on the extreme high side of retail. You can literally save at least $10,000 on the same car by shopping elsewhere. Iā€™m sure there may be a little wiggle room on these two as well.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=608353182&clickType=myATCsavedcar

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=607993247&clickType=myATCsavedcar
I disagreeā€¦ Again, itā€™s all about what one will pay and desire.

Magnetic is a color thatā€™s been in the whole production. Iā€™m honestly amazed at this price, but thereā€™s one key detailā€¦ KR624.

This late production R may be more valuable to the buyer as he/she may have wanted as close to a 2020 as they could get, and unlike the autotrader examples you submitted, BaT cars, unless Iā€™m totally mistaken, are more vetted.

Impressingly, all cars have commanded well over MSRP, and thatā€™s not just inflationary changes.

Last edited:

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]

That 1000 mile is a ā€˜20, with a whipple too. Should sell quick.

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Magnetic is a color thatā€™s been in the whole production. Iā€™m honestly amazed at this price, but thereā€™s one key detailā€¦ KR624.

This late production R may be more valuable to the buyer as he/she may have wanted as close to a 2020 as they could get, and unlike the autotrader examples you submitted, BaT cars, unless Iā€™m totally mistaken, are more vetted.

Impressingly, all cars have commanded well over MSRP, and thatā€™s not just inflationary changes.
Ok, since my other examples were not good, here is a sought after color, similar miles as the BAT car. $20,000 less

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST&clickType=listing

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

With KR624 being assembled in July, 2019 that is certainly a very late 2019 production R model and helps extend the power train warranty for any given owner.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one said your other examples were not good. This owner evidently is happy to ask for less. Thatā€™s his call.

If I had to compare presentation on BaT vs autotrader, in this case the BaT presentation looks more worthy of a $90k performance auto.
The R is my FAVORITE mustang to date, but even I am able to take the blinders off for a minute. No matter how much you want to believe it, BAT is not the end all. Folks I know purchasing the R model privately are not paying anywhere near auction prices.

My point is, these cars can be bought and are being bought at more reasonable levels outside of the auction setting.

On the flip side people are obviously paying much much more so who is right here?

I personally would never pay $20,000 more for a comparable car that is listed with pretty pictures from an auction site vs Autotrader.

Im just playing devils advocate here.

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Since these GT350Rā€™s are rarely close to see in person, The BAT auctions bring the distance buyers more of a almost there experience, also you get to ask questions from the owner and others grill them for problems that may be lurking. Some pay more for the @ having coffee at their houseā€ experience. Itā€™s bringing more buyers from afar and some even resale their cars later and the price they paid sets a bar . This is why they get more in my opinion ( I sold my Saleen through them ) great experience. But buyers usually pay more .

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The R is my FAVORITE mustang to date, but even I am able to take the blinders off for a minute. No matter how much you want to believe it, BAT is not the end all. Folks I know purchasing the R model privately are not paying anywhere near auction prices.

My point is, these cars can be bought and are being bought at more reasonable levels outside of the auction setting.

On the flip side people are obviously paying much much more so who is right here?

I personally would never pay $20,000 more for a comparable car that is listed with pretty pictures from an auction site vs Autotrader.

Im just playing devils advocate here.
The buyers of off auction cars likely realize they are getting a better deal on the cars and many will be aware of auction prices...Those new owners are going to be reluctant to re-sell without considering the higher prices that seem easily attained on BaT... So in this regard, BaT will help the prices trend upwards, IMO.

I just tried to buy a truck from a private seller and I can tell you that his price closely aligned with many of the similar caliber trucks that have sold on BaT. So in a way, BaT..being as popular as they are these days, DOES seem to be setting the bar when it comes to certain specialty cars.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The buyers of off auction cars likely realize they are getting a better deal on the cars and many will be aware of auction prices...Those new owners are going to be reluctant to re-sell without considering the higher prices that seem easily attained on BaT... So in this regard, BaT will help the prices trend upwards, IMO.

I just tried to buy a truck from a private seller and I can tell you that his price closely aligned with many of the similar caliber trucks that have sold on BaT. So in a way, BaT..being as popular as they are these days, DOES seem to be setting the bar when it comes to certain specialty cars.
Not only does BaT help set the bar for hammer pricing, but so does live auctions such as Mecum, RM, Russo & Steele, BJ and many others.

The typical owner of an R model is very well informed and are intelligent individuals and if anyone thinks just because they consign their R models privately or with a lesser venue than BaT that they will be providing someone with a deal just because they did not go through BaT or any other well known auction house is largely not the case.

There any many members on this forum that have sold their R models privately or decided not to use any sort of well known auction house such as BaT and they held out for very good market place pricing and certainly don't blame them for that.

To suggest that BaT final selling pricing is on the extreme high side is just not the case otherwise BaT or any live auction houses such as Mecum would simply not be so successful and would not be in business for very long if their business model was not viable over the long term.

Obviously the most important and key element of selling any cool or rare vehicle is a high level of marketing and a great deal of exposure.

There is no question that BaT does a very good job on both of those fronts thus their extremely high sales rate along with very good hammer pricing for their consignors speaks for themselves.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I do have to mention - because my above post seems like it contradicts some of my previous statements... The auction is also quite a bit of theatre. It has always paid off to put a bunch of people with a bunch of money into one place and then sell them things at the top of the market pricing....not unlike tourists at a cruise port ;) - this definitely makes the prices a little inflated. My point above was that you cant ignore a popular marketplace like that when you consider what is driving perceived value of an item. "setting the bar" might have been overstated.. Setting "A" bar is probably better.
Sponsored