Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
500 miles. I wonder how many of the base cars don't get driven because their owners saw them as future collectibles vs. because the electronics package makes the car much more livable in the real world. Would be interesting to know average mileage for cars with/without the electronics package. I certainly don't think that most of us feel or care about the extra 60 lbs or whatever when going around the track, and every minute not on track, it sure is nice to have AC.
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
500 miles. I wonder how many of the base cars don't get driven because their owners saw them as future collectibles vs. because the electronics package makes the car much more livable in the real world. Would be interesting to know average mileage for cars with/without the electronics package. I certainly don't think that most of us feel or care about the extra 60 lbs or whatever when going around the track, and every minute not on track, it sure is nice to have AC.
Doesn’t really matter. What one decides to do with their car is their prerogative. Either way, it’s interesting to see the price above MSRP.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Doesn’t really matter. What one decides to do with their car is their prerogative. Either way, it’s interesting to see the price above MSRP.
I suspect condition and model will drive the price, I see some of the older cars still commanding a high price. Also, when I was at the dealership waiting on my car, I walked over and looked at the used GT's they were all listing for low 40's.

Made me a bit annoyed as I did not get a good trade on my 2019 GT PP2 since they kept appraising it as a PP1 and did not understand that it was a different car. However, I more than made up the loss on the cost of the "new" car which was a 2019 Z06. Ford screwed up on the PP2 in my opinion, they should have considered it the BOSS 302 IMO or at least given it a special designation. Of course, now seeing the prices and what they sold my 2019 PP2 for, someone got a hell of a deal!

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
No, it doesn't matter, but it interests me. Which is why I wrote "I WONDER."

I guess curiosity and general interest is a dying thing. I'd be willing to bet at least a few base car buyers liked the concept of purity of purpose and minimal weight, but ended up not enjoying the reality. What I'm curious about is whether that is a small or large number, proportionately.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I certainly agree that most enthusiasts don't really care about the 15 delete items that come on these Base R's (thus only 135 cars ordered/produced over 4 model years) but in my case these are the type of HP equipped vehicles that I grew up with back in the Muscle Car era therefore one of these 135 Base R's appeals to me a great deal even though my track days are long over.

As far as the weight difference between an Electronics Package equipped R and a Base R model I have owned and weighed both at the same CAT scale and also scaled them in opposite directions.

The weight difference with approximately the same amount of fuel in each vehicle was closer to 90 pounds than the 60 pounds that you refer to.

:sunglasses:

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I certainly agree that most enthusiasts don't really care about the 15 delete items that come on these Base R's (thus only 135 cars ordered/produced over 4 model years) but in my case these are the type of HP equipped vehicles that I grew up with back in the Muscle Car era therefore one of these 135 Base R's appeals to me a great deal even though my track days are long over.

As far as the weight difference between an Electronics Package equipped R and a Base R model I have owned and weighed both at the same CAT scale and also scaled them in opposite directions.

The weight difference with approximately the same amount of fuel in each vehicle was closer to 90 pounds than the 60 pounds that you refer to.

:sunglasses:
There is certainly a long history of these types of models: the BMW 3.0 CSL, E36 M3 Lightweight and E46 M3 CSL, the Porsche RS and R models, etc. I get the idea and the point. My musing was strictly to what those owners wanted and what they ended up experiencing, and whether it met their expectations or not.

As for the weight, published delta was more like 50 lbs
"The 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 weighs 3,760 lb as standard or 3,791 lb with the optional Track package. The R model, meanwhile, tips the scales at 3,655 lb or 3,703 lb with the optional Electronics package."

Interesting that your measured result was quite disparate from that.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There is certainly a long history of these types of models: the BMW 3.0 CSL, E36 M3 Lightweight and E46 M3 CSL, the Porsche RS and R models, etc. I get the idea and the point. My musing was strictly to what those owners wanted and what they ended up experiencing, and whether it met their expectations or not.

As for the weight, published delta was more like 50 lbs
"The 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 weighs 3,760 lb as standard or 3,791 lb with the optional Track package. The R model, meanwhile, tips the scales at 3,655 lb or 3,703 lb with the optional Electronics package."

Interesting that your measured result was quite disparate from that.
As far as meeting my expectations the 3 Base R's that I have owned all not only met my expectations but exceeded them.

Not only do these cars sound a little louder due to no carpet barrier insulation and moisture barrier insulation especially in Sport Mode but when driving a Base R back to back to an Electronic Package car I could feel the pure rawness of the Base R model compared to my Electronic Package car.

Bottom line is that any R model is an outstanding automobile no matter how it is equipped or what color/stripe combination that it comes with. :like: :like:

My CAT scale tickets indicate 3,620# for my Base R and 3,705# for my Electronics Package car.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Another important feature for the base GT350R I believe is that their is no accessory drove belt for the AC compressor found in electronic package cars. One less maintenance/wear item that can also potentially ruin your track day if it fails. Also no AC evaporator cool issues as well 😄

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Those base GT350R are special cars for sure. They are closest in spec to the original Shelby American cars. Would have been cool if they stripped out even more weight by replacing the Magneride dampers with a adjustable coil over like the ones on the ZL1 1LE.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If the Rs end up as coveted as we hope - the base will possibly be more valuable…but using other examples, there are usually more differences. Using 964 RS America for example - you could order with or without ac, sunroof and limited slip diff. The ones without ac, without sunroof and WITH limited slip are going to be the most valuable now. Base and electronic technically have the same performance with any difference being weight alone but at the sacrifice of significant comfort. IMO Ford should have removed AC but added a cool suit system, rollcage and perhaps lighter brakes like the AP units. Kind of a R Cup car.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Real interesting that the odometer reads 526.2 ! Sound familiar? LOL
Rex, very cool catch on your part and as usual you are at the top of your game!!

If I was not so old and in the hunt for a Base R Model I personally would be all over this very rare R model as it is just 1 of 4 Base R models produced for the 2017 model year.

It is my understanding that the owner of this dealership bought this rare 2017 Base R Model for his son after which time it did not go anywhere therefore it is presently up for sale and that all the original provenance comes with this very cool car.

Anyone looking for a rare and outstanding looking 2017 Base R Model should be taking a very close look at this very low mileage example!!

:wink:

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Just a reminder, this LFG R is crossing the block next Friday at mecum, https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-471140/2018-ford-shelby-gt350r/

They've also added a Heritage R to the block that will also cross the same night. It's the first non tech package heritage. https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-462136/2020-shelby-gt350r/

Should be fun to watch and see what they bring.

God, they got the color of the picture all wrong for the Leadfoot.

Leadfoot gray is a hard color to photograph and to get right. The hue of the color in those pictures is all wrong, they need to bring back the highlights.

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase