Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
Pretty common spec but she looks to be a great condition. Nice to see the window sticker and supplement kit comes with the car. Good luck finding those on a dealer lot if they've been traded in. Most places I called when I was looking for mine did not have the kit, which was a instant deal breaker for me.

I'm not too familiar with bringatrialer site.... is it similar to ebay bidding? Or do bids actually matter there?
its much better than ebay. if you bid they put a hold on your credit card and the winner pays 5% commission up to $5,000. so you dont get the b/s and excuses you get from ebay buyers when they change their mind. they also do a decent job monitoring for fake bids and remove them it they suspect one. if you screw around they will suspend your account and keep your money if you back out.

doug demuro also started a site called cars and bids to compete with bring a trailer. its off to a slow start but its growing and it is giving BAT some competition to improve to stay on top. like leno also says, competition makes everybody better.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thought I might add more the "prices are on the rise" discussion. I did write earlier about the '66 GT350 I bought during the big price drop in 1966. Here's a few items for serious thought.
Some may not believe the following, but it's 100% true.

a) In 1969 I bought a 1969 Z28 for $4K
b In 1989 bought a 1967 Corvette roadster, black/black red stinger (black a big deal on older Corvettes), 435 hp, side pipes, all original, documented from day one, complete but needed total restoration, even added original red line tires. Only thing I'll say is that non of the auction sales come close.
c) Then, bought a 1969 Corvette coupe, black/black, side pipes, four speed, L89 (aluminum head 435 hp engine). Very rare combination due to original pricing. 6,800 miles, never restored (still had original spark plugs, belts, foam air cleaner filter, tires, etc. nothing ever changed). Same final comment as b) above.
d) Bought two 1965 GT350's, #028, one of the original 35 cars built in Venice, CA, before LAX cars, and #383, a never restored, never shown, complete car. Both cars concours restored, SAAC judged Gold. #383 was selected by Koni shocks to be the centerpiece in their 2019 SEMA booth.
Pete Brock stopped by early one morning, we spoke a bit, and Pete said it was of the finest restorations he had ever seen. #028 will be shown at this years Amelia Island Concours.
e) And now for the one that will undoubtedly produce interesting comments. In 1972 I saw an ad in the Competition Press "newspaper" for a Daytona Coupe. Price was published, $27,500. At that moment probably could have bought the car for $26.5-27. I saw to close relatives that we should buy it and that it would be "worth a fortune down the road". I did not specifically quantify the comment. They all thought I was nuts. Today I would have no trouble whatsoever to sell the car for $35+ million. Easily. Keep in mind that the year before last a 1962 Ferrari GT0 sold for
$75 million. Just so no one feel sorry for my story, in 1972 you could have bought a GTO for
$9,500. That wasn't my area of interest at the time. I had been at the 24 hrs of Le Mans in 1965 where I saw the Daytona's race.

Thought I'd help out the thinking about "price rises". I did not buy my 2019 GT350 on that basis, but no doubt, given it's engine alone, it'll eventually (whenever that may be) be a classic of some sort. For those that don't think so because of the production numbers keep in mind that the total production of 2015-20 is about the same as the 1969 Z28 production (not even including 1967-.8 Z28's).

Hope this isn't too long, or boring. Thought I'd put it out since it's all fact, and at least for us car fanatics, interesting, and true.

Congratulations on having owned some very cool cars with some of them being the best of the best at the time and still are to this day.

No question that the L71 Corvettes back in the day were very cool but to have an L89 optioned L71 Corvette was super rare with less than 400 of those cars built for the 1969 MY.

I distinctly remember when the 1967 L88's launched early that year with the biggest hold up for the launch of the '67 L88 Corvette being that Chevrolet was waiting for the L89 aluminum heads to be finally designed and completed.

Once Chevrolet finally had the L89 aluminum heads in their hands (~January, 1967) the rare L88's (just 20 cars) were off and running to every road track and drag strip that they could find.

With myself being a long time Ford enthusiast your '65 GT350 and chassis "SFM5028" is obviously very interesting to me.

I could be wrong but suggest that your GT350 is the 4th last car to not have a "Street" or "Race" designation in the VIN for your car.

Starting with car #32 the GT350 VIN's then started to indicate an "S" or an "R" in the VIN with the first street car being "SFM5S032" with the first competition car sold to the public being "SFM5R094".

As far as the number of Z28's in 1969 your point is well taken as Chevrolet built 20,302 Z28's for the 1969 MY which was the last year for the 1st generation Z28's and take note of the last 3 production numbers which just happen to be "302". Suggest that was not a fluke and happened by design.

The total production numbers for our 2nd generation GT350's should be ~25,000 therefore not very far off of the '69 Z28 numbers as you mentioned earlier.

Around the time that you were doing much of the above I was doing much the same as I had the 5th built 1969 1/2 A12 Road Runner in my garage and at the same time I also owned an AMC 1969 1/2 SC/Rambler and kept that car for some ~24 years and then sold it to a nice fellow in Minnesota.

As you are probably aware Chrysler's A12 Road Runner engine namely the "440 6 BBL" was the answer to the Chevrolet's L71 427 tri-power big block set up and it took two years for Plymouth and Dodge to answer with the M code Road Runner and Super Bee's in March of 1969.

Like you I hope that my rambling on is not too long or boring for some of our members! :wink:

DSCF1822.JPG

DSCF1845.JPG

scan.jpg

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I was actually going to buy a 1969 Roadrunner, with the hemi. The problem was, given my age, to say the insurance was high would be an understatement, plus I lived in NYC. So you get the picture. I bought the Z28 at Baldwin Chevrolet in Baldwin, LI, jus down the road from Motion Performance, where I had some additional items installed. Like with other makes and their famous dealers, Baldwin was of the same caliber.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
So, long time forum lurker, first post-

Any speculation on how GT350 prices are going to change over the next 6 months?

I finally am getting to a position where I can afford to spend coin on a car and Ford cancels the GT350 (so flipping frustrating). I think the Mach 1 is ugly as sin, and can't imagine buying it while the GT350 still exists.

In a regular non-pandemic world, I would buy a used model year 2019 350 with low mileage for ~5k+ under MSRP, but right now prices are just crazy high, with MY 2019's with <15k miles selling for at or over MSRP. That being the case I would normally just buy new, but there is almost no new 2020 stock left, and the only ones left have insane ADM on them.

Do y'all think prices are going to make more sense, should I go after a MY 2017 instead (2016 being out due to reliability concerns), or do I just bite the bullet and get a GT500 instead, since I can buy that new and pay MSRP? I think I would prefer a GT350, but the 500 sounds like a better value offering at the moment...

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I don't think the 2016 is less reliable than any year. Only caveat is that non-track pack option 2016s need the coolers installed if you want to open track it.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

I finally am getting to a position where I can afford to spend coin on a car and Ford cancels the GT350 (so flipping frustrating). I think the Mach 1 is ugly as sin, and can't imagine buying it while the GT350 still exists.

In a regular non-pandemic world, I would buy a used model year 2019 350 with low mileage for ~5k+ under MSRP, but right now prices are just crazy high, with MY 2019's with <15k miles selling for at or over MSRP. That being the case I would normally just buy new, but there is almost no new 2020 stock left, and the only ones left have insane ADM on them.

Do y'all think prices are going to make more sense, should I go after a MY 2017 instead (2016 being out due to reliability concerns), or do I just bite the bullet and get a GT500 instead, since I can buy that new and pay MSRP? I think I would prefer a GT350, but the 500 sounds like a better value offering at the moment...
Mach 1 much?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Obviously the 2020 GT500 and whatever year/model of GT350 that you prefer they are very different vehicles and totally different driving experiences therefore I suggest that you take your time and really figure out what you want from your driving experience enjoyment?

Personally if you were going to spend ~$80K on a new GT500 I would suggest that there should be many options to consider with respect to a new or used GT350.

Not sure if you have driven or at least ridden in either model but suggest that you somehow get the opportunity to drive and experience both vehicles after which time you would be in a much better position to make an informed decision based on your driving aspirations.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Obviously the 2020 GT500 and whatever year/model of GT350 that you prefer they are very different vehicles and totally different driving experiences therefore I suggest that you take your time and really figure out what you want from your driving experience enjoyment?

Personally if you were going to spend ~$80K on a new GT500 I would suggest that there should be many options to consider with respect to a new or used GT350.

Not sure if you have driven or at least ridden in either model but suggest that you somehow get the opportunity to drive and experience both vehicles after which time you would be in a much better position to make an informed decision based on your driving aspirations.
Yea, nothing there to disagree with. I'm still in the contemplative stage of the purchase I suppose- I'm moving to Oklahoma for a new job soonish, and that's when I'll have disposable income. I'm not sure with cars like the GT350/500 if the dealer will let you test drive, but my guess is probably not. I'll try and reach out via here/facebook groups to see if I can't find any local owners who will let me ride along.

Right now, I've been dailying a manual MX-5 for the past 5 years and adore it. But life changes, and now I have a toddler and my wife complains that I can't pick him up if she is busy and has her crossover at work. So I was hoping to pick up a GT350 as a fun third car for both me and the kid. I'm attracted to the GT350 because I've read the manual transmission is sublime compared to the regular GT, and the engine just sounds amazing. Plus it would be fun to have a more limited edition vehicle that won't depreciate as hard (with low mileage) as a plane jane GT.

I don't really have too much interest in the GT500, it's more frustration looking at used car prices and thinking the GT500 would retain value better over the long run. But you're right, I really need to drive or at least ride in them to better figure out what would be more enjoyable.

Seeing your flair, any thoughts on a "best" MY for the GT350 from a value perspective?

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
If you’re moving to Oklahoma soon, where do you live now?
We like to share our cars with others that are interested.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yea, nothing there to disagree with. I'm still in the contemplative stage of the purchase I suppose- I'm moving to Oklahoma for a new job soonish, and that's when I'll have disposable income. I'm not sure with cars like the GT350/500 if the dealer will let you test drive, but my guess is probably not. I'll try and reach out via here/facebook groups to see if I can't find any local owners who will let me ride along.

Right now, I've been dailying a manual MX-5 for the past 5 years and adore it. But life changes, and now I have a toddler and my wife complains that I can't pick him up if she is busy and has her crossover at work. So I was hoping to pick up a GT350 as a fun third car for both me and the kid. I'm attracted to the GT350 because I've read the manual transmission is sublime compared to the regular GT, and the engine just sounds amazing. Plus it would be fun to have a more limited edition vehicle that won't depreciate as hard (with low mileage) as a plane jane GT.

I don't really have too much interest in the GT500, it's more frustration looking at used car prices and thinking the GT500 would retain value better over the long run. But you're right, I really need to drive or at least ride in them to better figure out what would be more enjoyable.

Seeing your flair, any thoughts on a "best" MY for the GT350 from a value perspective?
The 350 and 500 are always going to be desirable cars. Percentage-wise, I cant imagine one holding a significant amount of value over the other...maybe the edge goes to 500 over the 350 but comparing the 500 CFTP and an R - dare I say, the R could edge it out.

I guess my point is - buy the car you want because basing it on which one will hold more value is a wild ass guess...and they should both do pretty well overall.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 350 and 500 are always going to be desirable cars. Percentage-wise, I cant imagine one holding a significant amount of value over the other...maybe the edge goes to 500 over the 350 but comparing the 500 CFTP and an R - dare I say, the R could edge it out.

I guess my point is - buy the car you want because basing it on which one will hold more value is a wild ass guess...and they should both do pretty well overall.
Caveat... depends on how many years and units for the 500.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Caveat... depends on how many years and units for the 500.
Hard to say but I'm not sure that would matter unless they just stop making the 500 now. They are both interesting cars for different reasons.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You're on target in your "plug in the wall" comment. They're trying to convince us all that "electricity" will solve ALL of our problems in the world. Gosh, I can't wait to fly across the Pacific in an EV passenger aircraft.
yea, just wait until the EV batteries start hitting their life expectancy — then the world will go back to ICE because there’s no way the landfills and scrap yards can ever handle the influx of “dumping” now useless vehicles... because no one is going to spend $10k for just battery replacement... LMAO.

oops... back on topic - yes car prices are going up across the board.

Has anyone run their GT350 or GT350R through Carvana or Vroom to see what they are laying out?

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3

I think your first task is to decide which car (either GT350 or GT500) is best for you. You have been daily driving an MX5 so I doubt you want go to a DCT equipped car, and don't really need/want 600+torque, but again choice is up to you. Then, next choice would be Recaro or standard comfort seat, then color. In my opinion, the best value in a used GT350 would be documentation of meticulous maintenance and a one owner car if possible, as well as a current warranty, regardless of the model year. My 2016 GT350R close to 18,000 miles and going strong, bought from owner who is a forum member who purchased new.

Now, if you want to modify and run a supercharger or turbocharger, the consensus is the 2019+ model year better because of the engine block and other improvements shared with the GT500.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yea, just wait until the EV batteries start hitting their life expectancy — then the world will go back to ICE because there’s no way the landfills and scrap yards can ever handle the influx of “dumping” now useless vehicles... because no one is going to spend $10k for just battery replacement... LMAO.

oops... back on topic - yes car prices are going up across the board.

Has anyone run their GT350 or GT350R through Carvana or Vroom to see what they are laying out?
Carvana doesn’t have the HEP on the list of options and said, “You’ve stumped us. We’ll get back to you.”

Vroom did have the HEP in its list of options and stated, “Our specialists will have to consider your auto.”

This tells me that even Carvana and Vroom need to review these cars for a car-by-car value do the changing market.
Sponsored